Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

Thanks for the quick reply. Where can I get the Driver when the Ultrabook came with the Intel Driver per Default and without Win 8 installation disc? Can only find AMD and Intel drivers via Google and I could not find it on Microsoft.com.

MagicAndre1981

A few questions...

The shutdown test you suggest is NOT really a Shutdown test, but rather a Restart test. There is a notable difference, real shutdown with power off is often significantly longer than system restart, and boot process is handled differently as well after that. Can you suggest a clean test to analyse full system shutdown, and also a boot after full shutdown?

Another thing is some activities at shutdown or boot hiding behind generic processes. For example, I can see that svchost.exe is taking quite some time to close at shutdown. But such generic process usually runs multiple system activities, and its not detailed in the trace, what activity within the process actually took that long to complete. For what I know, any malware can hide in svchost.exe process among other activities run by it. Are their tools that offer a greater level of detail of what actually goes on with such generic process during shutdown?

Yet another thing is, suppose a process like svchost.exe is identified that slows the system down. But what can I do about it? For example, dataserv.exe process extends shutdown and boot times almost twice in my system. The process maintains a USB link btw PC and APC Power Supply. So what can I do about it - switch it off, basically get reed of APC - its impossible... I can probably set a delayed start for it, but... how to set to close it ahead of actual shutdown, and would it even make sense given its nature?  :angel

Edited by zamarac

I did run your commands, they don't work for full shutdown with power off & cold boot, and that process is very different from hot PC Restart. Please read my above post again, and try to directly answer its simple questions. It looks like you're avoiding answering basic methodology question.

Why you didn't mention Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA) - a GUI-based component installed with Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT), more comprehensive and convenient for an ordinary user than an xml file for figuring out boot & shutdown & standby & any app performance issues? Older Xperfview is also installed with same WPT and can directly open .etl files, no conversion to .xml required. You neither mentioned more flexible Windows Performance Recorder also installed with WPT allowing to record broader choice of traces compare to commands you posted. Also another Perfview tool can help visualize and analyse performance issues.

If you still use Windows Vista, and don't have any experience with Windows 8, not sure why you mislead users offering help in several threads related to modern OS performance?

Edited by zamarac

Sorry. Since you refuse to answer methodology questions, I don't feel comfortable sharing files, as I want to learn optimizing the system myself.   :no:

Edited by zamarac

I did ... cold boot, and that process is very different from hot PC Restart.

A full shutdown then startup usually use a Hybrid Shutdown/Bootup methodology unless you've disabled it (which you should).

A restart by default is actually more thorough, and represents a true shutdown and restart.

The intent was for a shutdown to be more like an old Hibernate, and (assuming every driver manages power transitions properly) your system would emerge from hibernation faster than it would do a full bootup.  Obviously with a hibernate you continue with whatever problems your system has accumulated since the last real bootup.  That Microsoft now hides this distinction from folks just leads to confusion.

Do yourself a favor and disable "fast startup" (aka hybrid boot) if your system can do it and is set for it.  A real bootup takes only a little longer and will leave your system in a clean state, ready to work.  See also the many Google results for "windows 8 hybrid boot", e.g. this one (one of the first search results just now):

http://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-hybrid-boot-and-shutdown-in-windows-8/

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 1 month later...

Hey MagicAndre1981

Boot times seem a bit slow (45s) on this Crucial-SSD based system I've just built my Dad, so I'd be grateful if you could take a look at the ETL. With drivers, it was 900MB (compressed to 100MB) vs 133MB without!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fDI89phEESVVJ5UnpRZ0xHSTg/edit?usp=sharing

Also, do you have any idea why Win8.1 would ignore an item in the Startup menu and not launch it at startup? It works fine if I click on the link manually and Starter and SlimCleaner both show it as one of the enabled items to be run at startup.

Boot to UI is fast with 8s, but to be fully booted it takes 36s:

- <timing bootDoneViaExplorer="8365" bootDoneViaPostBoot="46065" 

I see that the Defender is still running even if you have Avast and Comodo installed. It causes a large CPU usage during boot. Take ownership of this key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender), give your account full permissions and set the value DisableAntiSpyware/DisableAntiVirus to 1.

You also start a ton of tools at startup. Look what can be removed.

And next time, buy a license for your Dads PC and don't use a KMS crack ("C:\Program Files\KMSpico\Service_KMS.exe") activated Win 8.1 Enterprise ;)

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Boot to UI is fast with 8s, but to be fully booted it takes 36s:

Thanks, I thought Defender might still be useful in conjunction with Avast (Comodo has HIPS but no AV/anti-malware) but I'll disable it and see what difference it makes. I think I've already pared down the startup items to the minimum my Dad needs but I'll have another look.

I only wanted to try Enterprise to see if the extra RemoteFX features actually benefit him in his situation but they don't seem to. Maybe it only works if you're using a virtualised Hyper-V system, although that would seem to be adding an extra layer of complexity compared to RDP'ing directly to the real machine. Considering that Steam can stream full HD games to another PC on the LAN, you'd think Microsoft could find a way to make RDP work at least as well. Anyway, I'll probably repurpose his old PC as a Win7 PC so that my Dad doesn't need to use RDP anymore, so I'll likely just tell him to buy Windows 8.1 Core or even use Windows 7 instead, as he still has some spare licences for that. :)

• 1 month later...

MagicAndre, I have followed your instructions and obtained a boot trace.

This one line here is very bothersome:

postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" osLoaderDuration="443304"

As far as I can tell, osLoaderDuration appears to be atomic - is my understanding correct?

I have documented elsewhere my struggles with some Surface Pro systems, for example, please see:

http://reboot.pro/topic/19874-windows-81-uefi-boot-issues/

In a nutshell, after using imaging tools like Macrium Reflect Free Edition or Paragon Hard Disk Manager, and restoring my Surface Pro disk images, my Surface Pro starts booting extremely slowly.

The delay above is a 5-10 minute delay, I consider myself still lucky for that one. I've had delays as long as 20-30 minutes, where the system simply sits idle, showing the Surface logo, and nothing else. I often thought the system must have hung in these cases. One day I got lucky and noticed that it did all of a sudden boot, showing the rotating boot spinners (churning at regular speed, not very slowly like some other reports of slow boots online), and immediately after loading the Desktop.

Do you have any thoughts on this scenario? Is something undocumented and unknown going on so far?

Thanks very much for your help...