SSD or HDD?

HI :)

I can't decide if i should buy for my new PC an SSD or HDD i'm not sure if it's worth the 110€ for a 128GB SSD if i have 8GM RAM.

Do i have any performance gain if i do Browsering, Office work and Photoshop work ...? I also boot my PC only once a month for updates so the booting time isn't important.

Edited by Outbreaker

There are different kinds of HDDs and SSDs. The comparison will differ depending on several aspects...

If you're talking about a "standard" 7200 rpm SATA HDD for consumer market then of course SSD will be MUCH faster, especially when working in many applications at the same time. Loading times (when launching programs, etc.) will be also much lower.

If i buy a HDD then for sure a 7200rpm (Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB), I have also no problem to wait 3 seconds more if a program opens the main point for me is if an SSD is noticeably faster if i work in Photoshop and in Microsoft Office simultaneously.

I fear that i put the 110€ in the sand when I buy a SSD because i can only use it for Windows and Progarms.

Edited by Outbreaker

In this case I'd definitely go to the SSD. The speed difference between a decent SSD and this Hitachi drive will be extreme.

If you were talking about a faster HDD, even something like a 10000rpm WD Velociraptor then the choice would be more difficult (because Velociraptor offers many more GBs for the price of the SSD while being also much faster than any "normal" HDD) but in case of a 7200 rpm SATA drive it's really no comparison.

Also if you go for a new PC be sure to buy a sata 3 hard drive or SSD depending on the needed capacity but lastest SSD are getting cheaper.

As you might already know SSD works better with windows 7 because of TRIM support so if you're wanting to keep and old OS, you'll need something to do the triming if you want to keep a high performance SSD (for SSD maker provide tools to do this).

I have also no problem to wait 3 seconds more if a program opens the main point for me is if an SSD is noticeably faster if i work in Photoshop and in Microsoft Office simultaneously.

Noticeably, maybe, but not sure it'll make up for lost capacity and the fact you might have to store your photoshop work on an other drive, the benefit might be lost. You could check the "hybrid" drives of Seagate.

It's not an easy choice since i have right now around 700GB of files Steam itself already uses 60GB space so i would need at least a 250GB SSD and i would also need a 2 x 2TB HDD one for storage and one for Backup. The 250GB SSD (Samsung 830) cost as much as the 2 x 2TB HDD together.

Edited by Outbreaker

Maybe a compromise?

Western Digital VelociRaptor 1 TB,Internal,10000 RPM,3.5" (WD1000DHTZ)

Almost 4x cheaper than the SSD and way faster than any 7200 rpm SATA HDD. It offers also very high sequential transfers which you probably need for large files:

060.PNG

and access time around ~7ms:

aidaread.png

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=627

I want to stay around 100€ for an SSD or HDD don't want to rob a bank. :ph34r:

Question if i use a 128GB SSD and put only Windows on it and everything else on a 2TB HDD would i see a big speed difference than like putting everything on one HDD?

Edited by Outbreaker

It's you who was talking about a 250 GB SSD :lol: That's why I mentioned the Velociraptor.

If you put only Windows on SSD then you won't gain that much. If you put Windows and programs then yes, there will be a noticeable difference. Still everything will be slowed down by the slow HDD.

Thanks for the input i think i will but 2 x 2TB HDD i always can update to an SSD if needed or if they get a lot cheaper.

I think i will be better of getting a better graphic card (GTX 560TI -> GTX 660TI) instead of an SSD.

Edited by Outbreaker