How to expand .in_ file?

johnhc

When I processed a new driver, 12.8, I was surprised that my output files when extracted by expand command still had the .xx_ name. Thus my post. I still suspect that XP expand does not need the -r switch and thus my error. Now it seems the latest Catalyst drivers no longer use the strange compression and they inject without my running the script against them - still trying to figure out how to test them. Thanks to all. I learned a lot and this is always good. Enjoy, John.

It is possible that this applies :unsure: :

http://www.computerhope.com/expandhl.htm

Automatically rename expanded files. Only valid for files compressed with -r switch.

Would it be possible that those files are actually compressed with COMPRESS.EXE but without the -r switch?

Since I presume that the whole lot of Catalyst files is huge, could you post just a single (smallish) .in_ file (inside a .zip archive) so that I can have a look at the binary?

jaclaz

Since I presume that the whole lot of Catalyst files is huge, could you post just a single (smallish) .in_ file (inside a .zip archive) so that I can have a look at the binary?
I have none of the older Catalyst files and the 12.8 has no .in_ files in it. Attached is a driver (7-Zipped). Using expand with the -r switch extracts and restores the original file name. I infer that the file was compressed with the -r switch. Enjoy, John.

atikmpag.7z

I have none of the older Catalyst files and the 12.8 has no .in_ files in it. Attached is a driver (7-Zipped). Using expand with the -r switch extracts and restores the original file name. I infer that the file was compressed with the -r switch. Enjoy, John.

Well, this doesn't "count". :w00t:

I am still after the specific .in_ file about which you startefd the thread (or any similarly behaving file).

I mean, if the file attached is renamed correctly with the -r switch of EXPAND.EXE, yes, it means that it was compressed with the -r option with COMPRESS.EXE or other equivalent tool.

I have plenty of files that are actually renamed properly with the -r switch of EXPAND, I was looking for one that DID NOT behave like that.

Possibly tomasz86 will be so kind as to provide one. :)

jaclaz

Sorry, jaclaz, did not know what you were looking for. I DLed a couple of old Catalyst drivers and cannot find a .xx_ file that does not yield the correct name when 'expand -r' is used. What I do not know is if the older drivers will inject. If it is really important to you, I'll see if I can find the AMD forum thread to determine the exact driver version I had a problem with. I cannot say with absolute conviction that it was the name problem that kept the driver from injecting. I can only say when I used 7-Zip (v9.20) to extract the files, I could inject them. Enjoy, John.

Possibly tomasz86 will be so kind as to provide one. :)

Oops... I confused AMD and nVIDIA drivers :blushing:

It's nVIDIA drivers that behave like that. Download 301.42-desktop-winxp-32bit-international-whql.exe, run the installer and unpack it, go to Display.Driver and try to unpack the *.*_ files using "expand -r". The filenames won't be correct after doing so. On the other hand, 7-Zip can extract them correctly.

1. Original files:

nv4_disp.dl_
nv4_mini.sy_
nvapi.dl_
nvcompiler.dl_
nvcuda.dl_
nvcuvenc.dl_
nvcuvid.dl_
nvdrsdb.bi_
nvoglnt.dl_
nvuninst.ba_
OpenCL.dl_

2. After unpacking with 7-Zip:

nv4_disp.dll
nv4_mini.sys
nvapi.dll
nvcompiler.dll
nvcuda.dll
nvcuvenc.dll
nvcuvid.dll
nvdrsdb
nvoglnt.dll
nvuninst
OpenCL.dll

1. After using "expand -r *.*_"

nv4_disp.dl
nv4_mini.sy
nvapi.dl
nvcompiler.dl
nvcuda.dl
nvcuvenc.dl
nvcuvid.dl
nvdrsdb.bi
nvoglnt.dl
nvuninst.ba
opencl.dl

jaclaz, attached are all three versions of two files from tomasz86's nVidia driver. The xx_ is the original, the xx file is the "Expand -r" and the last is the 7-zip extracted. One 7-zip extracted with no extension (nvuninst). Enjoy, John.

EDIT: tomasz86, have you tried to inject this nVidia driver into an image - results?

What.7z

Edited by johnhc

Good. :)

Strangely enough ;) the posted semi-random links had some merits. :whistle:

The "normal" files compressed with compress have the MSCF header (MicroSoft Cabinet File?).

The ones in What.7z have the SZDD one. <- this is the "older" format.

See also:

The EXPAND in XP seemingly cannot get the actual "full name" on the proposed files.

But 7-zip can see the "full name/extension" of one (OpenCL.dl_ ->OpenCL.dll) but not of the other (nvuninst.ba_->nvuninst).

The expanded nvuninst is clearly a .bat or .cmd file.

Most probably the nVIDIA installer keeps "somewhere" a list of "original names".

I can reproduce the compressed archives using the version 2.00 (1992) of COMPRESS.EXE, using the -r switch with OpenCL.dll, and NOT using the -r switch with nvuninst.bat).

If i compare the results of:

COMPRESS.EXE nvuninst.bat nvuninst.ba_ <- this is identical to the original file

with

COMPRESS.EXE -r nvuninst.bat

the only difference between them is byte @0x09 which in the first is 00, whilst in the second is 74 (please read as "t"), which is allright:

http://www.cabextract.org.uk/

http://www.cabextract.org.uk/libmspack/doc/szdd_kwaj_format.html

It is very possible that later versions of COMPRESS.EXE do exist that allow to have the same results, but it would be strange since the new, "approved" header is MSCF since at least Win 95 times, even diamond.exe uses this format, so it's queer that the good nVidia guys used such an old compressor :unsure: .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

jaclaz, I agree this is really strange. I do not understand why a vendor would release SW that uses some 'different' compression technique that the average user (even enthusiast) cannot extract. It looks like AMD has quit but not nVidia. They may have a name list or their own internal extractor SW. The latter is my suspicion. Thanks for all the work, adding to my knowledge base. Enjoy, John.