Customized XP installer

Lord Wolf

Okay I've tried googling this site for a few different things and the results that I come across either don't appear to address what I'm looking for or it seemed confusing or the answer wasn't clear (not to me at least). So I'll go over what I'm looking for with the questions at the end.

I have an MSI Wind U100 netbook. It came with XP Home (OEM of course) and had a recovery volume along with 2 discs (one is a DVD, not sure if the other is a DVD or a CD but that's not important). Since it doesn't have a built in DVD rom, an external one is needed (which I have and used recently). Had to do a reinstall because the hard drive was starting to fail. Got a 320gb from NewEgg (WD3200BEKT for $59.99) to replace the 160gb (WD1600BEVT) and decided to install XP pro using one of a few keys I have (320gb 7200/16m vs 160gb 5400/8mb :w00t:). I used nLite to slipstream in the SATA drivers from the recovery DVD (mentioned above) and where possible, I also added in drivers that didn't get installed via self installers. I know it's possible to do automated runs of the other installers but I'm not looking to get super fancy with it so decided I'd install those after the process (NBD). From that I used WinSetupFromUSB to make a bootable USB drive to do the install. After the install and then entering in a product key, I did all the necessary (and some optional) updates.

Okay everything seems great except, as Paul Harvey would say, here's "the rest of the story."

I had tried to create a partition on the new drive (at the end) to act as a recovery/installer partition. From what I can tell, it HAS to be a primary partition (easy enough). I was hoping to build it to be an installer for XP pro and 7 pro (32bit on both) so I could have a choice of which to run. However when trying to run the XP installer, I'd run into issues. First was a BSOD of 0x7b which I believe was from the fact that I hadn't yet streamed in the SATA drivers. So pulled everything apart to get the drive out, mounted it in my main system, updated the files, tried again and still more issues. Okay so after some frustration, just broke down and did it from the USB. I also tried to use EasyBCD to try to do things but to no avail.

So now the questions...

1. Is nLite still the popular/main/recommended method of customizing XP installs? If not, what is? (I'll admit I didn't really do a search on this but the 'read me first' topic mentioned nLite but not anything else so I'm going to guess that nLite is the way to go unless told otherwise).

2. Is there a 'fool proof' way of creating a install/recovery partition that will allow me to choose which OS to install?

3. I know there's a list somewhere of KB updates for XP on this site and I'm sure I can find it if I look for it but the question is this.. Is the list solely updates that are valid for 'all' XP products or does the list include updates for optional add-ons (dotNet updates for example). What I'm wanting to do is to have a list of updates that I would need if I were to install everything from a FPP disc of XP Pro/SP3 but nothing else. ie, no custom devices, optional installs like IE8, etc. Idea being that I want to create my own concept of a "SP4" ISO so if I need to reinstall the OS on the netbook, it'll require fewer updates to be caught up. Granted, I'll have some extras in there as well such as certain drivers, but would like to create a 'SP4' ISO that I can build off of.

4. I'm so used to 7 and haven't been tinkering with XP in so long that I've forgotten, how do I disable NumLock On inside of XP during boot? I had toggled it to be on via nLite, forgetting that it turns part of the keyboard into the numpad. So you can imagine that it can be annoying when it boots up and numlock is enabled. Also it seems to turn off by itself, which is weird, but would like to ensure it's set to not be on during boot.

5. Is there somewhere that I can download an OEM version of XP Pro w/SP3? I don't mean from a torrent but rather a link to download from someplace like DigitalRiverContent.net, so that I know I'm getting a clean copy.

Now to go re-learn how to use the $OEM$ folder while waiting for replies...

5. that would be illegal to write here

If it's hosted on msdn.digitalrivercontent.net then it's legit, it's put there by Microsoft so it wouldn't be illegal. There may be another domain or two that are legal/legit but digitalrivercontent.net is the only one I'm aware of.

1 - Nlite was and is still the best tool for this.

2 - There are a lot of method and one of them is almost the same than the one used for win7: install a winpe on this partition and when triggered, the restore operation will overwrite the target partition with a wim containing XP partition.

3 - Yes there is a list security related updates provided by -X- but it doesn't contain all existing updates like dotnet related or hotfixes by request provided by Microsoft.

4 - The reg entry initialkeyboardindicator should help you but remember that there is more than one in your case and you'll have to set all values to 0 to fix the numlock problem.

5 - Microsoft can't provide for download OEM version but they provide retail version on your msdn/open account. You might ask your manufacturer if you 're downgrading from windows 7 as sometimes they are providing this service for free. But from what you said, if the laptop had XP home OEM, then you can't ever find a legal XP PRO OEM to replace it.

Thanks...

1. Since the last update for it was in 2009 (I think it said 2009, could have been 2008), I wanted to ask to be sure that a new tool hadn't come out in place of it. Is it also used for Win7 or is there a separate tool for that?

2. Will look into that, thanks.

3. A list that is limited to updates only for a pure XP install (content only found on a vanilla XP w SP3 disc) is exactly what I'm looking for, so if that's what the list is, then it's perfect.

4. Will read, thank you.

5. I thought perhaps Microsoft might provide a vanilla OEM ISO, where a distributor could add in stuff before using it for customers. I know somewhere I have an OEM disc of XP w SP2, just a matter of finding it.

5. Is there somewhere that I can download an OEM version of XP Pro w/SP3? I don't mean from a torrent but rather a link to download from someplace like DigitalRiverContent.net, so that I know I'm getting a clean copy.

You already know the answer to this because you typed it but you won't find the links here, at least I have never seen anyone post them or even discuss them. Ask a mod before going any further on this question.

But 'the truth is out there', somewhere. Complete with hashes to verify as authentic, official and untouched.

5. I thought perhaps Microsoft might provide a vanilla OEM ISO, where a distributor could add in stuff before using it for customers. I know somewhere I have an OEM disc of XP w SP2, just a matter of finding it.

Microsoft provide OEM disc/iso to the OEM and never to end users and sometimes manufacturers put it in the package you get with the computer along with the recoveryCD. Finding an OEM disc might not be that trivial as like all OEM disc is protected: For example an HP windows OEM disc won't work on a DELL (except in some rare cases) as it was designed like this even if you remove the HP drivers/customization and add the DELL's ones.

you can imagine that it can be annoying when it boots up and numlock is enabled. Also it seems to turn off by itself, which is weird

If you have more than 1 user and do not have autologon enabled, you first come in the "default" profile, then after entering password (if any), you come in your own profile, that can explain your impresion of "weird" behaviour. So to complete allen2's answer, you also have to change the same registry value in HKU\.DEFAULT\...

Microsoft provide OEM disc/iso to the OEM and never to end users and sometimes manufacturers put it in the package you get with the computer along with the recoveryCD. Finding an OEM disc might not be that trivial as like all OEM disc is protected: For example an HP windows OEM disc won't work on a DELL (except in some rare cases) as it was designed like this even if you remove the HP drivers/customization and add the DELL's ones.

Not really. :no:

OEM discs are of two "kinds":

1. the "BIG" OEM's like HP, Dell :ph34r: and the ike
  2. the "small" OEM

See:

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4004

While the first are "modified" to work on a given machine and often will have a protection, slic or whatever, the second one are "normal" XP discs, but coming with a OEM license (and an OEM serial).

The OEM license simply "ties" the license to the actual piece of hardware bought with it, there are (or at least were) a lot of places where yu could buy an OEM disc and original license togeter with a floppy disk or a stick of Ram....

Selling an OEM license with a "trivial" piece of hardware is already "stretching a bit" the terms, but there are a lot of XP OEM's sold even without any hardware.

jaclaz

5 - An XP Pro "OEM-Specific" ("Royalty") doesn't exist "for sale" - only the "Generic" ("Mom and Pop") with a single key (as jaclaz stated above). "Royalty" (e.g. Dell, HP) AFAIK utilize the "generic", purchase n-Number of COA keys (with associated COA stickers), "modify" specific files (software and "how" is obviously classified and we don't know here), generally create a "Restore" partition with an Image for a specific Hardware using the Royalty Key, "roll" the Image out to that Hardware, and attach the COA Sticker to it. If you're lucky, you'll get a CD/DVD along with it (like the ones you have - one Restore, one Driver).

If you have an FPP CD with key(s) I suggest you stick with that or else use the XP Home OEM DVD instead (already "prepped" for pre-activation undoubtedly). One might question why you want an OEM image based upon that.

I hesitate to give any info on the possibility of "creating" an XP Pro OEM (generic or otherwise) as that's borderline illegal. Besides the fact that, as stated, a Generic still requires a single Legitimate "you have to activate" key (same as your FPP) and the Royalty requires the "special pre-activate" key, noting that Home/Pro OEM-Royalty/OEM-Generic/FPP keys are different in all cases.

If you're that dead-set on it, you'll have to scrounge for what you need elsewhere. However, hints here and here.

Interesting reading -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx

Just an FYI to (semi-)clarify. All other points answered. Proceed and make a new Topic for whatever legitimate hurdles you may encounter in the appropriate subforum. Note: Beware the "generic" OEM ones sold on the "open market" (as told by jaclaz) as they MAY have bad key AND be "fakes" (and are disappearing fast on e.g. Amazon, Newegg, etc.) - eBay and Craigslist may or may not be "safe".

Not really. :no:

OEM discs are of two "kinds":

1. the "BIG" OEM's like HP, Dell :ph34r: and the like
  2. the "small" OEM

Clarification. There are three "OEM" type discs.

1. The popularly known one, aka channel media, is DSP (as noted on that site)... This is commonly a hologram disc and comes with a COA that does not have a company's name on it. For example, XP Pro SP2 (X10-59871) can unlock with an X14 COA. Some Technet or MSDN subscribers can download this OS type from their download center. This type also appears on the secondary market, or can be purchased from a VAR (computer shop) with a qualifying piece of hardware.

2. There is the OEM Recovery CD/DVD that has a company's name on it, and restores a BIOS-locked installation. These discs commonly do additional hardware checks, for example a Compaq XP Recovery CD may refuse to install on Dell hardware. Most companies will sell a copy of the recovery CD to a user but only if the user can confirm they have qualifying hardware. These CDs often appear on the secondary market.

3. The last is the CD that Microsoft sends to the OEM/System Builder to create both the OS and the recovery CD. These discs are white and are stamped with "Confidential." Users with appropriate Microsoft Partner accounts may have access to download this type of media from Microsoft. I have not seen this media type in the secondary market, likely because its resale (like Intel Confidential hardware) is illegal.

#3 here is what allen2 is referring to.

I hesitate to give any info on the possibility of "creating" an XP Pro OEM (generic or otherwise) as that's borderline illegal. Besides the fact that, as stated, a Generic still requires a single Legitimate "you have to activate" key (same as your FPP) and the Royalty requires the "special pre-activate" key, noting that Home/Pro OEM-Royalty/OEM-Generic/FPP keys are different in all cases.

If you're that dead-set on it, you'll have to scrounge for what you need elsewhere. However, hints here and here.

From the responses I'm getting, I apparently wasn't very clear with a certain point that I mentioned. I already have an OEM key and SOMEWHERE around here I have an OEM disc of XP pro w SP2 (purchased from a computer store, I believe with the purchase of a HD, but may have been with something else, it's been awhile since the purchase). Without that disc or an ISO (OEM of SP2 or SP3), the key is useless. When I mention about an OEM image, I'm referring to a generic one, not one for a specific computer. I know I can't use the product key that is provided with the netbook because, for one thing among others, it's for XP home. I prefer to have Pro, so I get additional functionality. My desire for an ISO of an OEM version is simply to be able to make use of the legit key that I already have, instead of it going unused and thus being wasted.

As for the generic bad/fake keys, trust me, I only obtain keys from sources I know are legit. The computer store that I got the key from, I had been going to for a few years for various things. They're still in business (last I checked), but they've since moved to another location (further away) and I haven't needed their services. Basically, if anyone were to ask about them, I'd mention that I've had good experiences with them, just that I don't go there anymore.

Clarification. There are three "OEM" type discs.

1. The popularly known one, aka channel media, is DSP (as noted on that site)... This is commonly a hologram disc and comes with a COA that does not have a company's name on it. For example, XP Pro SP2 (X10-59871) can unlock with an X14 COA. Some Technet or MSDN subscribers can download this OS type from their download center. This type also appears on the secondary market, or can be purchased from a VAR (computer shop) with a qualifying piece of hardware.

This is how I got mine. I remember comparing it to a FPP disc and found out that there were only a few files that were different (like 3 or 4 small files). From what I could tell, it was nothing more than a FPP but with changes made so it would only accept OEM keys. Nothing customized and for all intents and purposes was an FPP disc, but without the FPP benefits (namely, support from MS).

3. The last is the CD that Microsoft sends to the OEM/System Builder to create both the OS and the recovery CD. These discs are white and are stamped with "Confidential." Users with appropriate Microsoft Partner accounts may have access to download this type of media from Microsoft. I have not seen this media type in the secondary market, likely because its resale (like Intel Confidential hardware) is illegal.

#3 here is what allen2 is referring to.

And guess WHY there is written "Confidential" on it? :unsure:

I would guess to avoid admitting even the existence of it :w00t:

When you get it you should have signed a document with the Fight Club rules ;):

128767763809129674.jpg

:lol:

Seriously, the only TWO types of CD discs that you can have (unless you are an OEM) are the ones mentioned in the article, the one white with "Confidential" on it should not be available anywhere, as it is simply a sort of "master".

jaclaz

This is how I got mine. I remember comparing it to a FPP disc and found out that there were only a few files that were different (like 3 or 4 small files). From what I could tell, it was nothing more than a FPP but with changes made so it would only accept OEM keys. Nothing customized and for all intents and purposes was an FPP disc, but without the FPP benefits (namely, support from MS).

Well MSI is an OEM as well, so maybe I am confused about what kind of disc you actually have. Does the COA on the netbook say MSI (or Microstar) on it? And the XP Home disc you have, is it a hologram disc?

If it is a hologram disc, you shouldn't have any problems but if it is not the standard hologram disc then you might have some extra work to do.

And guess WHY there is written "Confidential" on it? :unsure:

I would guess to avoid admitting even the existence of it :w00t:

Well its obviously no secret that they exist. Its not even really a big deal since that distribution model isn't used anymore. :rolleyes: