Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

JorgeA

Hi Laurence,

Wow, your research is amazing!

Sorry about the typo on the "Windows 8 Start Menu" application -- that's what happens when I'm in a rush. :blushing:

I'll be done with my project tomorrow and then I'll fix that and also add the new ones you keep finding. :thumbup Then I'll put them in alphabetical order.

Your suggestion to add descriptions or brief company info and various other fixes is good, and I'll do that step by step. It's also sensible to check all of the links every so often and make sure they still work.

Gratefully,

--JorgeA

I see that the link for Ezy Start Menu for Windows 8 listing no longer works, and doing a few quick searches did not reveal an alternative working link.

I just looked into that and got the same (lack of) result as you. References to the Ezy Start Menu have disappeared from the author's website, so it looks like it's been withdrawn.

Taking it off the list. One less alternative to try out, for those who are feeling overwhelmed by the mountain of choices. ;)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Reorganization of the list has begun -- it's now alphabetized.

Some items that otherwise would seem to be not in order were kept in consecutive listings because they're intended to work together. As the organization of the list improves, I may put these together on the same line/entry.

A future (next?) step will be to break out the Start Menus and Buttons from the Metro bypassers.

--JorgeA

And another (free). . .

Taskbar Classic Start Menu

Hi Laurence,

Do you know if this one works on a Win8 system? The website says that it requires Vista or Win7, but I couldn't find any mention of Windows 8 specifically.

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

I couldn't remember if I had tried that one out, so just gave it another go around; yes, it installed on my Win8 system without any hiccup (that I am presently aware of).

Yes sir, it looks like Ezy Start Menu is the first casualty. :o

And JorgeA, "the list" is looking up, revised and improved! :thumbup

regards,

Laurence

Wentutu Start Menu has a serious bug with 'All Programs' list if your Windows 8 root drive is other than C. My Windows 7 is on drive C, my Windows 8 is on drive D; I've installed Wentutu on Win8 and it shows me 'All Programs' from my Windows 7.

Thanks for the bug report! Did you notify the author? Maybe he will fix it.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

--JorgeA

I did, I reported the bug and suggested a few options, but the author wouldn't reply.

If your Windows 8 is on drive other than C, you'll see what I mean, Wentutu can't see other drives.

Huh, thanks for letting us know. I'll keep the listing but add a note to this effect.

Please do post the news if you ever hear back from the author, or if the problem gets fixed.

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

Unfortunately there is no information on Wentutu's website regarding the version of their software, or what fixes if any have been made between releases. However, having said that, I downloaded their Start Menu again this morning; and according to the version number (discovered only upon initializing the install process) now at v.1.6, and the file size which is 47 kb larger, and the Digital Signature is now time stamped Nov. 27, 2012 - I am going to 'assume' that something has changed, and am wondering if 'Servelius' (or any other who had experienced the same bug, and has the same computer setup as Servelius) might give it another go to see if the bug he reported has now been fixed.

This morning I also emailed Wentutu's support and asked about the above, but from what I read, I won't hold my breath waiting for a response. . . but just in case.

regards,

Laurence

Another. . .

Start 4 Seven (free)

It works in Win8. It is very basic and portable (no install process), and includes a WinXP style Start Button (you chose where to place it onscreen: the center, or the lower or upper left or right), and the button provides what looks to be a complete All Programs list. It does not provide any built-in means to bypass the Metro/Modern start screen, nor automatically start with Windows.

regards,

Laurence

Edited by Laurence

Unfortunately there is no information on Wentutu's website regarding the version of their software, or what fixes if any have been made between releases. However, having said that, I downloaded their Start Menu again this morning; and according to the version number (discovered only upon initializing the install process) now at v.1.6, and the file size which is 47 kb larger, and the Digital Signature is now time stamped Nov. 27, 2012 - I am going to 'assume' that something has changed, and am wondering if 'Servelius' (or any other who had experienced the same bug, and has the same computer setup as Servelius) might give it another go to see if the bug he reported has now been fixed.

This morning I also emailed Wentutu's support and asked about the above, but from what I read, I won't hold my breath waiting for a response. . . but just in case.

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for following up on this!

Let me know if they ever reply. I'll keep their listing unchanged pending verification (from them or from a user) that the bug has been fixed.

--JorgeA

Hi Laurence,

Thank you for following up on this!

Let me know if they ever reply. I'll keep their listing unchanged pending verification (from them or from a user) that the bug has been fixed.

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

Today I received an email from Wentutu support. . . (inhale & exhale :-)), and in it they stated the bug (which Servelius reported on in this forum) has now been fixed in their latest release.

regards,

Laurence

PS) Wentutu's response email in Full:

Re: Wentutu Start Menu - bug fixes?

On 2012-12-02 00:09' date=' Laurence wrote:

> Hi there,

>

> On another website a user had reported: "Wentutu Start Menu has a

> serious bug with 'All Programs' list if your Windows 8 root drive is

> other than C. My Windows 7 is on drive C, my Windows 8 is on drive D;

> I've installed Wentutu on Win8 and it shows me 'All Programs' from my

> Windows 7." And according to that user, he says that he had reported

> the bug.

>

> This morning I recently downloaded your program again, and I see that

> upon initializing its installation it now says version 1.6 (whereas

> the version tried by the fellow above was an earlier version). And so

> I am writing to ask if the above said bug has now been fixed?

>

> Thank you for your kind offering.

>

> Sincerely,

> Laurence

Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback and support. We have fixed this

issue. Now you may have a try with the latest version.

Best regards,

Wentutu[/quote']

Hi JorgeA,

Today I received an email from Wentutu support. . . (inhale & exhale :-)), and in it they stated the bug (which Servelius reported on in this forum) has now been fixed in their latest release.

:thumbup

Glad to see that they finally got back to you. We'll take off the disclaimer about Wentutu and see if anybody else tries it and reports the bug in their new version.

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

When you next update the list (and obviously only if you want to make the change) there are three programs which presently do not point to their own home pages: 8StartButton, Tihiy's StartIsBack, StartOnDesktop. Two point to downloadcrew.com and Tihiy's is pointing to the MSFN forum.

8StartButton home site is: https://www.totalidea.com/8startbutton/index.php

StartIsBack home site is: http://www.startisback.com/

StartOnDesktop home site is: http://www.joshcellsoftwares.com/2012/01/StartOnDesktop.html

regards,

Laurence

Christmas is getting closer by the day. . . go figure eh. ;-)

Hi Laurence,

They're fixed now, great. I also updated the URL for Power8.

AFAIK, Tihiy's StartIsBack didn't yet have its own website when I created the list, so it's good to see that it's striking out on its own. I'm leaving in place the link to the MSFN discussion for the benefit of those who'd like to trace the history and details of the project.

BTW, I loved that signature. Reminds me of the guy who used to tell me every November that, "Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday this year, so plan accordingly!" ;)

--JorgeA