How to disable Metro UI?

animeware

The latest version of "Classic Shell" does not actually disable the Win-8 UI, but it politely bypasses it and allows a boot to go right to the desktop, which then can be customized to look pretty much like you want it.

My own desktop, under the Classic Shell, looks just like my windows XP desktop.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I highly recommend it!

Andromeda43 B)

I was wondering how do I disable the Metro UI completely I use WinToolKit latest Version I do not know how to delete the metro UI?

Does anyone know thank you?

this is not possible.

You must use the Win7 Explorer:

Actually it is possible, however there are some essential Windows control interfaces, like recovery options that are Metro only that you'll loose access to... To boot directly to the Desktop use a little app called Skip Metro Suite for Windows 8 to do the obvious thing... You can also use Classic Shell and a few other apps but they don't skip Metro they still load it and switch to the Desktop or disable the hot corners (yet, but Classic Shell will soon).

Then to avoid any inadvertent interference from Metro (for reasons like these), the Author of Skip Metro Suite posts these registry tweaks to disable the Metro panels...

:)

Edited by hoak

• 4 weeks later...

Actually it is possible, however there are some essential Windows control interfaces, like recovery options that are Metro only that you'll loose access to... To boot directly to the Desktop use a little app called Skip Metro Suite for Windows 8 to do the obvious thing... You can also use Classic Shell and a few other apps but they don't skip Metro they still load it and switch to the Desktop or disable the hot corners (yet, but Classic Shell will soon).

My version of bypassing Metro UI after logon doesn't require any tool or programm and does it in a nativ way. - You won't see Metro at all while login. - Also not the 1-2 sec. right after the login.

You can skip to 2:45.

Edited by KNARZ

My version of bypassing Metro UI after logon doesn't require any tool or programm and does it in a nativ way. - You won't see Metro at all while login. - Also not the 1-2 sec. right after the login.

Unlike Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 won't install Desktop Experience by default, that might be the cause Windows Server 2012 directly boot into desktop. May we should uninstall Desktop Experience from Windows 8 if possible?

I guess you port the Windows Server 2012 startup thingy to Windows 8?

Anyway I'm looking forward to your script or tutorial for disable Windows 8 start screen after logon.

• 3 weeks later...

Right. Not yet... It will be ported to an exe for better Errorhandling.

I guess a release will be available this or next week. - I will keep the neowin post and youtube description up to date.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very nice, but still modifies system things as i see. I'll make free tool which skips metro w/o system modifying after finishing StartIsBack. :rolleyes:

you can contact me if you want.. - it seems you have also a very nice approch as i tested you startisback tool. ;)

looks like mine.. - contact details on the website. would be nice to hear from you. - i also will provide details of my methode to you if you want/need.

I'm actually not really patching or modifing any system files.

I'm actually not really patching or modifing any system files.

I guess you're changing registry with license capatibilities key. That's only approach which does not require any files to implant into system, so it's very cool! In StartIsBack i planned to hook license functions too, but found how to work Metro around without this.