[Solved] Running Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2 in a VM

mateczko

First off, I'm using Windows 7 x86, so NTVDM, and all three files associated with it (config.nt, autoexec.nt, and command.com) are present on System32 directory, and are not modified in any way.

So when I try to load any Win16 program, or MS-DOS program with .com extension, I get the famous error message:

"config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

But the "config.nt" is present, and it's not modified in any way. I even extracted the original "config.nt", and "autoexec.nt" from my Windows 7 DVD, but it didn't changed anything. :realmad:

Also, NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is set to 0, so it's not the cause of this problem.

Maybe it's because I've turned off some specific service? (and I did turned out quite a few, to free my RAM).

So, do I have to reinstall my OS, or someone will help me? :)

Edited by mateczko

Did you remove services of just disabled them ? if so restart your os with the default service configuration ( a .reg is avaible for that) and you will se if your problem

is cause by a stopped service.

If you have a 64-bit processor, 16-bit instructions need to be emulated. I don't think WOW can do that.

Edit:

AMD64 and Intel 64 processors can run 16-bit code when operating in "Legacy mode."

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Legacy_mode:

Legacy mode

The mode used by 16-bit ('protected mode' or 'real mode') and 32-bit operating systems. In this mode, the processor acts like a 32-bit x86 processor, and only 16-bit and 32-bit code can be executed. Legacy mode allows for a maximum of 32 bit virtual addressing which limits the virtual address space to 4 GB.[1](p14)(p24)(p118) 64-bit programs cannot be run from legacy mode.

Thanks, Tripredacus!

Edited by jumper

I disabled them, not deleted them.

I do have a 64-bit processor, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, in fact.

I'm gonna try resetting the services.

EDIT:

I have reset all default services to their default values, but still it doesn't work. :realmad:

Edited by mateczko

If you have a 64-bit processor, 16-bit instructions need to be emulated. I don't think WOW can do that.

User says he is using a 32bit OS. the capabilities of the CPU have nothing to do with whether he can run 16bit instructions or not.

I have found that DOS programs do not run very well on their own in Windows 7 x86. In my experience they either malfunction, crash immediately on opening, or spike the CPU to 100%. I would recommend you use an emulator such as DOSBox, or a VM with DOS/Win9x installed in it for these apps.

DOSBox does not support LFN (Long File Names), which my specific MS-DOS game needs. I tried for three days to install Windows 98 (on which I've played this game originally 9 years ago) using QEMU, VMware, and Microsoft Virtual PC, but there always were some errors including errors about not having a VESA driver, game not running, or having bad performance.

I don't want to go back to WinXP, which supossedly has better NTVDM performance, from what I've seen, I can't go back to Win98 either. But I would really want to :thumbup.

I will try reinstalling the OS.

Edited by mateczko

Um... I won't swear to this but I believe there are DOS drivers for MS' VPC, if you're looking for strictly DOS-mode.

Look for "S3 Trio" drivers, specifically (AFAIKR) "S3 Trio 64v". The Sound is "Soundblaster Compatible" and should also work. No Gameport though.

Here are some DOS drivers that may work.

I don't want strictly-DOS-mode, because it doesn't support LFN. I have tried DOSLFN and LFNDOS, but they didn't help. I though NTVDM would help me (like it did on my XP way back), but it doesn't work for me.

Edited by mateczko

??? I really don't understand.

Virtual PC w/Win98 works and so do 16-bit programs. The problem you're having is that the program (whatever it is - a game?) needs 16-bit drivers for the associated hardware. Heck, you can even get the NIC to work in DOS or Win98.

The above link is not as good as this one which is a really good collection.

MS' VPC is the old Connectix VPC - they bought the rights. Here is the Hardware emulated:

BIOS - AMI BIOS

Chipset - Intel 440BX

Sound Card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 ISA

Network Card - DEC or Intel 21140 10/100

Video Card - S3 Trio 32/64 PCI with 8MB VRAM

Here is the Video capabilities:

Video

■ Emulates the S3 Trio 32/64 PCI SVGA Card

■ Implements 8 MB of emulated VRAM, allowing for up to 1600 x

1200 PC screen resolutions with 32 bit color

NOTE VRAM availability is dependent upon the guest OS’s video

driver. Some video drivers may only recognize 2MB or 4MB of

VRAM. Virtual PC Additions may be required for the guest PC to

recognize 8MB of VRAM.

■ Fully implements S3 Trio 32/64 graphic acceleration features and

is compatible with S3 Trio 32/64 drivers

■ Supports 1600 x 1024 and 800 x 512 16:9 aspect ratio modes

■ Also backwards compatible with MDA, CGA, EGA, and VGA

video modes

■ VESA 2.0 compliant

So... I'm really confused because you said

errors about not having a VESA driver, game not running, or having bad performance.
I gave you a link to full-blown drivers. Try them before you poo-poo the suggestion.

Ok. I will try once again to run this game in Virtual PC with Windows 98.

EDIT:

So as you can see, even though I have the VESA graphic card, and the original driver (not the Virtual PC one), I get this error.

http://scr.hu/90y/odj7o

I get the EXACT same message if I try to run in MS-DOS mode.

http://scr.hu/90y/mbl3j

Note that I had to use the "-nosound" parameter, otherwise the VM just hangs up.

Also if I use the Virtual PC's S3 driver, the VM hangs up on initializing sound for a little while, and then there's the same story as before.

http://scr.hu/90y/8ifeq

So Virtual PC + this game = :realmad:

Edited by mateczko

Ok. I will try once again to run this game in Virtual PC with Windows 98.

EDIT:

So as you can see, even though I have the (1) VESA graphic card, and the (2) original driver (not the Virtual PC one), I get this error.

I get the EXACT same message if I try to run in MS-DOS mode.

(3a) Note that I had to use the "-nosound" parameter, otherwise the VM just hangs up.

Also if I use the (4) Virtual PC's S3 driver, the (3b) VM hangs up on initializing sound for a little while, and then there's the same story as before.

(1) You mean the VPC "emulated" one?

(2) The one(s) from the FTP site?

(3a/3b) Did you "install" the Correct Drives for it? (same FTP site, btw)

(4) Virtual PC does NOT have Drivers - you are using the DEFAULT ones supplied with Win98.

(*) You will HAVE to allow resizing of the Screen in VPC

(*) Did you notice that VPC also has a couple of "extras" to allow accelerations?

-- -- in folder "Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC\Virtual Machine Additions"

-- VMAdditions.iso <--for Windows (DID YOU INSTALL THIS?)

-- DOS Virtual Machine Additions.vfd <--for DOS (DID YOU INSTALL THIS?)

(5) I note the "errors" and the info you just provided indicate that it's a Pure DOS 16-bit game. IOW, suitable to run on (e.g.) MS-DOS 5.0, so... Did you REALLY use XP's "DOS" and actually change screensize? AND have sound? Did you have to use ANY other drivers other than those supplied with XP on the REAL PC?

-ALSO in the FIRST screen - that's NOT a VESA driver.

Why is it I have a VPC DOS/Win3.11 AND a VPC Win98SE and both work just fine? BTW, I DID get the files from the site I gave and use them. I can ALSO use the Emulated Network Card in DOS and even PRINT to my... SHARED USB PRINTER. I can do ANYTHING in VPC that I could do if it were a "real" PC. That's where I do ALL of my testing.

Point of interest - VPC (like any other Virtual Machine software) just EMULATES hardware - you MUST supply the CORRECT drivers. The fact that the "game" works on a REAL machine (with XP installed) indicates that you MUST have installed CORRECT drivers for the "game" to function. This is NO DIFFERENT than a VM. Seriously!

I figured out the GAME you're having a problem with ("Dragon Ball Z MUGEN Edition 2: Freeware 2D combat game featuring characters from Dragon Ball Z"). I'll see what I can do for you. (you could ALSO help me help you by answering the above questions).

OR... just try MagicAndre1981's suggestion...

I had found a BETA one (doesn't work after 2000).

M.U.G.E.N supports most Sound Blaster-compatible soundcards.

To run this beta release, you will need a VESA 1 or VESA 2 compatible

video card. VGA is NOT supported.

Which means you need the VESA drivers.

BWAHAHAHAH!!!! I'm leaving all of the above but DID find this! Scroll down to

I downloaded Mugen Editon 2 and when I tried to play it, I got an error. It says cannot change video mode...What do I do?
CHANGE THE CFG! Do NOT use the Screen Size you clearly are trying to use (ref. screen shots). INSTALL THE VM ADDITIONS (the ISO). ADD THE LINES FOR SOUND IN THE AUTOEXEC.BAT!

(sheesh!!!!)

DOSBox does not support LFN (Long File Names), which my specific MS-DOS game needs.

If your game needs long file names, then it isn't really an MS-DOS app. Perhaps you moved the installed files to a subdirectory that exceeds the MS-DOS path limit.

If it really does need long files names, then it must have its own TSR or use a dos-extender to provide that support when running in real MS-DOS. If so, please elaborate.

From what I've read on other sites, DOSBox should be the way to go once you've solved the file names/paths issue.

1. I would need to change all files to their 8.3 names, in order for this game to run on DOSBox, and even then, the sound emulation isn't perfect, as it stutters. I've tested it before.

2. There's no TSR's or dos-extenders. This game only needs DPMI on pure-dos-mode, which I've provided.

3. I did change the cfg file in this game to have 640x480, not 320x240, but it DOESN'T do anything!

4. There is some options to change the VESA mode in the cfg file, but I've tested all modes before, and it didn't help.

5. Can I get some help on my original problem, as I've think we brought this way off-topic.

Now onto the questions about the screenshots.

1. Yes.

2. There's no drivers for the emulated graphic card on your FTP site. I used the ones supplied with Windows 98 SE.

3. Ditto.

4. VPC has it's own S3 driver, which allows for bigger resolutions at 32 color bits. But it doesn't make a difference.

* I did allowed resizing, but still no effect.

* I did install the VMAdditions.iso; DOS Virtual Machine Additions.vfd is not present on Virtual PC 2007 SP1, but they WON'T add any new graphic drivers, or sound drivers, so they wouldn't help.

5. When I was using XP, I did used the NTVDM, and I also used VDMSound, for sound emulation, becasue NTVDM DOES NOT support Sound Blaster 16, which my game needs, only Sound Blaster 2.0.

Edited by mateczko

I have the feelng that what is needed is a suitable VESA driver. :whistle:

Here are some:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080509121123/http://www.elys.com/software/vesa/

If I were you I would try the Scitech Display Doctor and/or the UNIVBE.

Some references here:

http://reboot.pro/3572/

http://reboot.pro/2325/

I suspect that a lot of tries need to be made within the .cfg .... :ph34r:

BTW it seems like virtualbox also supports VESA drivers, in case you may want to try the portable version:

http://www.vbox.me/

jaclaz