Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

Problem solved. I wrote simple tool that do scan and remove unused keys (with exclusions of default keys and keys with existing paths). I used WinPE to clean hive. I loaded bloated hive (it was loading about 10min too) and used my tool. It removed 4300000+ keys in total. Then I reexport this hive into new file to reduce size and defragment hive, (now it weight 150mb). After this just replaced bloated hive by new one. Now all is good :). .blf and .regtrans-ms files I just removed (they not affectted on boot time)

I think that reason of problem was glitched spooler servise (one time i found that it eat my cpu, may be it was installing phantom printer drivers that created these junk keys).

Big thanks for all.

459px-Windows_8_logo_and_watermark.svg.png

This is an updated tutorial of my Windows 7 here.

To get started you need the Windows Performance Tools Kit. Read here how to install it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=146919

Now open a command prompt with admin rights and run the following commands:

For boot tracing:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Note, in Windows 8 it is safe to use the DRIVERS flag, the Windows 7 bug is fixed in Windows 8.

For shutdown tracing:

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

For Standby+Resume:

xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

For Hibernate+Resume:

xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

replace C:\TEMP with any temp directory on your machine as necessary to store the output files

All of these will shutdown, hibernate, or standby your box, and then reboot to finish tracing. After you login to your PC, the new startscreen is shown and you have to click to the desktop to see countdown timer. Again, wait until the timer finishes. Afetr you did this you should now have some tracing files in C:\TEMP.

Analyses of the boot trace:

To start create a summary xml file, run this command (replace the name with the name of your etl file)

xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_boot.xml -a boot

Now you see this picture.:

Boot_Summary.png

Hi MagicAndre1981,

I found your post while searching for ways to speed up my windows 8 boot time. It used to be around 10 seconds but now takes about 66 seconds or more, while Soluto said it takes about 1:27 for a full boot.

I did all of the steps, downloaded the Windows Performance Tools Kit. I got up to that last step that I quoted you on, because I have no idea how to "create a summary xml file and run it in the command." I desperately want to speed up my boot time. I would love for you to help me!

Also, I have noticed the last few days that my computer sort of freezes between the dell black screen and the start screen which never happened before. The screen is just greyish black for about 30-40 seconds. =/

Zip is a file format to reduce the file size:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_%28file_format%29

Install a tool like 7-zip, go to C:\temp and create a zip file of the file fastStartup_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl or boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl (depending if you tarced the old school or the news fast Boot)

I know what a zip file is but I have no idea where to find C:\temp? Can you please guide me the right way? I am sorry, I am not the best at these things but I appreciate all of your help and patience. =)

the delays happen because of:

1st: RequestCredentials takes 11s. So enter the password faster and if you use a LiveID/MS Account,make sure you have Internet Access so that the PW gets validated faster.

2nd: you run too many tools at startup. Remove useless tools like Vit Registry Fix, Revo Uninstaller, Soluto, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Find Junk Files, Auslogics Disk Defrag and System Ninja.

You use so much crap tools which only damage your PC.

Guilty. I am obsessed with cleaning my computer. lol

But either way I have made sure that none start at startup. How come they still are? Can you help me fully remove them from boot time since none of the programs you listed show up on my services or startup manager? Will uninstalling do the trick?

But what about the credentials request? I don't have any passwords set on my computer...?

Thanks in advance! =)

Do you think by doing this, will it get me back to when the computer was brand spanking new? : )

Also, I would like to do a refresh but I am scared I will loose some programs I need for school. Does it kill all applications and software I have installed?

Thanks again for all of your help! = )