No standby on Windows XP

HarryTri

I have Windows XP SP3 fully updated on my laptop and some time ago I lost the standby option. I reflashed the BIOS and reinstalled the drivers of the graphics' card to no avail. I suspect that some program that I updated had caused the problem.

There are some programs in particular that I haven't installed on my internet isolated desktop, which doesn't have this problem: AVG, Free Download Manager, PC Wizard, FormatFactory. I also have Adobe Flash Player 11, Java 7 and Microsoft .NET Framework 1 and 4 with their updates. Does anyone ever had a similar problem with any of these programs or with any Microsoft updates?

Are you referring to "Control Panel->Power Options->Advanced"? That's where the setting are, and depends on (AFAIK) the BIOS Settings. Other settings are in the "Power Options" as well.

AFAIK, no "program" installation will cause the "problem" you indicate. The Drivers you mention also have nothing to do with it. It's all in the OS and the BIOS. Suggest you look into those items.

From my personal investigation so far in various web sites the problem can have to do with some drivers and especially the ones of the graphics' card, that's why I reinstalled them. I have also reflashed the BIOS and executed a system file check (sfc /scannow) with the Windows installation CD. If it isn't the BIOS and the OS then it must be a program that messes the things up, I have bad experience in this.Or perhaps a Microsoft update (not too possible I think)? The problem is that, even if I find which program it is, just uninstalling it may not be enough to restore things to normal but it would be good to know where to start from.

@ponch

I don't have the standby option available nor in the control panel neither in the shutdown screen. In fact even the keyboard button combination for standby doesn't work unless Windows haven't been loaded yet.

The funny thing is that I can put my laptop to standby before Windows are loaded but then they never load...