USB Keyboards and Mice

rloew

rloew

What about creating an WDMEX.VXD version to the same point where WDMSTUB.SYS is? Maybe add your WDMEX.VXD to SP3. If its equivalent to WDMSTUB.SYS, then there is no lost. This might be helpful in the future. The extended version, users will have to pay for. If its not a good solution, I'll keep trying to come up with a better one.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot remember if already talked about :blushing: .

I came across this and thought it might be of use (or completely fail to):

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/dddtools/dddtools.htm

Device Driver Remover for Windows 95 & Windows 98

Writing PNP device drivers under Windows 95 or 98? The Remove Driver Utility follows Microsoft's directions layed out in the Device Driver Kit, to remove all traces of your device driver. This allows Windows to ask for a new driver once the device is plugged in again. Great for USB WDM Device Driver Programming.

remove.gif

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/dddtools/remove.zip

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot remember if already talked about :blushing: .

I came across this and thought it might be of use (or completely fail to):

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/dddtools/dddtools.htm

Device Driver Remover for Windows 95 & Windows 98

Writing PNP device drivers under Windows 95 or 98? The Remove Driver Utility follows Microsoft's directions layed out in the Device Driver Kit, to remove all traces of your device driver. This allows Windows to ask for a new driver once the device is plugged in again. Great for USB WDM Device Driver Programming.

remove.gif

http://retired.beyondlogic.org/dddtools/remove.zip

jaclaz

Thanks, but this won't work. It doesn't automate the tasks needed to delete all necessary drivers. With the tool, one will have manually delete which is not ideal. Its basically the same as going through Safemode. We need a tool to scan for all USB devices, delete them, reboot and re-detect on startup without the users input. I haven't given up yet and have no intentions to do so. If we don't find a universal solution, I will be forced to rest my hand. :}

I'll be looking into this as soon as I can take a break from the other projects (most importantly Dll Details, which must be brought to a better level). The issue popped up earlier in the SP thread and I've mentioned there the care that must be taken when building such tool, not to break something else or allow its usage for malicious purposes.

Anyway, it's good that the USB input devices issue came up now as it offers the necessary edge to approach the subject in the right manner. Problem is, I don't have a USB keyboard to test with - actually there is one Logitech G15, but it's defective and couldn't fix it as it needs spare parts. I do have a working USB mouse but that's not enough to test such tool, if/when I get to work on it. And come to think about it, there might not be any spare machine around for testing, with a USB 2.0 controller... Ugh! :(

Thanks, but this won't work. It doesn't automate the tasks needed to delete all necessary drivers. With the tool, one will have manually delete which is not ideal. Its basically the same as going through Safemode. We need a tool to scan for all USB devices, delete them, reboot and re-detect on startup without the users input. I haven't given up yet and have no intentions to do so. If we don't find a universal solution, I will be forced to rest my hand. :}

Isn't deleting all the USB keys under HKLM\Enum, which can be done with a batch file using reg.exe or the silent import of a registry file with key deletion entries, enough?

That should flush everything out, removing all the junk that accumulates there, and whatever USB device is still plugged on your machine should be redetected and reinstalled automatically on reboot, no?

Edited by dencorso