Service Pack 2 for W7?

johnhc

I can only surmise that since MS laid off a mess of folks AND they threw their effort into Windows 8 to compete with Apple and Google (to name a couple) that it's probably delayed, potentially to "back port" Win8 stuff (yuk!) to Win7.

I too have found little except months-old rumors.

I too wonder about SP2. If Windows 8 and Metro defies the expectations and takes off I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck Windows 7 in an early grave.

However, two obvious things contradict that. It is cheaper to roll up all the updates into a single service pack from their point of view considering the time it takes to hit the servers one file at a time again and again. And the other thing is that they have support planned for at least ten years, so unless they dramatically alter their public statements and commitments all signs point to SP2 and even SP3.

Far more likely is that there won't be any physical media for SP3 and maybe SP2 except from OEM's still selling machines, but it again hinges mightily on the success or failure of Windows 8 and Metro.

Common sense would suggest that Microsoft would happily keep important operating systems up-to-date as it is in everybody's interest for a stable computing universe. They followed common sense back in the NT4 and Win2K days but have been back-peddaling with each successive release it seems. And with more than a few strange decisions and careless mistakes emanating from the halls of Redmond lately, I'd say it is a coin toss if they get this one right.

I haven't heard anything about a service pack 2 for windows 7, From my experience service pack 1 is fine. Microsoft will be supporting windows 7 with mainstream updates till about 2015 and then end security updates in 2020. 8 years to go, not a huge amount of time really :/

Windows NT 4.0 - SP6a

Windows 2000 - SP4

Windows XP (x86) - SP3

Windows 2003 Server / XP x64 - SP2

Windows Vista - SP2

Windows 7 - SP1?

Hey guys, do you realize the graphical aspect of this trend? :unsure:

It is probable that Windows 8 will have NO service pack (i.e. you will be stuck with the stuypid thingy "as is")! :ph34r:

;)

:lol:

jaclaz

post-25215-0-88905900-1346066146_thumb.j

to me whole MS approach is stupid

bgates once in past said that purpose of SP to him would be only to deploy patches

but even when "last" SP's are being released, there are tons of patches later

by the logic there should be "end-SP" that would deliver last "wave" of patches and then to end the product support

just look how many patches XP has after SP3... its hilarious

There will definitely be at least an SP2 for Windows 7, although there may not be an SP3. I wish for a Vista SP3 more than Windows 7 SP2 at this moment. :( The new evil Msft only supports an OS depending on how well it succeeds or fails. Vista didn't deserve this.