WinPE 4 load screen - no progress indicator

uc4d

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and going to post my first query here.

Recently, I got a copy of ADK and installed it to create WinPE 4.0 image.

after creating the image, I booted a machine with it and noticed that it doesn't display any progress bars as it used to show in earlier versions of WinPE (even WinPE created in ADK of Windows 8 Develop Preview edition was showing a progress bar with "Loading Files" text.

It simply shows a big "Windows" text in the center of the screen and nothing else.

Is there a way to show progress bars while WinPE 4 is loading?

Thanks for your help in advance,

The 1st time I created my WinPE 4.0 & boot in uefi mode I had the balls & no progress bar.

Booting in bios mode I didn't get a progress bar but got the small bar that moves across like when windows is loading.

By default all the languages where copied over too. I deleted them all & some other files I thought weren't needed.

Now I can boot in bios & uefi mode and only get the progress bar at the bottom of the screen!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently downloaded updated ADK (I think that is RTM version) and re-created WinPE ISO.

It is still not showing the progress bar (bar with text "Loading files"). It just shows new Windows logo and nothing else.

I think that is real frustrating when the WinPE is being loaded using virtual cards (like HP iLO) where it takes around 4-5 minutes (even more) to load it and there is no indicator to show how much the WinPE is loaded.

. In this new WinPE, it just shows an animated circle, nothing else.

I recall, in ADK of Developer Preview, it was showing "Loading Files" along with a progress bar to show how much it has loaded.

I am wondering if there is a way to show that progress bar?

fantastic! this command did the trick for me.. this is what I was looking for.

thanks a lot cdob!

do you know if legacy option has any performance problems compared to the standard setting (in terms of loading time)?

do you know if legacy option has any performance problems compared to the standard setting (in terms of loading time)?

I get the same boot times. No, I doubt any performance problems.

Setting seems to relate to user interface only.

In addition: a default BCD

bcdedit /store f:\Boot\BCD

identifier {default}

bootmenupolicy Standard

BCD bootmenupolicy is set to "Standard" by default.

Delete value

bcdedit.exe /store U:\Boot\bcd /deletevalue {default} bootmenupolicy

Windows 8 bootmgr shows a progress bar still.

bootmgr internal "Standard" is to show a progress bar.

The new bootmenupolicy may force new behaviour: no progress bar

It seems like "standard" somehow "initiating" or "forcing" bootux.dll during booting:

http://www.boyans.net/BootMenuPolicy.html

Also, in a "dual boot" 7/8 environment it seems like it has a "bad" side effect:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249301-bootmenupolicy-standard-win-7-hides-multi-boot-menu.html

I would dare to call it "new non-standard" as opposed to "standard".... :whistle:

Or, on the other hand, it is interesting how Windows 7 is ALREADY considered "legacy" ;).

jaclaz