USB Keyboards and Mice

rloew

I updated KS.SYS and copied DRMK.SYS from Windows XP SP3. The KS.SYS was fine but the DRMK.SYS has unimplemented dependencies on NTOSKRNL.EXE

I replaced USBAUDIO.SYS with the Windows 98SE Version and the USB Headset worked.

You might want to try older versions. This is how I normally test files. I always start from the highest version and work my way backwards. It saves a lot of time from having to replace the same file with an updated version.

DRMK.SYS 5.1.2600.1106 XP SP1

DRMK.SYS 5.1.2600.2180 XP SP2

You might want to try older versions. This is how I normally test files. I always start from the highest version and work my way backwards. It saves a lot of time from having to replace the same file with an updated version.

USBAUDIO.SYS 4.1.2222 suits me just fine. If it isn't broken, I don't fix it. Choosing the newest and shiniest is a prescription for unintended consequences as occured above.

Backing off on the USBAUDIO.SYS version would probably be a better solution than trying to get DRMK.SYS to work. There is no guarantee that you can use any version of DRMK.SYS.

I used the SP to test the Installation issue with USB Keyboards and Mice. I threw in the Headset and Lexar Driver to determine the impact of a Controller Driver replacement. The question of what needs to be removed when updating the Controller Drivers has been mentioned a number of times in relation to the SP, but no one seemed to be interested in actually testing it. I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

With all due respect, what's the advantage of adding the ME USB 1.1 stack?

I know they're designed to work with the ME USB 2.0 stack, but up to NUSB 3.3 we were using the 98SE USB 1.1 stack with the latest available hotfixes (some of which are compiled latter than the original ME files) and it worked all right (and was pretty well time proven). So, forgive me if this was discussed previously, but I confess I don't remember it ever having been discussed...

Later edit:

That's because I must be getting senile... These <link> <link> are the relevant posts, right?

But I do think LoneCrusader's idea is worth a shot...

Adding the ME USB 1.1 stack enables the use of USBCCGP.SYS. (Remember RetroOS's USB Composite Device experiment?)

However, if changing the USB 1.1 stack is going to cause widespread problems, then it is best to revert back to using the updated 98SE stack. Using the ME stack can be reserved to use in specific situations only, or can be added during a fresh install as I outlined above if desired.

Edited by LoneCrusader

The latest hotfix/update for Win98 USBAUDIO.SYS is USBAUDIO.SYS 4.10.0.2224. If you are happy, then I am super happy. Thanks.

So far I have used few if any of the Hotfixes. Mostly I use the WU and some official updates related to my projects. Outside of 98SE I use the ME SCANDISK and some ME USB Files plus the USB 2.0 stack from NUSB. The rest are custom mods. I have created a Preinstalled CD with my Mods and a WU only Service Pack (SP0) for new installations.

These would not have worked. DRMK.SYS 5.1.2600.0 from XP RTM already has the problem dependencies.

I found a DRMK.SYS File in Windows ME which does not have the dependencies but the USB Headset still does not work with the newer USBAUDIO.SYS.

Edited by rloew

Greetings to all

I am pleased to report a successful install of SP 3.7 on my system. (See very 1st post for details) Both USB keyboard & mouse remained attached during install, which was: Fresh install of Win98 SE, all necessary drivers ( for no Device Manager Issues), IE 5.5, Direct-x 9.0c. Installed SP 3.7 Main Updates only. Shut down & rebooted to Safe Mode to remove all USB stuff in Device Manager following info from usbman.com's order of removal.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

Delete USB peripheral devices (Scanners, Printers, Cameras etc.)

Delete HID and/or Composite USB (Human Interface Devices)

Delete USB Root Hub(s) (Universal Host Controllers)

Delete USB Host Controller(s) (Universal Host Controllers)

Upon reboot & installation of SP 3.7 files, after the Standard Open HCI Controllers finish screen appeared, both the KB & mouse were lost/frozen/locked up again. To proceed, I rebooted with a old PS/2 mouse attached also. This allowed all later finished screens to be clicked OK/finish. USB keyboard was then detected & installed along with USB mouse & USB contollers, etc. PS/2 was removed after all was complete & shut down. Hip-Hip-Hooray !!!

All works so far, so good, & no conflicts in device manager.

Many thanks to you, PROBLEMCHYLD & all others for your hard work and dedication to SP 3.x and all the other GOOD STUFF in the Win 98 projects area.

I'll keep you posted as more system usage & program installs occur. Will try not to open anymore Can 'O Worms !

Thanks again, ReK67

Upon reboot & installation of SP 3.7 files, after the Standard Open HCI Controllers finish screen appeared, both the KB & mouse were lost/frozen/locked up again. To proceed, I rebooted with a old PS/2 mouse attached also. This allowed all later finished screens to be clicked OK/finish. USB keyboard was then detected & installed along with USB mouse & USB contollers, etc. PS/2 was removed after all was complete & shut down. Hip-Hip-Hooray !!!

All works so far, so good, & no conflicts in device manager.

You are the second person who has had success using my suggestion. The same method works with an USB Keyboard instead.

I am still experimenting with ways to do the install with no PS/2 devices at all, as this would also be necessary if the Drivers are refreshed.

I have determined that the USB Controller and Root Hub Drivers have the same Registry Configuration before and after updating from the Windows 98SE RTM Drivers to those in U98SESP3 Version 3.7. This means that they do not have to be removed. This is also true of the USB Mouse Driver except for the need for WDMSTUB. This makes it possible to install U98SESP3 without requiring a PS/2 Keyboard or Mouse. There appears to be a flaw in WDMSTUB that occurs when the Hardware Installer tries to run a new Instance of it while it is already running.

For those of you who are desperate or enjopy Herculean tasks, here is the Procedure:

1. If using my RAM Limitation Patch, make a backup of WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\VMM.VXD if any.

2. Install U98SESP3 but do not reboot at end.

3. Unplug but do not remove USB Devices. Keep Keyboard and Mouse connected.

4. If using my RAM Limitation Patch Replace original VMM.VXD saved in step 1. If there was none, delete the new one.

5. Go to WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY folder.

6. From SP3.CAB, extract USBCCGP.SYS, UHCD.SYS and HOTPLUG.DLL.

7. Put USBCCGP.SYS and UHCD.SYS in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder.

8. Put HOTPLUG.DLL in WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder.

9. Go to WINDOWS\INF folder.

10. Edit the HIDDEV.INF File. Remove the text WDMSTUB.SYS and the following comma.

11. Edit the USBSTOR.INF File. Remove the text WDMSTUB.SYS and the following comma.

12. Edit the WINDOWS\WIN.INI File. At the end of the [windows] Section add the following line:

SkipMouseRedetect=0

13. Reboot into Safe Mode.

14. Go into Device Manager.

15. Remove all entries in the Keyboard Section.

16. Remove the System and Consumer Control Devices in the HID Section.

17. Remove all Composite Device entries in the USB Section.

18. Remove all Mass Storage Device entries in the USB Section.

19. Remove USB 2.0 Root Hubs in the USB Section.

20. Remove Enhanced Controller entries in the USB Section.

21. Remove other entries in the USB Section except the remaining Controller and Root Hub entries.

22. Remove USB Devices in the STORAGE, SCSIAdapter, Hard Disk, Disk Drives and any Vendor Named Section.

23. Install my WDMEX.VXD (still Alpha but enough for this task) and skip to Step 27.

Or run Steps 24-26.

24. Run REGEDIT.

25. Search for "usbhub.sys". Find the first one that is named NTMPDriver. This should be one of the USB Root Hub entries.

26. Replace the data with "wdmstub.sys,usbhub.sys".

27. Reboot.

28. You will probably encounter lockups as devices are loaded. If so reboot and try again. You may have to do this more than once.

29. Edit the WINDOWS\WIN.INI File to remove the SkipMouseRedetect Line added earlier.

30. If using my RAM Limitation Patch, remove the MaxPhysPage Line from WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI and either remove or adjust the MaxFileCache Line.

This procedure works on one of my Computers. There is no guarantee it will work on yours.

It assumes that you are using the original USB Drivers that come with Windows 98SE for the Controllers, USB Keyboard and Mouse.

You expect users to go through 30 steps instead of 5 just to get things working? You must be out your mind to think that. Not only that, you expect us to purchase 2 of your programs when its cheaper to borrow a PS/2 device or buy one from a pawn shop. I don' t think you have common sense at all. You say WDMDTUB is flawed but you have yet to come up with a better solution. So far WDMSTUB has been working and its free.

You expect users to go through 30 steps instead of 5 just to get things working?

You can take your flames somewhere else.

I guided people to the 5 step procedure in Post #1. This 30 step procedure is for people who do not have PS/2 Ports and cannot use a PS/2 device.

My RAM Limitation Patch is compromised by the installation of the SP. I added instructions for people who already are using the RAM Limitation Patch. If you don't have the RAM Limitation Patch installed, you can ignore the steps listed.

My WDMEX.VXD program is an alternative to WDMSTUB without the flaw mentioned. If you bothered to read the instructions, I give an alternative procedure that gets around the flaw but of course involves more work.

If I was working for Microsoft, there wouldn't be any programs for Windows 98.

You will have more room for those eggs when you take your foot out of your mouth.

You expect users to go through 30 steps instead of 5 just to get things working?

Hu$tle, please lighten up. You're looking for problems where there isn't any.

rloew posted this temporary solution at the request of PROBLEMCHYLD. It is complex, and he doesn't have to post it, yet he did in order to help those who can't wait for a better solution. Nowhere does it mention the purchase of his software. He is only making sure that users of his patches don't run into any issues. Those who have his patch will follow the indicated steps, and those who do not will skip it. If you do not like the current solution, give him more time to test and produce a better one.

@ Hu$tle I'm just grateful for any help with windows 98 albeit paid for or free. Without the GENIUSES on this forum Windows 98/ME would have been dead years ago. I'v amazed friends of mine with what Windows 98 is capable of these days and it's all thanks to these VERY skilled programmers who put the time in to help this aging operating system. :)