LAN problem in Windows 7

Bangali

Hi,

Suddenly my LAN network in windows 7x64 has started with problems. In summary I have a NAS attached and I see it by IP. Pings are OK (192.168.1.99) and I can detect it by using a sofware that scans IPS. However in My Network I can see it or ping it by name. I have reset both Winsock and TCP/IP by using NETSH commands but no luck in seeing any LAN device (printer, NAS or even wireless connected PCs). I can acces internet though a router + acces point and all the devices are attached to ETH ports in the router (192.168.1.1). Any suggestion on how to debug this problem wil be greatly appreciated. I can ping the router and even access it using the webbrowser. It seems a problem resolving names or attaching names to IPs.

Thanks

Tripredacus,

Many thanks for your reply.

I presume you mean canNOT see it or ping it by name.

Yes, correct.

This is a home network with a main computer running Windows 7, a Synology NAS DS1511+ and 3 Laptops connecting wireless.

The Router (192.168.1.1) is a Comtrend with a wireless access point and connects to the main computer (192.168.1.5) . The router has DHCP activated and uses the DNS of the ISP provider. This is the result of ipconfig/all

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet

NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-D9-98-4C-16-E2

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ec53:6142:d539:4b55%17(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 475847064

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-84-25-70-1C-6F-65-D9-47-AD

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 80.58.61.250

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Is this information enough? If this is not the case please let me know what additional info do you need

Thank you

In a network without a local DNS server in place, typically you should be able to resolve local hostnames as long as NetBIOS over TCP/IP and/or Network Discovery (Windows Vista+) is enabled. BUT, the hardware you want to connect to needs to support this type of identification.

Looking at NAS FAQ, it seems they want you to use some "File Browser" to connect to the device.

http://www.synology.com/support/tutorials_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=486

Or Synology Assistant... In fact, all of their tutorials show using the IP address rather than the device name.

So I'm not sure how you can get it to broadcast its device name, I mean other than using a DNS server... which would be silly for just 1 device. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. It is true that synology config is by IP but only the setup is done I was able to see the name. In addition I do not see the wireless Devices I used to see...

So if a local DNS server could be a good solution I will try to install it if you could suggest a good tutorial/software. My version of Windows is Windows 7 ultimate x64.

Many thanks

The wireless devices are something else, something to do with a firewall inside the router that isolates the physical from wireless connections.

Actually.... doing DNS would be a pain.... I just had an idea... Why not add an entry for the name and IP into your HOSTS file?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29

Maybe that will be enough to work.

Hi,

Thanks again. The situation has improved a little bit with your suggestion. I can ping the device by IP and by name (DS1511_BCN).However I cannot access it by scripts, browser and I neither see it in the Network group. I have seen that I do not have a Homegroup neither I can create one.Troubleshooter does not detect any problem I can fix....