Fix the insecure Windows 8 Flash version

MagicAndre1981

459px-Windows_8_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png

Microsoft has now released an security update for flash to fix the issue:

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 (KB2755399)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34745

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 for x64-based systems (KB2755399)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34743

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2755399/en-us

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Can't help laughing when reading the red text. I am not an advanced user so I do things in a simple way. What I do is follow step 5 and 6 and it works. When I go to Control Panel/Uninstall Programs to check, I see that Adobe flash player 11.4 has already been installed.

Don't know why we have to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. Is there any difference or disadvantage if I drop the first steps?

Thanks for posting this, Andre.

Andre,

I thought it worked but it didn't!

I was using Maxthon last night and thought it worked just like IE, so I said the way I took short steps worked. I mainly use Maxthon and Firefox as internet browsers. Both have flash player 11.4 and I can see that flash on Adobe checking version page. Today I open IE, go to the checking page and I can't see the version of flash player!

How strange! Version 11.4 was installed but IE doesn't use it at all. I've tried to uninstall and then reinstall it several times but it's useless! I am afraid you have to edit your post again, Andre! I'm very sorry.

Edit: delete attachment

Edited by Aloha

Thanks BP.

It seems that Maxthon is not a well-known browser. When I use it going to that checking page, it detects my browser as Google Chrome!

It's because Maxthon uses two engines - Webkit (the one used also in Chrome) and Trident (the one used in IE). You can switch between them in the browser.

Wow, I first know this after using Maxthon 3 for a long time! I see a button on the address box and try switching the mode. It works weird! Some ads appear and some images on this page are blocked!

Thanks for explaining it, Tomas.

Wow, I first know this after using Maxthon 3 for a long time! I see a button on the address box and try switching the mode. It works weird! Some ads appear and some images on this page are blocked!

Thanks for explaining it, Tomas.

Maxthon (the Webkit version) is actually a pretty good browser, especially when it comes to supporting the newest HTML5 functions (source) and the general speed. The problem is that it's not very popular so the support from users (extensions) is very weak.

You can try switching to the IE mode and checking the Flash version from there.

Tomasz,

I changed the browser mode and I couldn't see the flash on that page. It's OK, however, because I rarely use IE.

It's funny that I used to think the button to change the browser mode was to switch between a fast and a slow browser!

Edited by Aloha

• 2 weeks later...

I will always uninstall the bundled Flash package on Windows 8 because compatibility with a number of Flash-using apps I use (one example is Live Messenger Winks) is broken on Windows 8. If I uninstall it and install the regular flash in Windows 7 compatibility mode, everything works properly.

Don't know what fixed the problem and when it was fixed. I've just used IE and Maxthon (IE) to go to that Adobe page and I can see the running ball with both. However, it says the flash version is 11.3.370.203! Firefox and Maxthon (Chrome), on the other hand, still say I have version 11.4.402.278. How strange!