Service Pack 2 for W7?

johnhc

...with unlimited bandwith, yes completely unlimited...
Digitalfox, I am curious about this. Did you mean unlimited GB downloaded not unlimited bandwidth (speed)? If you really meant speed, how is this accomplished? Is the delivery via cable, fiber or what? What kinds of speeds do you actually see? Enjoy, John.

Interestingly, this thread has taken some strange turns.

First, sorry about my delay in answering, workaholic ;)

Of course I mean unlimited GB downloaded/uploaded, I'm on DSL, 16/1Mb.

We have fiber here, my ISP provides true FTTH (Unlimited traffic, no Traffic Shaping) for +/- 50€ month for 100/20Mb (plus unlimited phone calls for homes + 140 TV (20 or 30 HD) Channels, but not in my area yet.

Think of this screen in 4 years when you have to install 300 updates :angry:

Yep. Although that number is probably low for the year 2016. And just imagine in 2020.

I had someone call me after they reset their laptop to factory default, Win7 RTM naturally, and complain it was taking forever with absurdly high number of updates. This was the updates=automatic feature enabled by default after the reset.

I asked them to stop the updates and launch Windows Update from the Start Menu, walked them through the Scan and get to the criticals. Sure enough, Service Pack 1 was but one of many updates selected for install. Which number in the sequence it would have been I don't know. I had them only select that and proceed.

This whole thing is a real bad mess. How is it possible that Sp1 is not the very first ( and singular ) update applied by either the Automatic Updates or manual Windows Update function? What a massive recipe for disaster.

For NO apparent reason:

that-awkard-moment-when-you-just-wanted-to-do-a-quick-restart.jpg

:lol:

jaclaz

That reminds me of when I was out at the corporate hq, and at the end of the day I shut down the notebook to a screen like that. Here's me sitting in the car, waiting on installing updates (on battery no less) while everyone is inside the restaurant having a good time. :blushing:

Here's me sitting in the car, waiting on installing updates (on battery no less) while everyone is inside the restaurant having a good time. :blushing:

Well, at least you are sitting in the car....and it isn't raining... :whistle:

SCOOP! :w00t:

I have a RARE image of Trip outside the restaurant (and with no car) attempting to protect the privacy of his customers ;):

LaptopBurka04.jpg

laugh.gif

And before someone invents a new accessory for IT Admins without cars, it has been already invented :w00t:
http://www.prlog.org/11975147-zippaz-announces-debut-of-zippa-shade-universal-computer-umbrellafits-laptops-pads-tablets.html
http://zippashades.com/index.php/zippa-categories/category/listing/27-computer-umbrella.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

MSFT tries to push Windows 8. It wouldn't surprise me if there won't be a Sp2. MSFT reduces the amount of SP dramatically for each product. This is again the Sinofsky Style. F*ck you costumers, to get fixes buy the next product.

Actually, this reminds me of Windows 95! Remember OSR2? Microsoft refused to offer OSR2 as an update to retail variants!

This caused me to get P-ed back in 1999.

This whole thing is a real bad mess. How is it possible that Sp1 is not the very first ( and singular ) update applied by either the Automatic Updates or manual Windows Update function? What a massive recipe for disaster.

Windows Update would probably install SP1 first and then the later updates. It installs only the updates that contain the latest version of each updated file and it installs the updates in an order more or less unrelated to the one that lists them before updating (I don't know why it does that but thanks God the order of installation seems to usually be the correct one).

• 1 month later...

not to mention that .net shouldn't even be in any SP

I thought that .net shouldn't even be.

Yes, last character in the above is a dot, or full stop or period. ;)

jaclaz

I couldn't agree more. But unfortunately many programs require it.

not that many

and those that do, you can surely find better alternatives

the only thing that is essential for PC users that uses .net is AMD(ati) display control center, thankfully nvidia isn't that dumb to force people on .net