Driver problems when applying wim?

Hi Guys!

Sorry for yet again a wim thread...just not sure what the problem could be...

I created a Windows sysprep version of Windows 7 Home Premium on a Sata drive and I thought.....I know...what thought did... :wacko: anyway I thought sysprep prepares for almost any software...?

I saved the sysprep wim and transfered it a ssd drive....no problems I thought...when I tried to apply it it came up error opening the wim file?

When I created the wim there was no problem and saving it doesn't usually cause any problems, so I don't know what it could be....

I did think that maybe the signature of the ssd is causing the problem...

I have since applie the wim to the same sata drive and it went OK, so maybe it is a driver related issue...just wondering if I can inject the right driver into the wim to solve the problem?

Sorry, just gets annoying when you think you have done things right and it doesn't work anyway....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bookie32

Hi iamtheky :hello:

I have just created a standard partition...assigned letter C and formated it to NTFS. Yes, I am running the winpe environment and using imagex to apply the wim....done this so many times with out problem...

I am not getting any real error code just unable to open the wim....

Sorry, can't be of more help....

bookie32

Have you added the SSD driver to the WinPE? As well as the install wim? mounting those and doing a line similar to:

Dism /Image:mount /Add-Driver /Driver:DP_LAN_wnt6-x86_1001\x86\L /Recurse

...substituting the location of the disk driver for "DP_LAN_wnt6-x86_1001\x86\L" , naturally

Edited by iamtheky

Hi iamtheky

No, that is why I am saying it might be a driver problem...

winpe doesn't have any problem creating and formating a partition and copying the image to the drive...it is just the applying that is falling down....so maybe a ssd driver needs adding to the wim?

bookie32

that is hella odd if WinPE can format and copy, but not unpack. and it is failing as soon as you kick off the /apply? can 7zip unpack the wim once staged, its not a path or access issue, or bad copy from media? We have seen issues with disks, but they are not revealed until the restart and windows is actually trying to start. Since everything else is just an unpack.

Hi iamtheky

That is what is so strange.....just wouldn't unpack it from the word go....

Yet, as said I applied it on the original drive no probs...

Bit weird to say the least...

bookie32

can you put an imagex /info in between your copy and apply? that might help determine if its an issue with actually accessing the wim (and if its contents are all present) or if its an issue with just applying the payload.

Hi iamtheky :blushing:

Look I am really sorry......I appreciate your help and I will make a note of checking the /info tag next time I have a problem...

I was under pressure to return the computer to the customer, so I reinstalled the ssd and created a new wim for it....

Not the best answer (time wise), but necessary this time....

Thanks again for your time and contribution..

I will be doing the same install on one of my own computers soon and will see what transpires...so I will leave this thread open...

Much appreciated.....

bookie32

Hi iamtheky :lol:

I hear you and also a good reason to keep this thread open ......

I have a business to run and work on stuff when I have a mo, that is why I sort of let you down right in the middle of trying to help me.....

Job comes first and my stuff second.....but that said I realise the importance of what you are saying and if we have a problem - then I will continue this thread when I have had time to test on my own ssd...later!

Thanks again!

Love this forum...... B)

bookie32

Hi again :D

Juat something I have just been trying to catch up on....among other things...

My winPE is based on the 3.0 version and I have just been trying to digest some of the updates in the 3.1 supplement version reading here

There is always something new that one misses....especially old farts like me.... :ph34r:

bookie32