Windows 98 boots endlessly..

Win98

Well, The other day I picked up a Asus ABAE-LE (From a scrap yard, Actually.. Along with a 23 inch acer flat screen that had a broken power button but otherwise works fine) Long story short, When i try to boot 98SE on it, it gets to the clouds screen and the bar at the bottom endlessly scrolls. I left it overnight to see if it would overcome it, and it wont. Does the same thing with ME, But Boots XP, 7 (Both on a SATA HDD), and even 3.1, which I find odd. It has a AMD Athlon64 in it, which I thought might be the culprit, but I dropped a semphron (Which I also got out of a motherboard I got at that scrap yard...) and it does the same thing.. Is there any way for me to get around this, is this board even capable of booting 98, or am I going to have to reinstall? If that's the case i'm going to wait until my new-to-me 185gb hdd gets here from Ebay, and install it on that because i don't want to lose all of my drivers for my other motherboard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Motherboard specs:

Asus AB-LE, which I believe came out of a Compaq Presario SR1650NX Edit: On the board it looks like AB-LE, but according to the internet is A8-LE, so I assume thats correct.

512mb of ram at the moment, but I have it where it can handle 1gb

35gb Pata (IDE) HDD

Amd Athlon64 or Semphron

Does anyone know where i could find graphics drivers for it? It appears to have a ATI radeon x200.

Edited by Win98

Try this package. I can't say for sure that it supports that particular chip, but I believe it does.

I once tried to install Windows 98SE on a Compaq computer that had this particular motherboard for a friend of mine. It was a nightmare. At the time, I was never able to get everything working correctly, but it's been so long ago I don't remember what the problem was. :wacko:

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Hopefully, this motherboard is old enough that it wont have too many issues installing..

The thing is, Now... The motherboard is retarded, and whenever you disconnect power to it, the next time you plug it in you have to do something (I honestly have no idea what, but ive done it twice now) to get it to come on, before the power button or anything will respond... I'm in the process of trying to get it to come back on.

Note the CAUTION warning below!

Complete directions and board specifications are here: Motherboard Specifications, A8AE-LE (AmberineM)

Battery is CR2032 3v, available in the watch department of most drugstores. CR2024 or CR2016 won't last as long, but should work if you use a washer or penny to increase the thickness (as I once did). As a temporary measure, the old battery can be carefully trickle-charged up to ~2v using two weak AAA batteries (as I ... :whistle: ).

1. Turn OFF the PC and unplug the power cord. This motherboard has a jumper to clear the BIOS settings in CMOS RAM.
  2. To clear BIOS settings, temporarily set the jumper labeled "CLEAR CMOS" to pins 1-2.
  3. Wait at least 6 seconds and then return the cap to pins 2-3. When you start the PC you will need to enter BIOS setup to reset any custom BIOS settings.

icon13.gif CAUTION: Except when clearing the RTC RAM, never remove the jumper from the default position. Removing the jumper causes PC startup failure!

No no no..... I mean to charge the dead 3v with.

Havent got to the motherboard to try this yet, as I have been messing with the computer I got off of the curb today.

Specs:

Socket 370 Celeron (Which is faster, Celeron, or P3? I have quite a few on hand)

512mb pc133 ram

Didnt have a hard drive, but now has the Windows 98 HDD out of my first computer. Its a whole 6gb.

Thing works great. Im trying to install my PCI wireless card on it, and im picking through dll and system files, because they apparently arent on the disk.. Right now im trying to find ndishlp.sys, and I have failed.. If anyone has this file and wants to give me it, i would love it.

Thanks!

Edited by Win98

I looked for that the other day, but I can even find the file on the computer. (Yes i selected logged in the boot menu)

Im going to be away from the computer until sunday, so I will have to try these things sunday night.

Thanks!

ndishlp.sys - in NET9.CAB

PRECOPY2.CAB has three LAYOUTx.INF files. Most/all files are listed in a/l one of them. The number at the beginning of the name is the CAB number, found at the top of the list. This file is listed in LAYOUT1.INF.

HTH

Socket 370 Celeron (Which is faster, Celeron, or P3? I have quite a few on hand)

512mb pc133 ram

Celeron is the budget version of the P2/P3/P4.

Socket 370 could be PPGA/FC-PGA/FC-PGA2

pc133 leads me to guess your Celeron is a P2 in a PPGA socket. If the speed is 533Mhz or less, that's it.

PPGA runs at 2v. The slowest Socket 370 P3's (Coppermines) are FC-PGA (<=1.75v), so not compatible.

Processors:

Intel Celeron Mendocino (PPGA, 300–533 MHz, 2.0 V)

Intel Celeron Coppermine (FC-PGA, 533–1100 MHz, 1.5–1.75 V)

Intel Celeron Tualatin (FC-PGA2, 900–1400 MHz, 1.475–1.5 V)

Intel Pentium III Coppermine (FC-PGA, 500–1133 MHz, 1.6–1.75 V)

Intel Pentium III Tualatin (FC-PGA2, 1000–1400 MHz, 1.45–1.5 V)

VIA Cyrix III/C3 (500–1200 MHz, 1.35–2.0 V)

Edit: Modifying a PPGA socket 370 motherboard for FCPGA processors

Edited by jumper

Ummm... no... check CPU-World instead. ;) PC133 could be the "later" version. I've had several of those (both "versions"). They may look the same and the CPU's will even fit but the wiring is different.

"Better" Socket370 Celerons -

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/Intel-Celeron%20900%20-%20RB80526RY900128%20(BX80526F900128).html

Wiki is not such a hot place to get specs...

Edited by submix8c