WinPE Login Password

brokenwall

We have a WindowsPE image that we have built and are including it on new computers we provided to our clients so we can boot into the PE so we can access the machines remotely and image them if need be. I use to use an old BartPE that was based on XP and when booting the disc it would require a password before the environment would load. I am looking to see if anything like this available for WinPE 3.0

If you download the free MDT 2012 from Microsoft , and look at the MDT 2012 boot media you find two vbscripts (litetouch.vbs and litetouch.wsf) that together with a HTA provides a logon screen to both WinPE 3.0 and WinPE 4.0. You can "borrow" these scripts to your own custom WinPE image.

MDT 2012 also helps you integrate DaRT into the boot image, so you can remote into it. (like Real VNC, but Microsoft).

If you want to password protect the actual PXE boot process you can add an open source menu (part of syslinux) to your WDS server... here is a step-by.step guide on how to do that. http://www.deployvista.com/Blog/JohanArwidmark/tabid/78/EntryID/126/language/sv-SE/Default.aspx

/ Johan

This PE environment is not going to be used for PXE or similar services. It will be booted from either a DVD or WIM via a BCD edit. To provide a proper clean environment for us to test, backup, restore a computer in the field. We are trying to prevent users from being able to boot into the environment or the disc and have full access to the machine unless we supply the credentials to login to the environment.

BartPE, AFAIK, is similar in nature to WinBuilder ("LiveXP"). See this Wiki and this Wiki.

Based on that, I'm not sure I understand the question. Your initial description suggests you used a BartPE plus an Image with which you "loaded" onto the PC's in question.

I would suggest a method more like a WinRE/WinBuilder?

(note: boot-land.net is now reboot.pro)

Where I use to work we had a WinXP CD that was built using BartPE it would allow us to require login so that people couldn't access our CDs with our tools for their own use.

The image we are working with now, was built using another utility that builds a WinPE 3.0 disc that has a feature provided by one of our vendors. It feels and performs just like a basic PE disc. We have added extra applications to the disc as we needed. We are just trying to password protect the environment.

@submix8c

what your suggesting is that we use Winbuilder which will build basically a portable Windows 7 environment that will allow the same features of WinPE for deployment plus added things like the security options. Since the site is not loading for me at the moment. Is this utility still follow the rules and licensing of WinPE 3.0, this will only be used for clients with Windows 7 so there for the are fully legal in having a PE disc to us to use as needed on that machine.

I see the site is also temporarily down (maintenance)? I'm also a member there (as are many members here) but have never posted.

BartPE builds from XP (not PE) the same as Winbuilder-XP. This makes it somewhat irrelevant to even use WinPE as WinPE is usually just a "stripped down" Windows which ALSO uses (AFAICR) a Windows CD to build it (I have all of the PE-versions, supplied by signing up as an OEM). Not having used the later WinBuilder software I don't know how well it will work or if it allows for Passwords. Note that I don't use the WinPE's from MS anymore since the alternate method (Winbuilder) is IMHO vastly superior.

Google cache of one such project as an example. Google this:

winbuilder reboot.pro "pe3"

All you need is to modify your winpeshl.ini to launch a wrapper that prompts for a password. Then if the password is correct, then it will launch whatever application your normally would. Here is an example of a credential prompt I had built for WinPE to restrict access to cmd.exe: