Trace why Windows 8 boots, shutsdown or hibernates slowly

MagicAndre1981

do you apply group policy settings? Are the apps installed there?

I found the cause ....

I had customized my default start screen following this :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134269.aspx

I had appsfolderlayout.bin in there and as soon as I removed it, login time went below 15secs for new users.

Now I need to try the other 2 methods for customizing the start screen because I need to!

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Usually I discover solutions for my problems myself... But this confused me.

post-374844-0-35314500-1362041934_thumb.

This happens with normal boot (or restart).

System stuck at booting with logo and rolling dots almost for 10 minutes, with some cpu load and no HDD activity, then boots up normally. It begins about month ago, I dont know when and after what. I use only sleep and hibernation, reboot only after updates and BSODs (sometimes it crash when going to sleep, thanks for nvidia).

I can't google something similar problems.

In trace I found that one thread (472 in this trace) in System process starts after autochk end, and stuck for large time, and booting resumed after it ends. I tried to uninstall AV, and tried to disable autochk, but no success. HDD is good too.

Fast boot working good, but it not needed for me...

.etl file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/38ylwjcdgumr7gt/boot_BASE%2BCSWITCH%2BDRIVERS%2BPOWER_1.7z

Can someone help me?

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

summary_boot.xml

Hi all. Usually I discover solutions for my problems myself... But this confused me.

post-374844-0-35314500-1362041934_thumb.

This happens with normal boot (or restart).

System stuck at booting with logo and rolling dots almost for 10 minutes, with some cpu load and no HDD activity, then boots up normally. It begins about month ago, I dont know when and after what. I use only sleep and hibernation, reboot only after updates and BSODs (sometimes it crash when going to sleep, thanks for nvidia).

I can't google something similar problems.

In trace I found that one thread (472 in this trace) in System process starts after autochk end, and stuck for large time, and booting resumed after it ends. I tried to uninstall AV, and tried to disable autochk, but no success. HDD is good too.

Fast boot working good, but it not needed for me...

.etl file here https://www.dropbox....RS%2BPOWER_1.7z

Can someone help me?

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

If you havent already done this try:

1.Go into msconfig, click on "Services" tab and check off "Hide all Microsoft services"

2.Then go to "Startup" tab and disable tasks.

3.Now go and reboot and check again and see if that makes a difference for you..

4.If Not and 472 is the culprit see what pid 472 is and if its needed or not.

go to task manager > click on "Details" tab and look for the PID 472 and .exe file its using..

then you can kill it from commandline:

Pid number => C:\>Taskkill /PID 472 /F

or

Pid .exe => %windir%\system32\taskkill /f /im file.exe >nul 2>&1

I tried to clean autostart. No difference. This problem occured even in safe mode boot.

472 is thread of "System" process (pid 4). And how i can kill process in booting?

What OS are you using?

Are you on a lap or desktop?

Is windows updates Enabled?

Are you using Google desktop?

Uninstall your anti-virus and see if you still have issue

Right-click and check that the priority is Normal.

ok. checking the registry causes the high CPU usage of the Kernel (SYSTEM) and this causes the long boot delay:

post-70718-0-45684300-1362077352_thumb.p

Run this:

xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+POWER+REGISTRY -stackwalk RegQueryKey+RegEnumerateKey+RegCreateKey+RegOpenKey+RegCloseKey

to capture registry data.

Ouch... Looks like i found problem.. I have a lot of "DRIVERS{...}.TM.blf" files in config registry folder (36000+!!), and my SOFTWARE puffed up to 1.2GB! :blink: WTF!??

post-374844-0-30581600-1362084329_thumb.

It is possible to fix this without reinstall system?

Found lots of wrong keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles\ with

%SystemRoot%/system32/spool/DRIVERS/ paths... will try to clean it... :wacko:

Ouch... Looks like i found problem.. I have a lot of "DRIVERS{...}.TM.blf" files in config registry folder (36000+!!), and my SOFTWARE puffed up to 1.2GB! :blink: WTF!??

post-374844-0-30581600-1362084329_thumb.

It is possible to fix this without reinstall system?

Well I learned a long time ago, sometimes it just a heck of a lot easier and faster to just cut your loses and do a reinstall and be done with it, instead of spending hours and hours trying to p*** in the dark..