core2duo temps in 2000?

Molecule

I'm building a 2000 system on a ICH10/P43 mobo with a core2duo e7200 processor

I am a bit of a noob about hardware (and total noob as to 2k -- 98se is my cup of tea) so I thought I'd ask, since my processor fan seems to be running mighty hard and noisy

I saw from this thread Processor management in 2000 that temps range from "70-90 degree" range ... that has to be Farenheit, but I'm not sure and the thread doesn't say -- 90º C would be 194º F which would smoke the plastic on the board

I saw from this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/145958-can-a-core-i5-760-quad-core-run-on-windows-2000/ that there's a free little program that measures all this stuff

pointertovoid also mentions that he uses 2000 with a core2duo driver by blackwingcat, and it dropped his temps. BWC's site is in japanese so (arghh ... does anyone have a link?)

I ran tests before and after applying the patch KB919521 ... results are

core 0 = 44ºC (111ºF)

core 1 = 51ºC (123ºF)

cpu fan = 100%

processor usage = near zero

then applied the patch

core 0 = 39ºC (102ºF)

core 1 = 43ºC (109ºF)

cpu fan = 100%

processor usage = near zero

then I ran a large 7zip using 2 threads, to load up both cores, and

core 0 = 39ºC (102ºF)

core 1 = 45ºC (112ºF)

cpu fan = 100%

processor usage = near 100%

are my temperatures in the normal range? I'd love to see my fan slow down a little ...

hopefully the pics will load (I have to turn script off because it or google freezes my system, as in reset switch)

if the pics don't load the task manager shows that both cores of the core2duo were equally loaded during the 7zip compression.

however, core 1 seems about 10º hotter than core 0 ... any thoughts? could it be the thermal paste is starting to dry out? or maybe that's normal as well

post-79406-20745_thumb.png

post-79406-28465_thumb.png

Edited by Molecule

That looks pretty normal to me. But replacing the thermal paste will of course reduce the temp of both core (if it is older than 6 month).

Also if you really want to manually control the speed of the fans you should install a rheobus. But you could check your bios settings as sometimes there are settings there to modify the power regulation of fans.

Edited by allen2

But you could check your bios settings as sometimes there are settings there to modify the power regulation of fans.

I would suspect this is the issue. There are usually options for everywhere from 100% all the time, to temperature monitoring settings that allow you to set a minimum speed that is then ramped up when the temp rises over a threshold. There are also sometimes power settings in the OS that could be effecting things as well.

Cheers and Regards

The temperatures after applying KB919521 (btw, it's included in Update Rollup 2) seem pretty normal... If it's a box cooler than you may want to replace it with with a "decent" one. You can find even not very expensive coolers which are far better and (what's important) run much more quietly. I've done it in my computer. Before it sounded more like a vacuum cleaner and now it's almost completely silent :D

If I'm not mistaken, you can use RMClock to manually set the CPU frequency. For AMD CPUs it's K10stat to do the same thing. These tools are especially important when using Win2k because Intel SpeedStep and AMD Cool'n'Quiet don't work in it.

Edited by tomasz86

• 2 weeks later...

These tools are especially important when using Win2k because Intel SpeedStep and AMD Cool'n'Quiet don't work in it.

I 'm really surprised to hear that because Cool'n'Quiet works in Win98 SE.

How it's possible, that it doesn't work in Windows 2000?