Dual Boot: XP and 98 on Dell Dimesion 5150

VuMartin

Hi, i have installed Windows 98 and Windows XP on the same harddrive. Windows XP is booting , but 98 is hanging and freezing in the Windows 98 splash screen.

W98 is C:

and

XP is D:

1. I put the disc on the DVD tray and boot it from the CD.

2. I pressed Windows 98 with cd-rom support. then i started fdisk, Primary DOS partition (98) is 35% and Extended DOS partition (XP but was later converted to NTFS). Set the primary partition to active, and restarted the pc.

3. Windows 98 Setup was later executed, i installed it on C:/Windows and then i choose the custom installation (without Web TV). I typed the name and everything. Then set the nationality, everything was set to Swedish or Sweden. Later Windows 98 started installing.

4. After a restart. i punched in the key and the setup looked for PnP devices. Later i got my first signs of error.

"Your Multi-function device "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller"

has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility mode drivers. Their Configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.

After you restart your computer, Windows will use compatibility-mode drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device.

If you want to use 32-bit drivers, you may be able to obtain an updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contacting your hardware manufacturer or you can disable the device.

Press any Key to Continue"

i restarted the computer by just holding down the "power on" button. I couldn't press any key when the warning screen was still present.

5. After that it still continued to fin sh installing windows 98, I set the time zone and clock. Then when i restarted the computer, Windows 98 was booting and then it turned black and said like this:

"Completed updating files, continuing to boot windows."

Then it hanged and wouldn't boot.

I restarted once again but this time Windows froze at the splash logo screen.

6. I booted in to safe mode, and it booted to the desktop screen. Weird. But i couldn't install any drivers. Becuase the was no USB that got detected and "My Computer" didnt even detect any CD or DVD drives.

------------------------------------- [Windows 98 Installation ends here]

7. I started to install Windows XP by booting to the disc. I converted the FAT32 D: partition to NTFS and the setup began.

8. After that i typed my name, set the nationality, product key and that, XP was booted with sucess.

9. Then i stuck the USB to the PC and took some drivers to the C: partition.

10. Safe mode was booted to install the drivers (98) but this couldn't be done.

What's wrong?! Help me! :(

Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 with HT (turned off) 3,00 GHz (Prescott)

GPU: ATi Radeon X600 256 MB

RAM: 2x512 DDR2 400 MHz?

HDD: Maxtor Maxline III 250 GB SATA

ODD: NEC DVD-RW+

Floppy: Generic Floppy Drive

Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2

Ethernet: Intel Pro 100/VE Network

Chipset: Intel 945G Express

Windows 98 will be used for Gaming, some software and Nostaliga!

(Sorry for the bad english, i'm swedish)

All help appreciated!

P.S Be sure to suggest any fix, patch or software!

Windows 98 So Far (Updated 26 Aug 2012):

Only bootable in safe mode...can't install any drivers. But can change the reg and other stuff.

. (searching... I have a Dimension E510 - some similarities)

Is RAID turned OFF in BIOS (2 HDD's rq'd for RAID)? Looks like the BIOS is very much the same is mine.

SATA Operation - (RAID Autodetect/ATA default)

Identifies and defines the SATA controller settings for RAID.

You can set the SATA controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA or RAID On.

No support for SATA/RAID in Win98 without a 3d party software (look for member name="rloew" posts). Edited by submix8c

. (searching... I have a Dimension E510 - some similarities)

Is RAID turned OFF in BIOS (2 HDD's rq'd for RAID)? Looks like the BIOS is very much the same is mine.

SATA Operation - (RAID Autodetect/ATA default)

Identifies and defines the SATA controller settings for RAID.

You can set the SATA controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA or RAID On.

No support for SATA/RAID in Win98 without a 3d party software (look for member name="rloew" posts).

Which posts mentioned "rloew" the SATA thing?

RAID is set to "RAID Autodetect/ATA default"

Still no effect though.

Edited by VuMartin

(sigh....) There is a "gear" above next to "Search" - click on it.

Now enter 'SATA" in "term" and "rloew" in "member name". He has a SATA-supporting Driver (but not free). Also search (Google) the internet - his websites pop up immediately. Go from there.

I haven't yet attempted to load 98SE onto my E521 (misspoke - not an E510) yet. It SHOULD have loaded - maybe you need the latest Intel Drivers (mine is VIA-based)? :unsure:

(sigh....) There is a "gear" above next to "Search" - click on it.

Now enter 'SATA" in "term" and "rloew" in "member name". He has a SATA-supporting Driver (but not free). Also search (Google) the internet - his websites pop up immediately. Go from there.

I haven't yet attempted to load 98SE onto my E521 (misspoke - not an E510) yet. It SHOULD have loaded - maybe you need the latest Intel Drivers (mine is VIA-based)? :unsure:

Thanks i found it, now i must test it. After i'm done with school!

RAM: 2x512 DDR2 400 MHz?

See this thread in regard to >512MB of RAM issues
DOH!!!! Should have noticed that. As for the other item I highlited, beware of HDD sizes - look here as well (fixes available and lots of info).

Still no sucess guys...and installed all patches that rloew provided, but none of them do any effect.

When i press normal instead of safe mode, Windows still stucks at splash screen. :(

REMEMBER i can only boot in safe mode!

CHIPSET: INTEL 945G EXPRESS

Edited by VuMartin

Still no sucess guys...and installed all patches that rloew provided, but none of them do any effect.

You couldn't have installed all of my Patches. There is no Demo for the SATA Patch.

You couldn't have installed all of my Patches. There is no Demo for the SATA Patch.

Yeah, i saw that later. I wish i could pay now. :(

I'm 15 years old and i don't get to pay a single cent.

SOMETHING HAS HAPPEND!

After i deleted two "Standard Dual PCI Controllers" in the device manager.

When i pressed normal. Scandisk would show up, it has never appeared when i boot normaly. No error was found. Still stuck at splash screen, though.

I'm gonna try using 512 MB RAM now.

Edit: Forgot that windows now says "completed updating files, continuing to load windows" Still hangs.

Safe Mode says HIMEH extended memory test...done and then loads. RAM issues?

Edited by VuMartin

See above posts, my friend. Links are there. You can't "run" with that much RAM. While in Safe Mode, you can edit/replace a couple of files to overcome (work around) the RAM problem. That'll get you part of the way there.

"HIMEMX.EXE to replace HIMEM.SYS" <-part of the "fix"

Read all relevant links thouroughly.

Is THAT the "patches" you installed? (??? 1GiB should be ok, though) And you alos "patched" for the HDD Limitation, correct? (BTW, re: HDD there are stipulations for Partition Sizes/Types)

(Hmmm 945g... sounds familiar...)

edit (references) -

Oddly there's a Server on HP's website w/this chipset and it states "windows 98SE" as a compatible OS.

edit2 - highest appears to be the 925... don't know if "modding" the INF in it would work...

Someone's Dimension Reference

5150 Service Manual

Edited by submix8c

Hello, VuMartin,

let's start with the obvious:

Most of your hardware *should* work out of the box, (Motherboard, Graphics, etc.), except for one thing: The 250 GB SATA-disk.

(If you can, though, please name your motherboard, as there are some, which have a 945G chipset, and still do not work).

W98SE does not support HDDs greater 127 GB out of the box. There is some software from rloew, but you have to pay for it. I cannot say anything about it, as i'm not using it.

W98SE does not support SATA-controllers in SATA Mode, but only in IDE-Mode. Even then, some won't work ever.

There's more than one way to solve your problem, here is mine. It may mean spending a bit of money (not much, though), but it will spare you a lot of headaches.

1. Get an IDE-HDD

Buy (or get one somehow) an IDE HDD smaller than 127 GB. As W98SE really doesn't need much, even a used HDD of 30 GB will do it. You can get a new one with 60 GB for about € 60, and get a Transcend SSD 320 of 30GB for about €50, or get a used one via ebay. The cheapest way may be to get one from your local Nerd (over the age of 35) for free, though, just ask around... ;-)

2. Connect it

Connect that HDD to your Parallel ATA port (also called IDE port or PATA port) - you may have to enable it in your BIOS, and make it the boot device. DON'T connect the SATA-Disk now, you'll do that later.

3. Install W98SE

Install W98SE to this disk. If you want to makes sure this works flawlessly, have only 512MB Ram installed. Test and install, until everything works fine. Power down.

TIP: Copy the conent of the W98SE-CD into a directory you might call "INSTALL.W98", and have your W98-registry point to that. If you don't know how, ask me later.

4. Connect SATA-Disk

NOW connect your 250 GB SATA-HDD to the SATA-port. Boot up your W98SE.

If the systems boots up without warning, everything is fine, and you can power down, and proceed to step 5.

IF you have strange warnings about compatibility-mode, disable the SATA-disk in your hardware-manager (if you don't know how, ask me).

As your SATA-HDD should be reserved for your installation of XP, and you will not be able to access it because of NTFS anyway, that should not pose a problem.

Now re-boot W98SE, and the problem should be gone. If it is not, you may have to delete a certain registry-key (ask me about that in case of need), and THEN after another reboot it WILL work.

5. Install remaining RAM

Install your other 512 MB of RAM, if you didn't already right at the beginning of step 3. MSFN.org is full of advice on how to configure your machine in the sticky topics, read that first. In case you have problems with it AFTER reading: Ask me... :)

Reboot and configure until everything works fine, then power down.

6. Install XP to the SATA-disk (have it formatted with NTFS right from the start)

That's it.

Ragnar G.D.

Edited by ragnargd

W98SE does not support HDDs greater 127 GB out of the box. There is some software from rloew, but you have to pay for it.
Both true, HOWEVER, there IS a topic on this and MOST folks use the "patched" module (I do). Again, there are stipulations to PARTITION size and NOT the HDD size with the patches.

The fact that the OP can boot to Safe Mode, however, indicates a Driver problem of some sort.

The motherboard. The OP is more fortunate tha I am - I have no PATA connectors.

Drivers (Vista/XP 32-bit, like mine).

Suggest reading two topics (links given) re: RAM and HDD-Size. Drivers may be causing hiccup.

Of course, using a PATA HDD could work (the boxes allow for two HDD's - my box is exactly like yours - stupid mBTX Form Factor - B=Backwards).

Edited by submix8c