WiFi adapter & tv antenna

Your antenna is either a VHF or UHF (or a combo) antenna (there is no such thing as an "HDTV" antenna). It is tuned for a few hundred MHz, not 2.4 GHz. The cable also has the wrong impedance for wifi. If it is powered (has an amplifier), it cannot transmit, only receive.

I really should just say :no:, but if you're not afraid of frying the wifi adapter (or the antenna if it does have a built-in amplifier) please try it and report your findings! For a variety of reasons, however, you are more likely to have better success with a long wire.

For a directional antenna, a "cantenna" is a better place to start than trying to adapt a tv antenna. After much research and experimentation several years ago, I settled on using a seven inch A/B stick antenna inside an aluminum pie tin reflector crudely bent into a pseudo-parabolic shape.

My recommendation is to use the biggest wifi antenna you already have along with a metal reflector of some kind.

there is no such thing as an "HDTV" antenna

This is incorrect. You can buy an over-air HD tuner that definately has an antenna but they usally aren't very good. When I used to have one, I built my own antenna using a speaker, a VHF TV antenna, an Atari VCS RFU switch and a metal coat hanger. It didn't look very good, but the picture quality was awesome. :thumbup