Microsoft removing XP downloads

Did you download only ENU files or does your archive cover all languages?

I only do English language computing, so I downloaded only English download center. No disrespect but saves me a ton of headaches of partial English, partial translated stuff.

The -bleep- removed the download for Access Based Enumeration (ABE) GUI for Windows Server 2003!
I had never heard of it before, and you're right! I've located the I386 one but not the AMD64 one - both direct links are dead (found them). Also appears to be just for SP1 and won't install on SP2? In addition, apparently some folks (example) found that the AMD64 one won't install (maybe because of SP2?)...

Here is apparently an alternative. <-have not tried yet...

Edited by submix8c

I found it via Internet archive<snip>
How odd! I just used that with the "direct links", chose downloading with FlashGet and the "direct link" was used (same as previous attempts) BUT the Referrer was filled in this time (blank when "New Download") with "http://archive.org/web/web.php". Weird! Anyhow, got both of them (I386/AMD64 ENU).

Starting to look like we'll need a "Direct Links" text file for any/all 2K3 and XP files. Post-SP2/SP3 would be fine. Would be real nice to have HBR's stored "somewhere" as well (wink-wink) along with the associated KB#-text. We're already having problems with Win2K files (both Pro and Server). Seriously looks like MS is swiftly "pulling the plug" on a lot of stuff. Gotta love the "cloud"...

edit - BTW, "InstEd It!" is a great MSI editor (as opposed to ORCA). Some minor mods DO work better with ORCA, however.

Edited by submix8c

Hmmmm... maybe they're transferring to another server and the files are "temporarily unavailable"? I had tried (see original "complaint") at that time and got a "not found"...

It may be partially true but they did remove some older files like the IPv6 stack and several other very old updates for Win2k.

Edited by tomasz86

Hmmmm... maybe they're transferring to another server and the files are "temporarily unavailable"? I had tried (see original "complaint") at that time and got a "not found"...

It may be partially true but they did remove some older files like the IPv6 stack and several other very old updates for Win2k.

Many of the Visual Studio 6.0 downloads are also missing.

I just downloaded both AMD64 and I386 versions of ABE directly from MS

Yeah I saw it popup on the MS Download Center the next day. I ranted about it on Twitter or maybe it was just a coincidence that I decided to download ABE on the one single day it was missing. :lol:

If anyone wants any deleted file/download from MS Download Center, feel free to contact me via PM because I downloaded it almost entirely till 2006.

Btw this URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=&p=1&r=50&t=22441&s=availabledate~Descending works nicely to list ALL downloads by date in descending order.

Edited by xpclient

Just want to thank everyone who is archiving this stuff. The problem is you never know what crazy download you are going to need until you need it. And with the way the internet works these days once a file is removed sometimes that means it is gone for good.

Just want to thank everyone who is archiving this stuff. The problem is you never know what crazy download you are going to need until you need it. And with the way the internet works these days once a file is removed sometimes that means it is gone for good.

That's true because M$ doesn't like when their files are stored on 3rd party servers. Because of that ALL websites link directly to the M$ servers to download their files. Then if M$ removes the file the URLs become invalid too.