Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver for Windows98

mrbigmouth502

I suggest downloading from the above links Lenovo's Win98/SE drivers for the 2100 3B and installing it first. You will probably have to select it manually for your card and confirm that you want to use it even though it wasn't written specifically for your hardware. If you can get it to work and are satisfied with 'B'-only speed, you can stop here.

The next step is to download Lenovo's Win2K drivers from the above links for the 2100 3B and 2200 BG. Compare the Win2K files (especially inside the *.inf) for the two products to see what drivers changes were made to upgrade from 2100 3B to 2200 BG. Then try to make those same changes to the Win98/SE 2100 3B drivers to create a new Win98/SE 2200 BG driver.

If you can create a working driver that did not previous exist, it would be a giant leap forward in our efforts to learn how to create Win9x driver for many modern devices that we can't currently use in Win9x systems! :yes:

I'm a n00b when it comes to programming and things like that, but I'll definitely give it a try! :D Of course, in the meantime when I redo the OSes on my old laptop, I think I'm going to stick on a lightweight install of XP and a lightweight Linux distro along with 98 just so that I have all of my bases covered. It's not actually essential that I have wireless working on Win98, since I mainly want to use it to run a couple of old DOS games that are too demanding to run on DOSBox, but it would be rather cool

Edited by mrbigmouth502

• 1 month later...

Unless I wasn't fully awake this morning or my eyeglasses were too dirty, somewhere on a Intel page (linked somewhere above) it states clearly that there once was a Windows9x version of the 2200BG driver and the last 9x compatible version seems to have been 8.1.0.28 which fixed a certain bug in previous version. I've wasted eight hours today, searching for that version on the web and all I could find was at most an utterly useless installer on Cnet, which I wouldn't use even if my life depended on it. Someone has been very careful in removing all traces of all Windows9x drivers off the face of the web. :(

The irony is, I just realized I have such mini-PCI Wi-FI card - the very same model - in a drawer, given by a friend of mine after dismantling a broken laptop. If I ever end up with a complete laptop that I could fix for myself (or someone else) and would need a 9x driver for that piece of hardware, they're gonna hear from me badly. :realmad:

(typos are gonna kill me someday...)

Edited by Drugwash

Unless I wasn't fully awake this morning or my eyeglasses were too dirty, somewhere on a Intel page (linked somewhere above) it states clearly that there once was a Windows9x version of the 2200BG driver and the last 9x compatible version seems to have been 8.1.0.28 which fixed a certain bug in previous version. I've wasted eight hours today, searching for that version on the web and all I could find was at most an utterly useless installer on Cnet, which I wouldn't use even if my life depended on it. Someone has been very careful in removing all traces of all Windows9x drivers off the face of the web. :(

The irony is, I just realized I have such mini-PCI Wi-FI card - the very same model - in a drawer, given by a friend of mine after dismantling a broken laptop. If I ever end up with a complete laptop that I could fix for myself (or someone else) and would need a 9x driver for that piece of hardware, they're gonna hear from me badly. :realmad:

I'm sorry for your troubles

Hey peeps :), what about making some order? :unsure::ph34r:

As seen from the outside:

1. The OP mrbigmouth50 asked (vaguely) for drivers for a "generic" Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 card (but he did detail how the intended target is an Acer Travelmate 4502Lmi )
  2. submix8c pointed to a resource on the Lenovo site about a card Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG but with NO driver for Win98
  3. PROBLEMCHYLD (rather apodictically) stated how WIn98 drivers for that (which?) card do not exist
  4. jumper provided a link (still on the Lenovo site) for the Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B card and some ideas to modify the 2K drivers for use with WIN98
  5. PROBLEMCHYLD stated how the given links were not working (possibly meaning that the links do work in the sense that they open a page, but that the drivers in it are not suitable for the card (which?) the OP asked about)
  6. jumper confirmed that drivers for WIn98 drivers exist (for which card?) and that the links are working (possibly in the sense that they do open a page)

I guess that in comparison the guys building the Tower of Babel were kids when it comes to mis-communication..... :whistle:

jaclaz

I see the original poster hasn't been back to share results :D

Thats because the results are [THERE ARE NO SUCH DRIVERS] for Win98.

People constantly posting old versions of the driver is not a solution.

All they are doing is sending others on a wild goose chase. Please, stop it.

This is the only hardware I have that doesn't have a Win98 driver. So far, no one has proven me wrong. Its ok to be right sometimes. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

While I don't believe the search should be abandoned, I was able to track down this mysterious 8.1.0.28 version. And it is Windows 2K/XP only. So the Lenovo page is incorrect in claiming 9x compatibility, with that version at least.

Release Notes

Version 8.1.0.28

A package claiming to be a "Beta" version of the 2200 drivers seems to also be 2K/XP only.

Beta Package

Maybe that version had been released in separate packages for 9x and 2k/XP and you just tracked down the latter. I couldn't find any details on it on the Lenovo page, therefore this is just an assumption. After all, there's been eight or nine years since the release of the package.

Sorry guys, but there is NO DRIVERS for Win98. Its ok if people don't believe that and want to keep searching, but please considerate of others. Having people search for a driver that doesn't exist is.................................. Thank you LoneCrusader for finding an older driver. This shows that no matter how far you go there was no win98 drivers.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The 2100 driver someone showed on Lenovo site I could not get working with a 2200. "Driver cannot start..." error. I am on a AMD+ATI platform too (HP NX6125 laptop)

Ralink RA2560 did work nicely ^^

• 2 weeks later...

The 2100 driver someone showed on Lenovo site I could not get working with a 2200. "Driver cannot start..." error. I am on a AMD+ATI platform too (HP NX6125 laptop)

Ralink RA2560 did work nicely ^^

That's unfortunate.

The other option would be to adapt the W2K drivers, however, the older drivers such as '1vwc27ww.exe' require a missing function "NdisInitializeString" (which would need to be added to the WdmStub project for a chance at W98 compatibility), while the newer drivers require several more missing functions.

Looking at some of the file naming conventions for the 2100 and 2200 drivers, we typically see 'w70n9x.*' for W9X 2100, 'w70n5.*' for W2K+ 2100, 'w22n50.*' for W2K 2200 and 'w22n51.*' for WXP 2200. From this pattern, we would expect to see 'w22n9x.*' for W9X 2200 drivers. However, there are no signs that such files exist (or have existed), hence nothing to indicate that W9X drivers ever existed for the 2200.

BTW, the oldest 2200 driver I've found for the 2200 is version 8.0.12.9000 at : ftp.upf.br/arquivos/drivers/Notebook/NEC/NEC%20VERSA%20M340%20FM340/DEVICE/WLANCal2/

The 2100 drivers seem to have version no. 7.*, while the 2200 drivers seem to have version no. 8.*.

Joe.

Edited by jds

• 9 months later...

I agree with drugwash, someone has removed all traces of 98 files. I have found Intel PROset 8.0.0-8.0.0.167 A 21.6mb exe installer which has been cleverly disabled. Search for 95358_95358.exe, it's free. Says "cannot be unpacked....has been corrupted". Someone (intel?) has put one line of code into it to prevent unpacking. Disassembled with IDA pro problem list: Address .text:00407EE3 NODISASM jb short loc_407E70 If someone knows how to remove this and reassemble the exe we might have something.

Maybe it is just a corrupted file.

In any case it does open in 7-zip (enough to see it's contents, and there are just a Win2K and a WinXP folders, not really much of use, even if it was not corrupted and/or protected/whatever).

That file is seemingly a driver for the Sager NP2885 and can be found here (directly on the support page):

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=driver_download

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=driver_download2#

http://www2.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/download.cfm?ProductType=2885

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

I'm close to getting the Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG working. I have used the same approach as I did with the BROADCOM drivers. I have a problem with NDIS.VXD. The image should give you more to go on. Just for the record, I have yet to find any official drivers for win98. I had to combine 3 intel driver packages just to get where I'm at.

By the way, if you get a message about updating Windows Installer, you can use the one that is Intel has included in the package. (I don't know why the software doesn't just install it unattended).

Once you extract the package the file is called INSTMSIA.EXE. It will be in C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLLANINT\APPS\PROSET\WN98SEME