HFSLIP-2-Go

Mim0

Sometimes I thought about the idea to offer a HFSLIP-package for others - ready to go. All updates, all other files, but without the original Windows files of cause.

Because when somebody (like me) is making a current Windows CD, all files are already on the harddisk - just ZIP it and upload it.

And If I read that MS has removed download-pages (I just got a PM with another broken MS-link), a HFSLIP ready-2-go makes just more sense.

My idea is to offer a Windows XP-package with all updates in ENU and DEU (that's what I have :) ).

Probably users here could also offer packages for other Windows-versions or XP in other laguages.

But I have no idea if MS could see problems when MS-updates are downloadable from other sources. I know that there are update-packages for XP available (not from MS!!) which contain also all MS updates, so it should not be a problem in general.

Or is it just stupid nonsense? Any idea appreciated!

Mimo

I think it's a great idea, but I don't think it will be allowed on this forum. Check with tomasz86 about his experiences. In fact he might also have some suggestions where such a update pack can be hosted and discussed openly.

Cheers and Regards

@Mim0

Are you thinking only about the English package or also about packages for other languages? I think that I would be able to provide Windows 2000 packages (for all languages but only ENU on start) and also a Korean package for Windows XP (because I've got a license for XP Pro KOR).

Hi tomasz,

I'm thinking of Win 2k/xo/2k3 in several langauges. My idea was that we (the users here) could offer these packages. But when it's a problem to provide the download-links here, how to offer these links? Of course, someone could host these links, but it's not as easy as publish a link to a new package here...

How about having a list of links on your website? People would just go there and download them. As for other people offering packages, maybe creating a new e-mail account, ex. hfslip2go@gmail.com or similar would be useful? Those who have created a package could just send you the URLs by e-mail :)

I'd also host a list of Win2k links on my website and link to your site in case of the XP packages.

Yes of course, that would be an idea. But if you would host the links to W2K packages I would like to have them for XP and we both have links to our sites.

And I think it's time to have a "list of usefull links" to your site and bristols site :)

CU...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mim0,

How is it going? :hello:

My HFSLIP-2-Go package for Win2k is almost ready. Have you got any detailed plan about how to make the packages available? Are you going to have a separate page/section/table on your website?

I prepared 4 packages:

Windows XP DEU for SOURCE without SP3

Windows XP DEU for SOURCE with SP3 already included (to reduce the download-size)

Windows XP ENU for SOURCE without SP3

Windows XP ENU for SOURCE with SP3 already included (to reduce the download-size)

All downloads of my update-list are included! (even these updates which I don't use)

I want to make a separate page because I want to write some words about these downloads, e.g. which updates I don't use.

But It's not ready yet... :( Im working on it...

Edited by Mim0

don't know about XP, but for 2000, my vote is for a TZSLIP2GO

I tried to unravel the HFSLIP source code once back when my brain was missing only a cylinder or two

HFSLIP had to be written before the days of rollups by tomasz86, wildbills, bristols, etc

We all benefitted!!

But, it had to be written for the general case of all possibilities, for all persons, for all situations, etc.

it seemed an impossible task, so it ended up in x-levels deep of FORs, SORTs, IFs, pipes, and ...

But that predicate, of scripting for unknown numbers of future unknowns is no longer the case

instead of 400 files with unknown names, we now have the case of updateRollup v1 or v2

all with known names and switches

I'm not a programmer so I should probably just keep my stupid mouth shut, but

Let a future TZSLIP2GO be divided into two parts

a core part -- TZSLIP2GO_partA_corefiles_v1.exe

and an options part TZSLIP2GO_partB_optionfiles_v1.exe

TZSLIP2GO_partA_corefiles_v1.exe

asks user to point to a place to setup TZSLIP root dir

use new name for root dir to prevent accidental use by HF

... I suggest TZSLIP, no disrespect to others

Then build the dir-file structure using current HFSLIP rules and habits,

then, load TZSLIP root dir with core files all of known fixitude,

basically tomasz86's current root dir for HF

but with daily rollups, patches, etc moved to partB

examples, w2ksp51, directX, media9, mdac, ...

Henry Ford used to say ...You can have any color car you want, as long as it's black

TZSLIP2GO_partB_optionfiles_v1.zip

asks user to point to the TZSLIP root dir

then builds dir-file structure for a new batch file

adding rollups, options, .net frameworks, etc.

TZSLIP2GG.cmd is a new batch written from scratch

no disrespect to the HF gods, but the future is not so unknown anymore

part A core files probably has 80 - 100 files

all are known by now

HF has to assume for every case, with unknowns adinfinitum

part B probably has 80-100 of rollups and option files

each of them is also known, with known switches

Abandon HFSLIP which has evolved into a hairball, now at version J

the new batch doesn't need not be written for every possible circumstance

rollups are actually written to solve the HFSLIP hariball problem

a new simple script would be maybe 300 lines

they could be linear and stupid with no sequencing problems

as new rollups are added, maybe one or two lines in the script need to change

each script included in a partB would already know exactly what's in itself, and in partA

and it would know the right sequences, and integrate switches

A TZSIP2GO would take the frustration out of 2k testing for noobs like me

and that would allow broad testing of rollups working towards SP52

as Henry Ford used to say ...You can have any color car you want, as long as it's black

Edited by Molecule