Using nLite for a music computer

bopeuph

A recording engineer has directed me to nLite for my new music computer. I browsed the website and have a few questions.

I will be building a new desktop tomorrow with WIN7, and I intend to keep the internet away from this computer. The internet capabilities will be disabled to save CPU. So most programs that deal with that, I would like to get rid of in the installation. If there are any suggestions on what should be disabled to maximize for audio (while still having decent video capabilities for running a DAW with a video sync), that would be great.

Also, does there need to be a preexisting version of Windows on the computer before I can use it? As in, do I need to install Windows, open the .exe file, then reinstall? Or is there a way to start it before its first installation?

Thanks,

Nick

Really? So I'm just better off with a fresh install?

On this computer, on my music partition, I have things like animation, internet services, and desktop themes disabled. The guys over at a recording music forum talked about customized XP programs that were streamlined for music production. I figured I could do the same for WIN7 on this new machine, and have a very fresh start. But are you saying I'm just as fine by doing a regular install and just turning off all those services?

Really? So I'm just better off with a fresh install?

On this computer, on my music partition, I have things like animation, internet services, and desktop themes disabled. The guys over at a recording music forum talked about customized XP programs that were streamlined for music production. I figured I could do the same for WIN7 on this new machine, and have a very fresh start. But are you saying I'm just as fine by doing a regular install and just turning off all those services?

What possibly Ponch meant is that no matter how much bloat :w00t: the good MS guys manage to add unneededly to an OS, thanks to Moore's Law:

http://www.mooreslaw.org/

and similar trends in hardware development, if you have some "latest" hardware, it is so d@mn powerful that it can run a Windows 7 with no apparent slowing down.

Slimming down an OS can be fun :thumbup , and it may be needed if you have (like it always happens when using oldish hardware with newly released OS) some performance issues, but with latest hardware Windows 7 runs OK even without any "liting".

Still, a slimmed down OS would be "snappier", the point being - unless you do it for the sheer fun of it - if it is worth the time involved... :unsure: when compared with a "normal" 7 with the most "offending" services/whatever simply disabled.

jaclaz

Well, it is for work (I'm a music copyist), and I am learning some new programs when this computer is built, which includes sampling and powerful digital audio workstations, but you do have a point. Besides, the system drive won't have any of my files on it, so I can format any time I want and not worry about the files. So I can start with a regular install, and if I'm having dropouts with recording, I'll try to lighten the OS.

Thanks for the help!

NIck