[Solved] Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

mateczko

Ok, I will try running this game with UNIVESA, UniVBE 6.7, and VBEMP 2010.06.01, under Microsoft Virtual PC.

VBEMP 2010.06.01 = No effect, same as the default S3 drivers.

UniVESA (in DOS-mode) = No effect.

UniUBE 6.7 (in DOS-mode) = Kinda works, but now the game gives this error:

http://scr.hu/90y/9lwg2

Which is weird, because this directory does indeed exist.

Edited by mateczko

1. I would need to change all files to their 8.3 names, in order for this game to run on DOSBox....

I see no evidence that this is either a DOS app or even a 16-bit app at all. I think it's a Win32 console app.

Is there a reason you keep us guessing instead of just telling us the name of the app?

All available references seem like suggesting that Scitech Display Doctor worked with the game allright.

Try it, here:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/*

BTW, it is possible that you need to try the older version 53.

Don't forget this:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20080515000000*/http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/regcodes.txt

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I see no evidence that this is either a DOS app or even a 16-bit app at all. I think it's a Win32 console app.

It's a hybrid ...

- DPMI-loader / DJ Delorie

- Common Object File Format - (Intel 80386)

- DJGPP

-----------------------------MZ-EXE DOS executable-----------------------------

--sizes: header 28, relocs 0, empty 484, image 1536, overlay 1172480 bytes --

--memory: 0027/FFFF,SS:SP=0000:0760,CS:IP=0000:0054,relocs:0 --

--dos/exe.compiler GNU C / go32stub 2.02 // DJ Delorie --

------------------------------------overlay------------------------------------

--data unix-style COFF executable --

--raw offset: 00000800, size: 1172480 bytes --

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wikipedia :: DJGPP ...

The compiler generates 32-bit code, which runs natively in 32-bit protected mode while switching back to 16-bit DOS calls for basic OS support. However, unlike OpenWatcom, it is not a zero-based flat model due to preferring NULL pointer protection for better stability. It is currently based upon a variant of the COFF format. It can access up to 4 GB of RAM in pure DOS when using a suitable DPMI host (e.g. CWSDPMI r7 or HDPMI32).

DJGPP presents the programmer an interface which is compatible with the ANSI C and C99 standards, unofficial DOS standards, and an older POSIX Unix standard. Compiled binaries are long file name-aware and handle such filenames under Win32 by default. TSRs to support LFNs under Windows NT 4 or pure DOS are available.

While DJGPP runs in 32-bit protected mode, its stub and library heavily rely upon many 16-bit DOS and BIOS calls. Because the x86-64 versions of Windows lack support for 16-bit programs,[2] there is no NTVDM, and DJGPP apps cannot be run. Under x86-64 systems these apps only function through emulation (e.g. DOSBox), virtualization (e.g. VirtualBox), or similar (e.g. Linux's DOSEMU). This problem arises because x86-64 processors in long mode do not support the virtual 8086 mode used to run 16-bit code in IA-32 processors. Newer x86 cpus with VT-X do support paged real mode and unrestricted guest mode execution.

The original Quake for DOS was compiled with DJGPP, as well as other programs such as GNU Emacs, p7zip, Vim, beye, UPX, NASM, THE, Linley's Dungeon Crawl, NetHack, Perl, Python, and auxiliary applications within Arachne.[3]

To mateczko, one thing I noticed is that the DBZ-ME2.exe at 442,996 bytes is UPX packed. When you unpack it the size will be 1,174,528 bytes. This shouldn't matter except for when you have a really slow processor or maybe some combination with a DosBox or a VM. You might try unpacking the EXE and running it that way, it certainly can't hurt. Do you know how to unpack it? I'll attach it here in a RAR, just let me know when you download it so I can delete it (uses up most of quota).

EDIT: removed attachment

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

For now, Windows 98 is installing on VirtualBox, it's really slow.

Yes, I've downloaded the unpacked executable, you can delete it. I will try it out.

EDIT:

Great news! :w00t: :w00t:

With SciTech Display Doctor, the game finally runs! :thumbup :thumbup And it runs great! :thumbup:thumbup

I finally got this problem fixed. :rolleyes:

EDIT2:

I also managed to make MIDI work for my game inside the VirtualBox. Now I'm in heaven.

Well not everything is perfect. MIDI works inside Media Player, but doesn't work in the game. I don't mind it, as it doesn't make the game less playable, and it's the problem with the game, not Win98. Thanks for ALL you help.

Edited by mateczko

(sigh...) Did you try adding/installing the SoundBlaster DOS drivers and changing AUTOEXEC.BAT accordingly? (I gave the link to instructions).

I will also (just for fun) attempt to install into my VPC-Win98SE. The MS VPC was intentionally made as an "older" VM just for basic compatibility. (Yes, Toto, the drivers ARE at the links I gave).

Here's an interesting set of DOS/Win3x drivers.

And really, please close this topic.

Before that, it would be nice if you could detail the EXACT steps you took, the EXACT version of Scitech Display Doctor, etc. this way should someone have your same problem he/she will be able to find a suitable complete answer. :yes:

jaclaz

Well, I could make a tutorial on how to emulate Windows 98 perfectly, on VirtualBox. But it would take a long time.

Basically it goes down to:

1. Setting in the VirtualBox audio to "Soundblaster 16".

2. Running the setup program with "/p j" switch, to force ACPI installation.

3. Install the Scitech Display Doctor https://www.dropbox.com/s/226caou8x0jf8vm/scitech-display-doctor-7.iso this version. It also includes the key. And set it up to use it's own graphic driver.

4. Installing AMNHLT, to make your host computer a little bit quiet :) It's here: http://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/cpu/cpuidle/amnhltm.zip Just run the batch file, and accept the registry.

And that's pretty much it.

Also remember to turn off the hardware visualization, BEFORE installing Win98, and turn ON hardware visualization after installing Win98.

Edited by mateczko

Sadly to say, :( but VirtualBox has one annoying bug. It doesn't stretch the video in fullscreen. So when my game has 640x480 resolution, it's centered, and the rest is black. And to my knowledge, there's absolutely no way to fix this. And if i set the resolution 1280x1024, it does infact fix the problem, but then , the game performance is very slightly worse, and the sound stutters just a little bit more.

Edited by mateczko

Please close this topic. I know you will not, but I beg you.

I wonder why the heck :w00t: are you obsessed with "closing" this thread.

There is NOT one reason on the world to close a thread such as this one, as someone could add new findings, report his/her experience ask for further help (and members that took part to this thread may have chosen to be notified about new posts), etc.

This is closed. My main problem (not able to run this game in NTVDM or any VM software) is fixed. Capiche?

I know (mainly because the issue was "solved" following my suggestions/hints ;)) that your main problem is solved, but actually there are NO such things as your problem or my (or anyone else's) solution.

There is was a problem and a working solution for it.

We are Borg...

borgmsfn.jpg

(image courtesy of PuntoMX )

What you could do would be to edit the title of this thread from the current "NTVDM doesn't work on Windows 7 x86" to something more "logical" like:

Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

and, ideally add to it a [solved], like:

[solved] Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Okay, I've changed the topic's name, and removed all mentions about closing the topic. I hope someone will find this topic useful. B)

EDIT:

One extra thing, don't ever bother with Virtual PC, I've just tried it with SciTech Display Doctor, and it didn't help. I would stick to the VirtualBox.

Edited by mateczko

Okay, I've changed the topic's name, and removed all mentions about closing the topic. I hope someone will find this topic useful. B)

EDIT:

One extra thing, don't ever bother with Virtual PC, I've just tried it with SciTech Display Doctor, and it didn't help. I would stick to the VirtualBox.

You could also try directly Qemu (or - easier Qemu Manager):

http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm

the emulated hardware tends to be pretty much "standard", though cannot say if it will be too slow for the game :unsure: .

jaclaz

Yea, I've had QEMU on mind. But since VirtualBox does it job fairly well, I'll keep it. Maybe they will include scaling on fullscreen mode in future versions. I can only wish. :angel

EDIT:

I just found out that I can use VBoxSDL, included with VirtualBox, to launch true fullscreen mode, and maybe the scaling will be included, I'll test it.

EDIT2:

IT WORKS! IT F***ING WORKS! :thumbup :thumbup :w00t:

Just type this command in cmd inside the VirtualBox folder:

VBoxSDL --startvm [name of you vm's UUID] --fullscreen

To get the UUID, type this command:

VBoxManage.exe showhdinfo "[path to your VM's hard disk]"

It will give you the UUID of your VM.

WOOHOO! No errors whatsoever! The resolution is scaled properly! :D:D

Edited by mateczko