CPU not supported

clonesauce

Hi guys,

My pc has been running fine til a hiccup came. A sudden power shortage occurred last week while I was on the PC. When I boot up, it would tell me that my CPU is not supported(this wasn't the case before the power shortage) and to check the QVL. However I am still able to boot past that by press F1. I'm using an ASUS M5A78L-M-LE and a Phenom X6 1055T. Since then I have been experiencing a stuttering frame rate while playing games, and occasionally stuttering in videos. I have tried upgrading/downgrading my drivers but it doesn't seem to fix this stutter.

I have tried to update my BIOS but I still get the CPU not supported message, and upon checking the supported CPUs list for my mobo, it lists my CPU as supported. Tried resetting CMOS, still nada.

Thanks a lot.

This asus should have an option to stop on no error in the bios (and then whatever the error maybe it will try to boot). This is only a way to avoid the F1 prompt it won't resolve the root cause.

Did you tried to unplug all cables (power/keyboard/mouse, everything...) connected to your computer then remove the bios battery then push on power buton a few seconds and then reconnect every cable and power it then go to bios and "load setup default settings" if the option exist ?

Also, i don't see the 1055T in CPUs support list from asus.

Edited by allen2

Also, i don't see the 1055T in CPUs support list from asus.

Yes, that's true.

I wonder:

a 1045T and a 1065T is listed, both are rated 95W

A 1055T is marked at 125W Thermal Design Power.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-model-number-comparison.aspx

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LE/#specifications

Supports CPU up to 95 W

The M5A78LM_LE dosn't provide 125W and seems to be broken now?

@clonesauce

Which CPU cooler and PSU do you use?

Thanks for the replies.

I have the 95w version of the 1055T, and this cpu has been added support through an update that ASUS posted. I think they haven't updated the support list but here's the link to the update with the description.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=M5A78L-M%20LE&cpu=Phenom%20IIX6%201055T(HDT55TWFK6DGR),2.8GHz,95W,rev.E0,SocketAM3,6-Core&pcb=ALL&sincebios=0209&memo=

I have tried removing the battery and unplugging all the cables, as well as loading setup defaults but I still get that error.

I'm using the stock cooling fan, and using a thermaltake 500W CPU.

I have been using this build for about 2 years now, and this problem suddenly pops up.

Thanks again.

Something was definitely damaged on that power shortage. If the machine was directly connected to the wall power outlet, and if the power shortage was really brief, when the energy returned there can have occurred a very brief power spike, intense enough to cause problems even if the atx power supply had already powered off. If you at all can do it, test the motherboard with another processor and the processor with another motherboard. If both prove to be OK, then test the mobo/processor together with another power supply. I bet you'll find out one of them is not 100% OK anymore. I'm sorry!

@bphlpt

I'm not entirely sure but I suppose it was heavy rain which caused some problems for the power lines locally, I was asleep when it happened. When I booted up my PC I noticed that it said 'surge protection' was enabled so that's what I figured happened.

@dencorso

Makes sense, tough luck. The only one I can try would be to test it with another PSU. I'll post back about the results.

Thanks a lot for the replies.