nLite puzzle

poodle78

Update from the weekend:

I opened a virtual Windows XP x86 in VMWare player, and brought into it an ISO of Win XP x86 SP2 that I ripped with imgburn in WIndows 7 x64. I installed nLite in the vm, and slipstreamed the cd key into the ISO files, making a new ISO. I installed vmware player in the vm, and I attepted to install the slipstreamed Win XP into a vm inside a vm, bypassing the warning it gave. It did the exact same way every other attempt went...the cd key was not there. On the other hand, everything else was unattended.

So, I copied the slipstreamed ISO to a flash drive, and took it to my Acer Aspire One netbook (running Linux Mint x86), and installed it in virtualbox. At first, it wasn't as promising as the other attempts had been, in that I had to press f8 to accept, C to create a partition, and so on. But after the files copied and the vm rebooted, everything else was unattended and the screen with the cd key did not come up at all.

So I went back to my desktop, dragged out an old Windows 2000 cd and made a slipstreamed ISO out of it. Then I burned it to a cd and installed it in a very old Dell Latitude cp/i laptop. It went the same way as the virtualbox installation had gone at first, but once it rebooted, everything was unattended.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

Well, it seems like your "problem" lies in VMWare Player and VirtualBox. Again, I have absolutely no problem in MS' Virtual PC 2007. There must be a "setting" you're failing to use. (VM inside VM? REALLY? Why not a NEW VM?)

BTW, in nLite Unattended, you will have to set the "OemSkipEula=Yes" (the selection is there).

And in the case of the Partition...

Autopartition=0

(also within nLite)

Try looking here (WINNT.SIF Reference). <-Maybe this will clarify your confusion.

Also, did you miss this Sticky? Some nifty Screenshots.

Edited by submix8c

• 2 weeks later...

Hello here

nLite can be used in Windows 7.

I use it myself on Win7 64 bits, i just have checked the "Windows XP" compatibility on the nlite executable.

I think the only thing that must be done on XP/2003 is the slipstreaming of a service pack.