XP CD with integrated SATA drivers FAILS to install

surfing69

OK!!!! Did you ALSO Integrate the MoBo Chipset Drivers and ANY OTHER Drivers necessary? (maybe I missed that...)

Why are you shouting?

If you had read my previous posts you would have established that I integrated the following drivers with XP (SP3)

1. D:\drivers\serial ATA for floppy disk\ Intel\ 1.0.1.0.1008_PV\i386 for blue sata ports (Asrock support CD)

2. D:\drivers\serial ATA for floppy Disk\ ASmedia\ 1.1.7.110G\x86 for white sata ports (Asrock support CD)

3. D:\Floppy32 (Startech PCIe support CD)

These were the only drivers that Asrock and Startech had advised that I needed for the nLite integration.

If you use the USB you need NOT any support for the PCIe card, once the system WITHOUT the PCIe card is installed and working, then you add to it the card and relative drivers.

I cant do this without having access to an ODD.

Please re-read:

If you use USB install (of course if it works) you need NOT ANY ODD (nor IDE/PATA nor SATA) as everything you need to install is on the USB stick.

BUT if your system is already working in IDE mode, as well, the instructions you got from Asrock are not really-really limited to an ODD, you can access the drivers from the USB stick (in IDE mode) and copy them to a folder on the same SATA hard disk, then after having switched ports, follow the instructions but getting the files from the SATA hard disk folder INSTEAD of the SATA ODD (step B.8)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The tutorial #30 on RMPREPUSB site is about using a F6 floppy with the drivers (text mode).

If you don't have them, (if I get it right) it won't be of use. :unsure:

I am confused by this? According to tutorial #30 and unless I am mistaken the title states:

30 - How to install XP onto a Hard Disk from an XP ISO on a bootable USB drive

There is no reference to using a F6 floppy with the drivers.

As for your test, I did the following but when I tried to boot from the USB drive (F11 boot sequence), nothing happened and the system booted from the HDD.

Choose:

Partition Size: Max

Bootloader options: XP/BartPE bootable (NTLDR)

Filesystem and Overrides: NTFS (or FAT32) and Boot as HDD (C: 2 Ptns)

And "prepare" drive.

Now, open the drive in Explorer, and copy to it:

1. NTLDR (copy from *any* XP you have available)
  2. grldr (get it among the already downloaded files or directly from http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list )
  3. a file BOOT.INI (created with Notepad or other text editor) with these contents (you can copy and paste):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\grldr="Grub4Dos"

Try booting from the stick on the machine.

You should be able to get to the boot .ini choices.

Choose the "Grub4Dos" entry.

You should arrive to a grub> prompt.

In it, type:

root (

and press the [TAB] key.

You should see a list similar to:

hd0, hd1, rd, cd

Type:

root

[ENTER]

you should get (hd0).

Type:

ls

[ENTER]

you should see listed of the files on the stick: ntldr, boot.ini, grldr.

If everything is like described, reboot normally, delete the files from the USB stick, and run again WinSetupFromUSB (the stick is already OK and you need not to re-format it or use again RMPREPUSB).

Post if anything is different.
= as above - nothing happened.

I did a screen shot of the contents of the USB drive to show you, but for some reason, the forum will not allow me to do so (the file is a 132kb jpg) . The attachement bit also states

Used 1.02mb of your 1000k global upload quota(Max. single file size: 64MB)

My head is spinning :wacko:

The tutorial #30 on RMPREPUSB site is about using a F6 floppy with the drivers (text mode).

If you don't have them, (if I get it right) it won't be of use. :unsure:

I am confused by this? According to tutorial #30 and unless I am mistaken the title states:

30 - How to install XP onto a Hard Disk from an XP ISO on a bootable USB drive

There is no reference to using a F6 floppy with the drivers.

No, but there is a way to use floppy images INSTEAD of a "physical" floppy for "F6" install of the drivers, which is actually the point.

(hint: search on the page for string "F6" ;))

As for your test, I did the following but when I tried to boot from the USB drive (F11 boot sequence), nothing happened and the system booted from the HDD.

The F11 menu sometimes does not work, try changing boot order in the BIOS, also try "cold boot" physically removing the power plug and reinserting it.

How big is the USB stick?

Some motherboards won't like a "big" sized USB stick.

Of course it is possible that something went wrong when using RMPREPUSB, do the following:

Get hdhacker:

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

use it to make a copy of both the MBR and the PBR of the active partition on the USB stick (respectively \\.\Physicaldrive and \\.\LogicalDrive) compress the two files together and attach the resulting archive, so that I can have a look at them.

I did a screen shot of the contents of the USB drive to show you, but for some reason, the forum will not allow me to do so (the file is a 132kb jpg) . The attachement bit also states

Used 1.02mb of your 1000k global upload quota(Max. single file size: 64MB)

My head is spinning :wacko:

There is a limit to attachments, just delete the screenshots you previously attached and you will have the capacity restored.

A good idea would be for future screenshots to upload them to a free fiel hosting service and post a link instead of attaching them.

BUT, I am lost, please answer these:

1. Can you now boot (in IDE mode) that XP install?
  2. Can you access a USB stick from it (I mean from the booted XP in IDE mode)?

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

As I was getting nowhere with the boot from USB method I decided to go back to trying to install from nLite OS CD

To recap, with the Startech PCIe IDE/Sata controller attached, I connected my SATA3 HDD to a SATA2 blue port, set the SATA mode to IDE in BIOS and then tried to install XP using the CD created with nLite (the CD contained XP (SP3) + mobo ACHI/Intel drivers) XP DID install BUT I could not install ANY drivers from the Asrock support CD. As I stated previously, the PC completely froze and when I pressed the restart button, instead of booting into windows, I saw an MS-DOS error screen with the message

"cannot find the file 'system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys " - pls see screen shot attached.

According to Asrock :

When OS is installed in IDE mode (as the HDD is set as IDE Mode), the OS installation process might not really load the driver for AHCI.

Please change the onboard SATA Mode to AHCI before installation. (SATA HDD connect to the port and set to AHCI Mode)

If the HDD is connect to blur port during installation, you can try below steps:

a. Connect the HDD to white port.

b. Set [ASMedia SATA3 Mode] to [iDE], [sATA Mode Selection] set to [AHCI] in BIOS.

c. Boot into OS and confirm the Intel AHCI driver is installed in device manager.

There will be a Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller device in IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

d. Shut down and connec the HDD back to blue port.

About installing driver failed:

According to your description and the error message, the system was installing PCI/PCIe drivers.

And the driver souce is the ODD on the PCI/PCie slot.

When installing driver, system will uninstall old one then install new one.

There will be an interupt of the source and this should be the root cause.

Please copy the INF driver from support CD to HDD. (Or download the driver from our website)

The INF driver is in below folder: "[ODD letter]:\Drivers\INF\Intel"

I FOUND THAT NONE OF THE ADVICE FROM ASROCK WORKED- WHICH WAS A INDEED A SURPRISE

In the end I decided to try the only permutation that was left i.e. :

1. the SATA3 HDD was attached to the SATA3 white port with the black cable

2. all SATA ports were set to ACHI in BIOS

3. booted from the nLite XP + drivers CD and installed the OS + drivers

4. rebooted

5. ran Startech CD - installed driver- rebooted

6. ran Asrock CD and installed ALL drivers without any issues.

Hey PRESTO EVERYTHING IS UP AND RUNNING !!! :w00t::lol:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUTS WHICH WERE ALL APPRECIATED. :thumbup

Edited by surfing69