Fix the insecure Windows 8 Flash version

MagicAndre1981

Andre,

Although I let flash player update automatically, it doesn't install the newest version for IE. I happened to find out a solution to fix this. However, I had to do it manually.

I downloaded the newest version of flash player and installed them, both for IE and non IE. Firefox used this flash immediately while IE didn't. I went to this folder:

Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Deleted 3 following files (they have older dates than the others):

Flash32_11_3_370_178.ocx

FlashUtil32_11_3_370_178_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil32_11_3_370_178_ActiveX.exe

Then changed the names of these 3 files:

Flash32_11_5_500_85.ocx

FlashUtil32_11_5_500_85_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil32_11_5_500_85_ActiveX.exe

into the same names as those I just deleted:

Flash32_11_3_370_178.ocx

FlashUtil32_11_3_370_178_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil32_11_3_370_178_ActiveX.exe

Now, IE uses the newest flash player and shows the exact version on the Adobe page too.

What I really don't understand is that, why it has to be renamed as 11_3_370_178 to work properly on my computer!

Edit: delete picture

Edited by Aloha

What version is it, Andre? Last time I installed a beta. It is 11.15. I can't find anything different after I've installed a new version.

It seems that W8 RP itself doesn't update flash player any more. I'll have to download and install it manually from now on.

Very interesting and helpful topic!

I have too installed IE10 and Maxthon. I do like Maxthon by the way too...It is a very good browser.

To sum up:

I use Maxthon as default browser with the bundled flash player of IE10 installed on the System. I performed the updates through Microsoft Update too. The flash content seems to run fine. Is it because Maxthon is in IE mode or does Maxthon manage to play the flash content using the pre-installed (and updated) flash player (I must say though that Java detected Maxthon as "Chrome", while in Java homepage)? If I uninstall the pre-installed Flash Player and install the one from Adobe's site will it work with both browsers? Will there be a conflict if I install manually the newest Flash Player without uninstalling the pre-installed (IE10) first?

A couple of days ago (I think after aupdating the Flash Player through Microsoft updates) a strange thing happened. There was no sound in Windows although the Drivers and Devices were OK. No Windows sounds, couldn't play any music files with media player, youtube videos played without sound. I don't know if that was a Flash Player related issue, but after a system restore everything is fine now. At this point I must say that in the first place, when I first Installed Windows 8 RTM I didn't know that IE comes bundled with explorer so I downloaden and installed the latest flash player version too. After performing the system restore I didn't install any flash player, just use the bundled one, and update through windows updates.

Today, Windows Update installed flash player 11.3.375.10 on my computer! It's always installing the old version while Firefox uses a newer one.

---------------------

Tsampikos,

Flash Player is stored in this folder, for both IE and non IE browsers:

Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

You can copy the whole folder to a safe place and then try installing the newer version of flash player as you wish. I get the setup from here if I want to install it manually:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

I have to do some changes as I said in Post #18 on this thread so that the new flash can work fine for me. Andre used to post a link to check the flash version but he deleted for some unknown reason! I'll post it here again:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

You can go there to see whether your IE is using the newest flash player or not.