(Partially SOLVED) How to install XP to one HDD, then clone it to anot

PROBLEMCHYLD

Momentarily irritated by your pickyness on the unrelated thread, yes :yes:

Who's the bully now ? :D I wasn't picky, it was clearly related. I think the word "installing" was the relevant difference between my suggestion and what had been offered before.

Your idea is good as well :thumbup (and I don't see in it all the defects that you are now listing :)) but IMHO it represents NOT an answer to the question, since you modify the source disk (by reducing the size of the current partition and add a new partition to store temporarily the image) the image contents that will be deployed to the new disk will be not the image of the disk"as is", but of the disk as "it will be" after your mods...

Well, obviously (you just pretend not to see this, I know ;) ), in my case, the image would have been one of a partition, not of a disk (remember the OP only intends to "move XP" from one disk to an other). As such my image is 100% untouched (as you just write, only the size is reduced but we know it's a detail) while you list all 4 "temporary" changes your method would have (permanently) brought to the image.

I really stop here. I mean it. :angel

Well, obviously (you just pretend not to see this, I know ;) ), in my case, the image would have been one of a partition, not of a disk (remember the OP only intends to "move XP" from one disk to an other). As such my image is 100% untouched (as you just write, only the size is reduced but we know it's a detail) while you list all 4 "temporary" changes your method would have (permanently) brought to the image.

Well, no.

If it was a "mere" partition copy, it would never have booted from the new disk, you would need anyway to copy (or fix) the MBR and the disk signature - or the connected Registry entries).

So, even if it would not be a "whole disk" copy, it would be anyway a "whole disk copy minus the second temporary partition" :yes: .

jaclaz