Win2k on AMD 990FX

Phenomic

For screen shots you can use http://imgur.com/ :whistle:

And with either UURollup (ENU) or the BlackWingCat's kernel extension installed you can use any version of Flash Player.

Thank you, I just run Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU, it took forever.

But now I have another problem. I had installed an NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti and used BlackWingCat's driver nvw2k26658d. I can't remember how I installed it but 550 Ti was not on the list so I selected GTX 570 and it worked. Now I put in another card also GTX 550 Ti but I can't install the driver. Any ideas? :unsure:

I didn't say anything about Update Rollup 2 :w00t:

Update Rollup 2 (UR2) is a rollup of (almost) all official system updates and hotfixes released for Windows 2000.

Unofficial Updates Rollup (UURollup) is a rollup of (almost) all UNofficial system updates and hotfixes released for Windows 2000.

Update Rollup 2 won't help you here (although of course there's nothing wrong with installing it). UURollup will help because after installing it you will be able to use the newest Flash Player.

What error do you get when trying to install the graphics driver?

ok some screenshots...

cpuz-mobo.png

990fx, AM3+ socket, runs Bulldozer FX CPUs, also the upcoming Vishera maybe even Steamroller.

cpuz-gpu.png

GTX 550 Ti looks like GTX 570

aida-summary-1.png

System summary, page 1

aida-summary-2.png

System summary, page 2

cinebench-cpu.png

Cinebench, the same system in Windows 7 gets 4.00 but under Win2k it gets 3.71, win2k CPU driver not as efficient...

cinebench-gpu.png

But graphics kicks butt, "D13P1-40/PCI..." is the NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti

//

I didn't say anything about Update Rollup 2 :w00t:

Update Rollup 2 (UR2) is a rollup of (almost) all official system updates and hotfixes released for Windows 2000.

Unofficial Updates Rollup (UURollup) is a rollup of (almost) all UNofficial system updates and hotfixes released for Windows 2000.

Update Rollup 2 won't help you here (although of course there's nothing wrong with installing it). UURollup will help because after installing it you will be able to use the newest Flash Player.

What error do you get when trying to install the graphics driver?

BlackWingCat's driver doesn't have an NVIDIA installer, so you have to install it through Device Manager. But when I point to the driver directory/INF Win2k doesn't find a hardware match, no driver. I can't remember how I did it the fist time... there was no GTX 550 Ti on the list, the closest was GTX 570, so I picked that and it works..

You may try to install the newest official nVIDIA drivers:

http://pl.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.42/301.42-desktop-winxp-32bit-international-whql.exe

Of course UURollup must be installed before doing so and the installation has to be done through Device Manager because the installer itself won't run in Win2k.

Cinebench, the same system in Windows 7 gets 4.00 but under Win2k it gets 3.71, win2k CPU driver not as efficient...

Something seems to be wrong. On my hardware configuration Win2k performs in Cinebench (very slightly but still) better than Windows 8. Even if there's a difference it shouldn't be that big.

You may also want to test the system using CrystalMark.

Edited by tomasz86

http://pl.download.n...tional-whql.exe

Of course UURollup must be installed before doing so and the installation has to be done through Device Manager because the installer itself won't run in Win2k.

Something seems to be wrong. On my hardware configuration Win2k performs in Cinebench (very slightly but still) better than Windows 8. Even if there's a difference it shouldn't be that big.

You may also want to test the system using CrystalMark.

Thank you, do you have a link to UURollup?

You'll notice that Cinebench shows 4C/4T for Win7 but only 4C in Win2k. So, Cinebench at least thinks that Win2k isn't capable of multi-threading.

http://pl.download.n...tional-whql.exe

Thanks, it didn't work. The NVIDIA drivers in you link aren't loading, and I had to remove UUrollup because I got NTFS incompatibility bug and 1 BSOD. I was getting this:

devman-not-found.PNG

So I actually loaded the RIVA driver which didn't work of course, but somehow it activated the driver database so I was able to select GTX 580 :yes:

Anyway, everything works now:

devman-GTX%20580.png

Unrecognized PCI devices are ASMedia AHCI on PCI bus (no drivers fro win2k?). USB devices are USB3 (no driver). The 5 Unknown Devices are NVIDIA hight definition audio (BlackWingCat's driver nvw2k26658d doesn't include it?).

//

Thanks, it didn't work. The NVIDIA drivers in you link aren't loading, and I had to remove UUrollup because I got NTFS incompatibility bug and 1 BSOD.

What kind of errors did you get with UURollup? :unsure:

Have you installed any other unofficial updates (perhaps any BlackWingCat's updates)?

Thanks, it didn't work. The NVIDIA drivers in you link aren't loading, and I had to remove UUrollup because I got NTFS incompatibility bug and 1 BSOD.

What kind of errors did you get with UURollup? :unsure:

Have you installed any other unofficial updates (perhaps any BlackWingCat's updates)?

I was copying a dir tree to a Win7 partition and error msg said that it "does NOT support long filenames". BSOD I don't remember, but if it's somewhere in the event viewer I can get it for you.

I had no other updates, it was vanilla w2k + Gurglemeyer's service pack + BWC ahci and video driver.

Hmm, strange. This is the first time I've heard about this kind of error. Maybe other official updates (or Update Rollup 2) should be made required for UURollup (ENU). There's a big gap between USP5.1 (2006) and UURollup (2010-).

Edited by tomasz86

Hmm, strange. This is the first time I've heard about this kind of error. Maybe other official updates (or Update Rollup 2) should be made required for UURollup (ENU). There's a big gap between USP5.1 (2006) and UURollup (2010-).

What's wrong with running Windows 2000 as a virtual machine? I run it under Linux, it doesn't need any drivers and uses the host's resources including USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GB and everything works :)

• 3 weeks later...

I added 2 lines to BlackWingCat's NV4_DISP.INF in the right section:

NVIDIA_DEV.1244.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti"

%NVIDIA_DEV.1244.01% = Section005, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1244

So now win2k does not reject the driver. You can also select GTS 450 (near identical GPU to my GTX 550 Ti.)

Win2k rocks ! :thumbup