Deleted

Original topic:

Documentation points out that this is supposed to be used in conjunction with the PID.txt.... so you say that if you just use the EI.cfg and not a PID.txt, it will install normally? I wonder where it gets the product key from then?

More info on Technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx

It would seem that microsoft is applying the pid to the image, ala DISM command. I noticed it on W2012 server when it didn't prompt for one, guess I will have to test this out on my 8x86.

Edited by MrJinje

Core=FB4WR-32NVD-4RW79-XQFWH-CYQG3

Core huh... I've seen that before but didn't bother with it. Is "Core" and internal name for the non-suffixed Windows 8 release? I wonder why they didn't put a suffix on the "Home Premium" type version, and why they use the "Core" term which is used differently in their Server line... :unsure:

How long do you get between rearms if you use this method, and how many rearms does it give you?

The re-arm setting is deprecated. I can't find it on TechNet yet, but the ADK says that it was removed from Windows 8, yet to use a different one... which only mentions Vista and Windows 7.

Sooooo I actually don't know whether or not you can use it in Windows 8 or not. :unsure:

How long do you get between rearms if you use this method, and how many rearms does it give you?

The re-arm setting is deprecated. I can't find it on TechNet yet, but the ADK says that it was removed from Windows 8, yet to use a different one... which only mentions Vista and Windows 7.

Sooooo I actually don't know whether or not you can use it in Windows 8 or not. :unsure:

I see, so once your 30 days runs out you lose functionality, like you used to?

I see, so once your 30 days runs out you lose functionality, like you used to?

For testing sake, I set my install ahead a couple years. The only thing I get is a reminder every few hours to activate. Then again, I'm still in audit mode so I don't know if it gets more aggressive in non-setup mode. :unsure:

It doesn't work. When I installed Windows it still asked for a product key. Is it because I ran the setup directly on the hard disk? I had to type in the key on post 3 so that I could install W8 RTM.

Ace1,

I've just checked. It's a .cfg file but the content is different! It says:

[Channel]

Retail

I misunderstood post 1 and replaced _Default with Retail in the command! What a silly mistake! I just fixed it but it doesn't make any sense now because I've already installed W8 RTM with the pro key on post 3. I am using W8 RP now. Sorry for saying it doesn't work!