clamwin/spybot conflict

pulteny

Hi all I am new to this forum, so beware of mistakes?

I have an old Gateway computer running Win98se.My antivirus is the free version of clamwin and the antimalware is spybot search and destroy,A recent update to V0.97.5 of clamwin has brought up an issue with a file " w9xpopen.exe". spybot looks on this as a bad guy. clamwin will not open when this file is removed ,a catch 22 situation.

Any of you out there run this combination?

Regards pulteny.

Hi all I am new to this forum, so beware of mistakes?

I have an old Gateway computer running Win98se.My antivirus is the free version of clamwin and the antimalware is spybot search and destroy,A recent update to V0.97.5 of clamwin has brought up an issue with a file " w9xpopen.exe". spybot looks on this as a bad guy. clamwin will not open when this file is removed ,a catch 22 situation.

Any of you out there run this combination?

Regards pulteny.

Welcome, pulteny.

I don't use either app, but suggest you upload 'w9xpopen.exe' to virustotal and check it out. If it looks OK, presumably there's a way you can configure S&D to ignore it. Also report this issue to whoever are the respective app support.

Joe.

As jds said, If it is NOT really "bad" (actually a ClamWin program) then you can -

1 - Report it to SpyBot

2 - Put an "exception" in SpyBot (select "Advanced Mode" at the top to see additional options)

Also don't TOTALLY trust VirusTotal - SOME of the software listed actually comes up with False Positives (even on XP programs).

"w9xpopen.exe" appears to be a Python "wrapper"(?) program. Not really sure... BUT it might be because it "calls" some Windows pgms/functions causing it to be suspect.

See this - appears to be safe.

Also don't TOTALLY trust VirusTotal - SOME of the software listed actually comes up with False Positives (even on XP programs).

"w9xpopen.exe" appears to be a Python "wrapper"(?) program. Not really sure... BUT it might be because it "calls" some Windows pgms/functions causing it to be suspect.

See this - appears to be safe.

Agreed. See what proportion of scanners at virustotal detect malware and judge how dependable they are likely to be.

Also, don't trust any report file XYZ is OK unless there is an MD5 or SHA1 or similar hash given that you can use to see if yours is the really the same file.

Joe.

Hi all.

submixBc I used a prog. go-back to find the file as I am now running the older version of clamwin.I have put it on a memory stick.The use of properties tells me that it is" used by python's OS to work around a limitation in Win 95/98".

I have never used these virus check sites so some help is required,do I copy and paste from memory stick or what?

I am not too confident in working with program files! Will look into advise given as to changes in spybot.

Regards pulteny.

Hi pulteny,

This is the same Lipper as ClamWin forums. I posted there re: Spybot TeaTimer.

I have never used these virus check sites so some help is required,do I copy and paste from memory stick or what?

Navigate to https://www.virustotal.com. Click Choose File and point to file w9xpopen.exe on your memory stick. Click Scan it! and wait for the results.

Cheers,

Lipper

Hi again,

I sent file to virustotal and jotti no problems found.I have joined the spybot forum so far no reply to my post, it is a big spread out forum so wish me luck.

Thank you all whom responded.

Regards pulteny

Navigate to https://www.virustotal.com. Click Choose File and point to file w9xpopen.exe on your memory stick. Click Scan it! and wait for the results.

VirusTotal ( 42 scanners ) is a good site. There is also Jotti ( 20 scanners ) and VirScan.org ( 37 scanners ). There is some overlap between them but it never hurts to scan twice.

Relevant news: not that it is a bad thing but within the last day, Google acquires VirusTotal. Also: Google acquires VirusTotal, but will continue independent operation.

EDIT: added another link

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all.

The conflict is over.Today I updated my clamwin antivirus from V0.97.4 to the latest V0.97.6. There has been no response from spybot so all is well!!!

Thank you all who responded.

Regards pulteny.