nLite puzzle

poodle78

Good test suggestion, Ponch. :)

However, the CD key issue is not strictly an nLite problem. It occurs from the command line also and is not limited to Win7. But it does seem to be limited to XPx86 SP3 sources--not XPx64 SP2.

That might be the case for my home pc, although I still don't understand why the key is not being displayed. It's not just being rejected as being invalid - it's not being displayed. However, this would not be the case at my work pc. I am running Win XP sp3 32-bit, and using the same cd (although it is sp2) to test slipstreaming the cd-key to an unattended installation (and using the same cd-key, a VLK, to do it).

It does appear that sp2 successfully integrated into the x64 installation I am trying to make. Now if the sata drivers work, I'm in business. I really don't absolutely have to have the cd-key integrated, I just saw that that was possible, and I wonder why it isn't working for me.

From what I remember it is the integration of SP3 under Win7 that blocks the key functionnality. So you can say it is not an nLite bug but it is still a bug "with" nLite (I'm not discussing whether the author could have fixed it or not at the time SP3 or Vista came out). Also whether integrating SP3 manually from an elevated command prompt solves the problem or not (as I think I remember I read that somewhere), I never checked it.

Really silly question... are you running this from with BIOS BOOT TO FROM CD (WINNT.EXE) or are you running it from a Windows OS (WINNT32.EXE)? If the latter, the WINNT.SIF won't be "picked up". You need to run the WINNT32.EXE from a Command Prompt and specify the "WINNT.SIF" for the Unattended (ref. UNATTEND.TXT).
Will test "slip"/Install SP2 shortly... This "problem" makes no sense. You DID slip the x64 SP2 "Full", right? I just don't understand how the WINNT.SIF can be ignored from CD-Boot (it's right there in El-Torito Boot Image->SETUPLDR.BIN).

Also please note the other post I made. x64 SP2 is more-or-less equivalent (slightly precedes) to x86 SP3 and coincides with the linked-to MS article.

I remember this issue when vista first came out.

SOMEHOW, when you slipstream a xp era SP it uses the pidgen.dll (Don't quote me on the name) file from the running OS and wreaks all sorts of havok.

Thusly the key will not be recognizable to the XP os when installing.

EDIT = THE OFFICIAL MS Bulletin on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950722

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

So, as has been said several times in this thread, and echoed in the most recent link Kel posted, if the OP slipped SP2 while in Win7, that very likely could have caused his problem. The integration will appear to have succeeded, but the product key will not be accepted when the OS is actually installed. To eliminate this possibility, the integration, and any use of nLite, needs to occur under XP, either within a VM or on an actual XP install. The OP might want to try this and see if it indeed solves all his current problems.

Cheers and Regards

So, as has been said several times in this thread, and echoed in the most recent link Kel posted, if the OP slipped SP2 while in Win7, that very likely could have caused his problem. The integration will appear to have succeeded, but the product key will not be accepted when the OS is actually installed. To eliminate this possibility, the integration, and any use of nLite, needs to occur under XP, either within a VM or on an actual XP install. The OP might want to try this and see if it indeed solves all his current problems.

Cheers and Regards

I think I need to clear something up...

1. I tried this on two different PCs

2. It was two entirely different slipstream attempts, using two entirely different Windows XP CDs.

3. One (at home on a PC running Windows 7) was with Windows XP Pro x64.

4. The second was at work on a PC running Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 and done with the same XP SP2 cd that was used to install Windows on this machine.

5. Both were tested in VMWare Player.

6. Neither showed that the CD key had been entered.

fwiw, I did a real install of the XP x64 last night at home. The SP2 slipstreamed, the sata drivers did not. I think I may have put in the wrong drivers. I had downloaded f6flpy3286.zip (I saw this in a tutorial) and slipped that driver into the installation, but it did not work. I found out what they are (made sure with Belarc), but in all honesty I can't find them anywhere. They do not seem to be on the Dell website. So I was checking out the installation with sata turned off in the bios.

Fortunately, I had an image backup of my Windows 7, made with Macrium Reflect. This morning, I restored back. The little woman will just have to get used to 7.

f6flpy3286.zip <--- 32bit i.e. x86 architecture...

Attach (Not paste) your winnt.sif file, it is in the I386 dir.

Remove your serial.

The drivers ARE on the dell site...

I ripped them and attached them here for you.

Duh...I should have been able to see that they were x86 drivers; in my defense, this was the first time I had tried this. But onward...

Where did you find the Dell drivers? If I put in my service tag #, only 12 things show up, but if I look at Precision 490s in general, 83 things show up. I selected sata, not SAS, and 3 urgent downloads were there. I tried all three of them. 2 of them didn't work, and the other told me it was not for my hardware.

I will attach the sif file for the x64 try when I get home.

I just tried the one at work again, with an entirely new attempt at inputting the cd key for a fully unattended install. Same thing, the cd key does not appear. Attached is the sif.

Thanks.

WINNT.SIF

Here is the BASE need winnt.sif file I use.

Please add your key and try it. (Just to rule out any thing nLite + WinXP 64-wise.

;SetupMgrTag 
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=DefaultHide
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=no
TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[UserData]
ProductKey=*****_*****_*****_*****_*****
FullName=""
OrgName=""

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off

Dell drivers page. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Index

3. One (at home on a PC running Windows 7) was with Windows XP Pro x64.

4. The second was at work on a PC running Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 and done with the same XP SP2 cd that was used to install Windows on this machine.

(3) Unlikely to work as stated above.

(4) If the XP SP2 CD is x64 while the PC is "running Windows XP Pro SP3 x86" this is also unlikely to work. If the XP SP2 CD is x86 then hopefully Kel's example winnt.sif will help shed some light on the problem.

Sorry if I have misunderstood anything.

Cheers and Regards

Here is the BASE need winnt.sif file I use.

Please add your key and try it. (Just to rule out any thing nLite + WinXP 64-wise.

;SetupMgrTag 
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=DefaultHide
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=no
TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[UserData]
ProductKey=*****_*****_*****_*****_*****
FullName=""
OrgName=""

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off

Dell drivers page. http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Index

Thanks. Didn't work. Same blanks for cd key.

I put my cd key in with hyphens. Should I have used underscores, or does it matter?

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-server-2003/41270-unattended-winnt-sif-being-ignored-2k3-x64-cd-install-but-works-2k3-x86-cd.html

1 - DID YOU put the sample in the CORRECT FOLDER (above applies also to XP, BTW)

2 - (I asked this before...) DID YOU BOOT TO THE CREATED CD? (see my POSTS ABOVE!)

Do NOT tell me this DOES NOT WORK!

I ALSO stated that in order to install via WINNT32.EXE you MUST use the provided parameters (I gave links to the appropriate ones) and (not really sure about this) it MUST BE DONE FROM x64-OS/WinPE (x64 WILL NOT "UPGRADE" FROM x86)!

In addition, IF you use VMWARE, then it MUST be run on an x64 OS AND it must be set up AS an x64 Machine! PERIOD!

Do I REALLY have to load my Dell up to prove it (currently unhooked and loaded with OEM MCE)?

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-server-2003/41270-unattended-winnt-sif-being-ignored-2k3-x64-cd-install-but-works-2k3-x86-cd.html

1 - DID YOU put the sample in the CORRECT FOLDER (above applies also to XP, BTW)

2 - (I asked this before...) DID YOU BOOT TO THE CREATED CD? (see my POSTS ABOVE!)

Do NOT tell me this DOES NOT WORK!

I ALSO stated that in order to install via WINNT32.EXE you MUST use the provided parameters (I gave links to the appropriate ones) and (not really sure about this) it MUST BE DONE FROM x64-OS/WinPE (x64 WILL NOT "UPGRADE" FROM x86)!

In addition, IF you use VMWARE, then it MUST be run on an x64 OS AND it must be set up AS an x64 Machine! PERIOD!

Do I REALLY have to load my Dell up to prove it (currently unhooked and loaded with OEM MCE)?

I am not now nor have I been mixing x64 with x86. I don't know how I am giving that impression. I thought I had been fairly clear about that. Everything at home is x64. Everything at work is x86. It the x86 that has not worked today. But to be very clear:

My work pc is a Dell Optiplex 620. It is running Windows XP Pro SP3 (x86) that was upgraded via download from a Windows XP Pro SP2 (x86) cd installation. The same cd I used to make the files I tried to slip the cd key into. These are the same files I substituted the WINNT.SIF that was attached above into. The cd key is not showing up when the installation in VMWare player gets to that point.

So, to answer your questions:

1. I haven't been trying it today with x64, so no, or I don't know.

2. I have been booting to the created ISO in VMWare, so no CD actually exists.

I didn't say it wouldn't work, just that it hasn't worked for me yet.

And no, you don't have to load your Dell up and prove it. Better you would load MY Dell up and prove it.

Edited by poodle78

I am not now nor have I been mixing x64 with x86. I don't know how I am giving that impression.
I didn't say that.
Everything at home is x64. Everything at work is x86.
I'm fully aware of that (the "slipping" of an SP for EITHER CD was addressed based on that).
It is running Windows XP Pro SP3 (x86) that was upgraded via download from a Windows XP Pro SP2 (x86) cd installation.
You obviously (?) mean (1)Installed the CD-XP-SP2 then installed "WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" onto the Running System.
The same cd I used to make the files I tried to slip the cd key into.
"Make the files"? You mean SlipStream SP3 onto the SP2 CD-Image via nLite (assuming AT WORK on the x86)? That statement makes no sense... I must "assume" you mean the nLite "run" you did with the LastSession, which MAKES NO SENSE since the nLite "run" (LastSession) says the SOURCE was SP3, and NOT an "untouched" SP2 Source. I beleive you were told that you CANNOT NLITE FROM ANYTHING BUT AN UNTOUCHED (ORIGINAL) -OR- one that was MANUALLY SlipStreamed (on HDD - many references on how-to) and NO OTHER ACTIONS.
These are the same files I substituted the WINNT.SIF that was attached above into.
HUH??? How did you get a WINNT.SIF on it? Was that the one you "created"/slipped using nLite from WORK?

I can take that EXACT SAME WINNT.SIF, stick in into I386, burn a BOOTABLE CD/Image, and Install from Boot. The ONLY thing I see different is the quotes (") wrapped around the Key - maybe that's the problem?

One for my daughter (she's running it now) x86 -

; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates="No"
Autopartition=0
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=DefaultHide
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemPreinstall="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
Hibernation="No"

[Display]
Xresolution=800
Yresolution=600
BitsPerPel=32

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AdminPassword=*
TimeZone=035
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1

[Components]

[UserData]
ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
ComputerName=*
FullName="Sherri"
OrgName="HOME"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language= "0409"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup="WORKGROUP"

edit - P.S. - same thing for VirtualPC (which is what I use) ;)

Edited by submix8c