New MBO

Rjecina

ASRock is again starting production of ASRock 775i65G R3.0 for which is possible to download official Windows 98 chipset drivers.
There is a red "NEW" marking for this motherboard at http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp

But Frys doesn't list it, and Newegg.com lists it as "Out of stock" http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=ASRock+775i65G&x=0&y=0

On the last capture by the web archive on 18-Jul-2011 http://web.archive.org/web/20110718022752/http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp this motherboard is not listed, so this Win98-compatible motherboard seems to have been added since then, i.e. it may indeed be a new addition to the products offered by ASRock.

I do not understand why they building new socket 775 AGP, DDR I MBO, but Windows 98 community will be happy
Newegg and Amazon don't seem to offer this motherboard as a new product even if they are listed among the dealers of ASRock http://www.asrock.com/general/buy.asp?cat=American. I would speculate that some government agencies in non-Western countries are purchasing these Win98 motherboards, to be less vulnerable to Western malware attacks. If this is true, one could speculate further that eventually new malware for the Win9x platform will be developed by Western agencies. Edited by Multibooter

Wow, very interesting development.

For someone wanting to dabble with Win9x it is a godsend (new board with fresh capacitors, etc) and you could easily multi boot later OS's that recognize multi-core CPU's.

Luckily the excellent i5 and i7 CPU's have gotten many people to buy entirely new systems so consequently there are some really great deals for used 775 Core2 chips to use in this board. No quad support though that I could see.

I would speculate that some government agencies in non-Western countries are purchasing these Win98 motherboards, to be less vulnerable to Western malware attacks. If this is true, one could speculate further that eventually new malware for the Win9x platform will be developed by Western agencies.

Uhm, why shouldn't they just use a state-of-the-art motherboard, running a much less vulnerable OS, like OpenBSD, from which they can easily check if evil Western imperialists didn't put any backdoors in it, and for which currently is no malware around at all?

Uhm, why shouldn't they just use a state-of-the-art motherboard, running a much less vulnerable OS, like OpenBSD, from which they can easily check if evil Western imperialists didn't put any backdoors in it, and for which currently is no malware around at all?
I was just looking for an explanation for why a company would possibly re-start the production of an old motherboard, not make it available at major dealers in North America, but still advertise it as "NEW" at their website. Maybe it was just an erroneous posting at their website. Any other ideas?

Maybe a less vulnerable OS, like OpenBDS, does not fulfil certain requirements. In the case of IraX, for example, the right-to-left writing system may be a difficulty, also the wide-spread use of Windows software. A change from one OS family to another would pose a major challenge to any organization, so a change for certain departments only could be imaginable. Such a response could be imagined after the StuYnet attack. The recent Shamoon virus supposedly also works under Win9x http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/331033 One could also imagine demand by Western government agencies for Win9x motherboards for developing Win9x-compatible malware.

This is really strange to see Asrock offering this board.

===========

775i65G

User Manual

Version 3.0

Published June 2012

Copyright©2012 ASRock INC. All rights reserved.

===========

Intel 865/ICHR-5 chipset -> with socket 775 support ? And they list win-98/me/2k/XP as supported OS's ??? With XP to go EOL in a year?

Asrock should have put at least one ISA slot on this board - it would have increased it's applicability into the industrial market segment where old OS's are running old software to control things using ISA cards.

Asrock has (or had) a few boards with Via chipset and socket 775 that had pretty good win-98 driver support (one board had both AGP and PCIe slots).

All in all it looks like a great Win9x board. i865g is a very stable chipset and the integrated graphics are adequate for anything except games.

Buying new DDR-1 memory these days is a little expensive in my experience but even that is still possible but at double or triple the DDR-2 and DDR-3 prices.

From the Specifications ...

CPU ... LGA 775 for Intel® ...

- Dual-Core

- Core™ 2 Extreme

- Core™ 2 Duo

- Pentium® D

- Pentium® 4

- Celeron® D

Those two bolded CPU's are probably of most interest to someone only planning to using Win9x. Both of them shipped with up to 3.8 GHz stock. The Extreme Editions got around 3.7 GHz if I remember correctly, but those are still expensive even buying used on eBay.

Unique Feature ...

- ASRock APP Charger

- Hybrid Booster:

- CPU Frequency Stepless Control

- ASRock U-COP

- Boot Failure Guard (B.F.G.)

With some very mild overclocking one can easily get 4 GHz out of one of those CPU's. This could be the choice speed demon board for Win9x. :thumbup

Hiya, I'm new on here an just joined too.

I can't wait for this board to go on-sale! It's an absolute 'godsend' for me, I own an ATI Radeon 3850 AGP Gfx card (one of the most powerful AGP cards ever released) and I've just got my hands on a Intel Q6600 - G0 CPU! This board is exactly what I would require as I'm currently using a S939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on a ASUS A8V Deluxe M.B. with 2x Corsair 1Gb Ram running in Dual Channel mode. The reason is for switching from AMD to Intel is because I use music software and games too, I've just gone out and bought some new software and ran on the AMD system - it started wheezing like mad! So, after a week of research, and me being skint at the mo, I've decided to go for the Asrock 775i65 - but it has to be the Rev 3 board as its the only one that'll take my Gfx Card, RAM and support the 1066Mhz Q6600 Cpu... :thumbup

Hiya, I'm new on here an just joined too. I can't wait for this board to go on-sale! It's an absolute 'godsend' for me, I own an ATI Radeon 3850 AGP Gfx card (one of the most powerful AGP cards ever released) and I've just got my hands on a Intel Q6600 - G0 CPU! This board is exactly what I would require ...

Unfortunately the published specifications (see my previous post) do not list any normal Core2 Quads in the compatibility. However for some reason it does list Core2 Extreme which I believe most were quads (and they were all heaters that could warm your house too so it can't be TDW limits). It does seem odd but maybe it has to do with the i865 Northbridge? I don't know.

I glanced at the comments on the NewEgg page and didn't see any obvious mention about regular Core2 Quads.

Ahhhhhhhh!!! :yes: Well now, y'see actually it DOES! This is a common problem that comes up quite regularly, thanks to iNTEL and there CPU ID system - which is stupid IMHO! :lol:

The thing is 'CORE 2 CPUS' come in both Dual and Quad core flavours but they're labeled as 'CORE 2' - which confuses the hell out of people! Still as you stated - and you're absolutely right btw - the board will take Extreme Edition CPU's which are the same as standard quad core CPU's except on the 'E.E' CPU's the multiplier is unlocked for overclocking (why?). Bottom line is, as long as the CPU is an 'LGA775' type with 1066 HTT - the board will take it, in my reckoning! Check out these links - it's what cleared it all for me. :yes::thumbup

Hiya, I'm new on here an just joined too.

I can't wait for this board to go on-sale! It's an absolute 'godsend' for me, I own an ATI Radeon 3850 AGP Gfx card (one of the most powerful AGP cards ever released) and I've just got my hands on a Intel Q6600 - G0 CPU! This board is exactly what I would require as I'm currently using a S939 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on a ASUS A8V Deluxe M.B. with 2x Corsair 1Gb Ram running in Dual Channel mode. The reason is for switching from AMD to Intel is because I use music software and games too, I've just gone out and bought some new software and ran on the AMD system - it started wheezing like mad! So, after a week of research, and me being skint at the mo, I've decided to go for the Asrock 775i65 - but it has to be the Rev 3 board as its the only one that'll take my Gfx Card, RAM and support the 1066Mhz Q6600 Cpu... :thumbup

If there is no problem with GPU you need to make decision what is better for you:

775i65G with 2 GB and Core 2 Quad Q6700(G0) Kentsfield 2.66GHz/ Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe XE 2.93GHz/Pentium D 960(D0) Presler 3.60GHz

or

AM2NF3-VSTA with 16 GB (DDR II) and AM2+ Phenom II X4 HDZ940XCJ4DGI(BE) Deneb 3000MHz/ AM3 Phenom II X4 HDZ970FBK4DGM(BE) Deneb 3500MHz

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, sorry not I've not been on for a while - I've been working and went away with the love of me life :wub: for a few days, like you do... which was nice! :D Aye so great news! While I was away, I took my laptop

and did some research. I discovered that the CPU I've picked up is actually a 'Q6600 Kentsfield - SLACR (G0) CPU'! Now there's two versions of the 2.40Ghz Kentsfield - the B3 version and the later G0 version. The difference is that the G0 version has all the 'bugs' ironed out and runs at a lower voltage of 95TDP as opposed to the B3's 105TDP - these are the only differences.;) All this equates to the facts that the CPU I've got, runs cooler (It'll overclock from 2.40Ghz to 3Ghz on stock cooling with stock voltages and run 100% stable 24/7) - has all the bug fixes built in as opposed to if I had the B3 then I would have to download some software workarounds and the best bit, it only cost me £30!!!!! :thumbup

I've also found out that the ASRock ConRoe865PE is 'Kentsfield Certified' (I've spoke to 3 people that all own the 865PE/Q6600G0 combination and they all say the same thing, amazingly quick setup that's rock solid and is reliable as a day is long!) - so the RAM limitation of only 2Gb on the ASRock 775i65's is irrelevant because the ConRoe865PE take 4Gb+ and is AGP native - AND I just got one for £35!!!!! :yes: Picked up 2 Kingston DDR400 1Gb sticks for £20!!:angel IM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!:w00t: I hope you're all doing ok, I'm loving it right now!

Check out these links!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2303

http://www.asrock.co...del=ConRoe865PE