Win XP past Apr 2014... (was: Will XP be supported until 2019?)

steveothehighlander

Windows server 2003 is supported until July 2015. Wouldn’t be possible to install those updates on XP with minimal modifications?

actually you could do following, but isn't quite legal yet also not illegal either

find yourself Longhorn (Vista) reset build, the client version 5.2.3790.1232

this is XP since it is client version of Server 2003 SP1 RC

its EULA makes it illegal, but its out of ANY support makes it legal

-

by logic it should accept any Server 2003 SP and hotfixes since its kernel is 5.2 (remember this one is 32bit) and is still XP

so stiff Servers '03 SP2 init and all hotfixes (or try slipstream) and there you go

Can anyone else confirm this? Would it be updated continuously along with Server 2003?

• 3 weeks later...

Bump! Can we do that?

Also I wondered if anyone out there still running Windows 2000 Professional in 2014 can chime in on a related topic. You folks have been running an unsupported OS for nearly four years, and it's VERY SIMILAR to Windows XP Professional (sans Visual Styles, Firewall, WLAN Support, and Clear Type Font Smoothing). Since Windows 2000 is so similar, perhaps we can get a glimpse into the future and see how they fare running Windows 2000 unsupported. That may tell us what to expect by choosing to run XP unsupported without updates. Have the 2000 bunch ran into security issues running 2000 as a primary OS?

This is important because before now, most people running an unsupported Windows OS were running some 9x flavour. Windows NT 3x and 4x never amassed mainstream use and lack too many now needed features like USB. So this will really be the first time that MOST people running unsupported Windows OS, will be running an NT based build.

From all the 2K threads I have read over the years, I really cannot recall a single security related issue caused due to running an "unsupported" OS. Issues have manly been due to:

1) trying to run an older OS on newer hardware and trying to find drivers that work, or

2) trying to run newer software on the older OS, or

3) being restricted to older browsers which do not support newer features so accessing things like Flash or YouTube no longer work.

So if you can stay with your existing hardware, and the software you are currently using meets your needs, then you only need to "worry" about the last issue which should be stable for at least a pretty good while. After all, 2K users can still get by. :)

Jody, you have brought up the potential possibility of security issues on an "unsupported" OS several times, and as far as I can remember, every time the responses have tried to reassure you that will not be an issue. It appears that there is nothing that anyone can say to give you the "guarantee" that you appear to be seeking, so why do you keep bringing this up? What do you want us to say?

Security issues are very real, and I'm not trying to minimize them in any way, but you seem to believe that the OS you use is the key to your security solution, while I believe that the security of the OS is only one of the minor reasons to choose the OS you decide to use.

Cheers and Regards my friend

@ Microsoft will produce Windows XP updates for much longer than April 2014. The last official updates for Windows 2000 were released last year, 3 years after EOL, and were distributed inside the monthly security ISO update packages. Apart from that, a few more non-public official updates were leaked.

In case of Windows XP I'd expect at least regular official updates until July 2015 (when Windows 2003 is becoming EOL). After April you should definitely check the monthly ISOs available under this link:

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the Microsoft Download Center

Just keep in mind that Microsoft will not mention the existence of those updates in their official news channels. As in case of Windows 2000, the updates can be found inside those ISO packages even though Windows 2000's name itself isn't listed there at all.

More than that, due to the fact that Windows XP is much more popular than Windows 2000, I'm 99% sure that a lot of non-public updates will be leaked as well.

From all the 2K threads I have read over the years, I really cannot recall a single security related issue caused due to running an "unsupported" OS. Issues have manly been due to:

1) trying to run an older OS on newer hardware and trying to find drivers that work, or

2) trying to run newer software on the older OS, or

3) being restricted to older browsers which do not support newer features so accessing things like Flash or YouTube no longer work.

So if you can stay with your existing hardware, and the software you are currently using meets your needs, then you only need to "worry" about the last issue which should be stable for at least a pretty good while. After all, 2K users can still get by. :)

Jody, you have brought up the potential possibility of security issues on an "unsupported" OS several times, and as far as I can remember, every time the responses have tried to reassure you that will not be an issue. It appears that there is nothing that anyone can say to give you the "guarantee" that you appear to be seeking, so why do you keep bringing this up? What do you want us to say?

Security issues are very real, and I'm not trying to minimize them in any way, but you seem to believe that the OS you use is the key to your security solution, while I believe that the security of the OS is only one of the minor reasons to choose the OS you decide to use.

Cheers and Regards my friend

I appreciate your views (however it seems you appear to think of Microsoft warnings as instilling fear, while I guess I take them more legitimately). In fairness, you actually cannot "guarantee" that everything will be fine in an unsupported environment, it's just (as you stated) your opinion. And while I don't agree that the OS is key to a security solution, I do think it plays a substantial role.

I never got the impression either that I'm the only one here who has concerns or even an interest in running unsupported OSs. I have plenty that agree with me about the view of security through obscurity (as in I don't agree with that premise), so I will be very interested in this topic for some time to come. By the way, how many reponses do you see in this thread? They're not all mine, so I am certainly not alone in my concerns.

Besides, I've already moved to Vista. But it doesn't mean I cannot maintain an interest from the "other side of the fence" so to speak. I do wonder how XP users will fare in a few months (despite your opinion, which I do respect by the way), and I thought Win2K users might be able to shed a light on it from their experiences. Again just interested. :)

Cheers my firend!

Jody

@ Microsoft will produce Windows XP updates for much longer than April 2014. The last official updates for Windows 2000 were released last year, 3 years after EOL, and were distributed inside the monthly security ISO update packages. Apart from that, a few more non-public official updates were leaked.

In case of Windows XP I'd expect at least regular official updates until July 2015 (when Windows 2003 is becoming EOL). After April you should definitely check the monthly ISOs available under this link:

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the Microsoft Download Center

Just keep in mind that Microsoft will not mention the existence of those updates in their official news channels. As in case of Windows 2000, the updates can be found inside those ISO packages even though Windows 2000's name itself isn't listed there at all.

More than that, due to the fact that Windows XP is much more popular than Windows 2000, I'm 99% sure that a lot of non-public updates will be leaked as well.

So I checked out the links you gave me, and I even went back through the archives (I have visited there before). How in heck :) do you validate that there are any Windows 2000 updates there without it being specified on the site? It only appears to be supported Windows versions listed. How do you find your Windows 2000 updates then?

So I checked out the links you gave me, and I even went back through the archives (I have visited there before). How in heck :) do you validate that there are any Windows 2000 updates there without it being specified on the site? It only appears to be supported Windows versions listed. How do you find your Windows 2000 updates then?

Well, it's pretty simple. You just need to download every single ISO and check whether there are Windows 2000 updates included. In many cases they're are there despite not being listed in the description.

What Jody seems to be failing to realize is that the names of the executables are unmistakable: any Win 2k update has a name like, say, "Windows2000-KB892130-x86-ENU.exe"...

No that's precisely what I didn't see. That's exactly what I looking for. I extracted a few ISOs and most of them were for Server 2008, Windows 7 and a couple XP if I remember. None the matter, I just wondered how you were recognizing Win2KPro updates if they weren't labelled as such.

The last official updates for Windows 2000 were released last year, 3 years after EOL, and were distributed inside the monthly security ISO update packages. Apart from that, a few more non-public official updates were leaked.

I've downloaded 6 different months from the archive discussed above (starting with August 2010 and into 2011) and there are no Windows 2000 updates to be found at all. Each archive contains levels of folders with updates sorted by OS and language. There are folders for all the post W2K OS updates ( Vista, Win 7, 8, Server 2003 and 2008) but not a single folder in any archive for 2K updates, Not a single individual 2K update I can find anywhere in the August 2010 and year 2011 archives I have extracted.

Tomasz86, you said that MS produced W2K updates for 3 years after EOL for 2K (which was July 2010. Then there should have been MS privately issued updates for 2K until June 2013-I realize not every individual month will have updates.). I cannot find any of them in the half dozen archives I have checked.

(I can clearly remember, there were no updates issued in July 2010 for 2K but quite a few were issued in August 2010 for XP. I would think at least some of those would have applied to 2K but only available privately to those corporations who paid for the continuing post-EOL support.)

The last official updates for Windows 2000 were released last year, 3 years after EOL, and were distributed inside the monthly security ISO update packages. Apart from that, a few more non-public official updates were leaked.

I've downloaded 6 different months from the archive discussed above (starting with August 2010 and into 2011) and there are no Windows 2000 updates to be found at all. [...]

With all due respect to you, the xt guy, I do fail to see your point... please follow me:

Did you download every single .ISO corresponding to the 12 months of 2013 (the year mentioned by tomasz86) and check inside it? No.

You downloaded instead just some .ISOs from 2010-2011 and hit jackpot 6 times (as in there *wasn't* any Win 2k update in any of them).

Does that disprove in any way what tomasz86 said? No.

Did tomasz86 say the Win 2k updates, if and when present, were non-public? No.

Are security updates non-public updates? No.

All tomasz86 said was that some non-public Win 2k updates were leaked in episodes not necessarily ( -- in fact: not at all --) related to the security update .ISOs.

And, last but not least, tomasz86 said was that "the last official updates for Win 2k were released last year, 3 years after EOL", but he did *not* say nor imply MS released continuously official updates for Win 2k galore, up to 3 years after EOL.

@the xt guy You don't need to manually check all the ISOs. Just go to my website and have a look at the HFSLIP Updates List. You will find the official updates released after EOL by searching for "post-EOL" and "-custom-" (at least those released specifically for Windows 2000 since there exist also many others such as the new updates for MSXML that apply both to 2000, XP and 2003).

Edited by tomasz86

@the xt guy You don't need to manually check all the ISOs. Just go to my website and have a look at the HFSLIP Updates List. You will find the official updates released after EOL by searching for "post-EOL" and "-custom-" (at least those released specifically for Windows 2000 since there exist also many others such as the new updates for MSXML that apply both to 2000, XP and 2003).

I actually found the last ones but they were just for IE6 SP1 (I think it was Novemeber 2012). So they're there. This isn't something Microsoft should keep close to it's chest though. This should be something that's well known.

Additionally, there should have been way more updates if this were a comprhensive set of hotfixes. Being that XP and 2KPro share a wealth of similarities, you'd figure that the same vulnerabilities would need patching.

A couple of posts ago, I was told that I seemed unable to be reassured that running an unsupported OS would be safe. One thought that occurred to me since that time tomasz86. Do you still perform online banking and other secure stuff online with Windows 2000?

Did tomasz86 say the Win 2k updates, if and when present, were non-public? No.

Are security updates non-public updates? No.

All tomasz86 said was that some non-public Win 2k updates were leaked in episodes not necessarily ( -- in fact: not at all --) related to the security update .ISOs.

And, last but not least, tomasz86 said was that "the last official updates for Win 2k were released last year, 3 years after EOL", but he did *not* say nor imply MS released continuously official updates for Win 2k galore, up to 3 years after EOL.

With all due respect to tomasz86, but sorry dencorso; tomasz86 does kind of make it sound as if 2KPro updates are easier to find than we would have let on. The way he says it, or implies it, I would have thought there had been more updates too.

I can't help but feel though that the bulk of users here think that my concerns about security on unsupported Windows OSs are silly ones. Why is that? I know I've repeatedly brought up the topic ad-nauseam - HOWEVER; one thing I have learned is to keep asking similar questions again and again, because sometimes that is the ONLY way to get absolute clarity on things. That's why it seems I bring up the same topic on different angles. I believe in dotting I's and crossing T's when doing fact checking. And you only can do that by challenging opinions and "facts".