Remove "Audio Service" from XP while keeping the sounds

Agorima

Hello everybody,

Back in the days, when the people at Microsoft were creating the Windows Whistler, the use of mp3s was growing all over the world, thanks to Napster (it died only one month before Windows XP was RTM'd), and I don't know why they added the dumb "Audio Service" in XP when in Windows 2000 was absent.

So I'm here to find a way to remove the "Audio Service" while keeping the sounds, like in Windows 2000.

Edited by Agorima

The service's description says that it is impossible. Anyway what problem do you have with it?

I don't have any problem with the audio. I want to have, in Windows XP, the same behaviour which Windows 2000 has.

What "behavior"? Just "Disable" it and see if you still have any sound. :w00t:

"Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

So... you DON'T want Audio? If you want to, go to the Registry and delete it. But you'll regret taking that action. ;)

Edit - hmmm... just disabled mine, and WMP plays MP3's... Windows sounds fail...

Edited by submix8c

What "behavior"? Just "Disable" it and see if you still have any sound. :w00t:

"Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

So... you DON'T want Audio? If you want to, go to the Registry and delete it. But you'll regret taking that action. ;)

Edit - hmmm... just disabled mine, and WMP plays MP3's... Windows sounds fail...

In some way would be possible to play MP3 without the idiotic "Audio Service" added in XP.

Without it, the audio card worked fine in Windows 2000.

P.S.: When the people at Microsoft created Windows Vista, they added another idiotic service, "Audio Endpoint Service", then they added a useless dependency.

Edited by Agorima

(sigh...) Do what you wish - Find the Service in the Registry, export the REG file. delete the Entry from the Registry, Restart and be satisfied. I personally have no problem with it.

I did a "basic test" and gave you the results. If you have any problems with any Software, just reload the REG file and reboot.

-OR- just DISABLE IT!!!

While i love the way people try to customize or improve (in their own way of course) their OS, i don't really understand what's the point wanting to make things differently when there isn't any gain (and that seems to be the case here).

As windows audio service use svchost.exe to host its dll (audiosrv.dll) it should not take more than a few KB in memory and also it shouldn't use too much cpu.

But perhaps you're having a hard time diagnosing a problem with svchost so just in case, the proper way (disabling services isn't what i call a good way) of doing things is explained on MS Blogs.

Also, if you're just looking to remove unneeded services (in the sense that you don't need them on your computer) then most of them are useless but most of them a providing functionalities and some are mandatory (like RPCSS).