No connection over 4 different browsers

Sophy

This problem is beyond strange.

I use LastPass password manager. Works great and no trouble with it. I have over 200 logins in it. I have clicked on a great number of them over the past two days and no problems.

I just purchased a medical device from RESPeRATE. I registered with the forum so I could interact with others who are using it. I can login just fine, I can click on the specific forum I want to be in and that opens, but when I try to click on a post that's been made, or to "Start a new topic" I am stopped cold. I have tried 4 browsers and tho the messages are different in each, the bottom line is it won't let me in. Please see the screenshots and note the error code given on the Chrome browser.

I have tried to make the connection on a Gateway laptop I have which has Win XP on it. I tried Firefox and IE. Same result.

What these two computers have in common is Avast Internet Security 7, and the wireless modem I connect through.

I tried restarting in Safe Mode with networking. Same thing happened. I tried a clean boot and again, same result. I also took the chance of just shutting down all of the shields on Avast for 10 minutes while in normal mode and same result.

I called my ISP, who is just certain it has nothing to do with them or their modem, naturally. I asked him if resetting the unit might help and he said it could and told me all I had to do was pull the plug from the back of the modem, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in. That didn't help either, but I thought when you did this you were supposed to completely disconnect both your computer and the modem from electricity, wait for several minutes and then plug first the computer and then the modem back in.

Does anyone have any possible solution or has anyone out there ever heard of this before? Does that error message on the bottom of the Chrome page give any clues? I'm at my witt's end. My computer is running good and there is not another site with which I have had any problem. I just can't read a post or make one at this forum.resperate.com. I have had several people in Avast tell me they went and opened these posts with no problem, and also the ISP guy I talked to. I used that site called "Down For Everyone Or Just Me?" and it said it's just me.

Edited by Sophy

It seems to me the problem is not on your side, since you can connect and post here, but over at RESPeRATE's forums.

I suggest you just wait for 24h, and check if it's gone... it very well might, if it's a problem on their side, as I'm guessing.

I have made RESPeRATE aware of this; emailed the guy I was talking with before buying the machine.

I have already waited 24 hours because this started yesterday mid-morning, when I first registered for and went to the forum.

If it's resperate's fault, why were several people on the Avast forum able to go to the site and open the posts? And why was my ISP able to open the posts also? I called them thinking a possible problem with my wireless modem, but he said very unlikely (of course).

Let's confuse this issue further ... :wacko:

I typed that error code from the Chrome page into Google and just started going down the line and opening up each item and reading. I found something about checking to see if another person still had this problem when using Chrome incognito. So then I Googled how to use Chrome incognito. I did this and I was able to click open and read the posts. So that would seem to say that it's an add-on causing the problem, right? Only I have very few add-ons. The very last one I installed was XMarks.

I also have XMarks on Firefox. But I do not have it on IE and I can't reach this site on IE either. Also, I don't have XMarks on that other computer I tried. Once again, nothing makes any sense.

EXTRA!!! I think I may have stumbled on the cause. Another thing both of my computers have in common is LastPass.

I can use any of my browsers in the private browsing mode wherein add-ons are disabled and can then open the posts in the forum and read them. However, I tried copying my password for this site from LastPass BEFORE putting the browser into private browsing, and then pasting it in the signin box in this forum so that I can start a new thread, and I still CAN NOT start a new post. Then I will get the dreaded page telling me: "Unable to load webpage because the server sent no data."

I went to the LastPass forum last night when I stumbled upon this and see that I have received an email from the forum so I will go check that out.

Edited by Sophy