(Partially SOLVED) How to install XP to one HDD, then clone it to anot

PROBLEMCHYLD

Assuming a Windows machine I would use Robocopy not xcopy. And as long as the source drive has no files in use it should work fine. Most of your disk cloning software will do this also when booted from external media.

Thanks

Here what I'm doing. I want to install WinXP on and 40gb IDE hard drive.

After fully updated with patches and software, I want to move it to a sata hard drive (caddy) with a IDE interface.

I hate to install software and only have to use it once. I will do this procedure with a couple of SATA drives, so

all I have to do is change the HD thats in the caddy.

Thanks

Here what I'm doing. I want to install WinXP on and 40gb IDE hard drive.

After fully updated with patches and software, I want to move it to a sata hard drive (caddy) with a IDE interface.

I hate to install software and only have to use it once. I will do this procedure with a couple of SATA drives, so

all I have to do is change the HD thats in the caddy.

Please define "install".

Many of the solutions provided are about boot-CD's or bootable USB sticks or floppy.

You NEVER, and I mean NEVER image a disk/volume that is in use (unless you use Shadow Copy services).

jaclaz

I want to install WinXP on the C drive from a CD. Once it has been updated,

I will remove the CD rom caddy and add a SATA HD caddy with an IDE interface. I want to copy/clone/image whatever etc.......

from the C drive to the D drive. I doNOT want to install any 3rd party apps to accomplish this. Thanks

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I want to install WinXP on the C drive from a CD. Once it has been updated,

I will remove the CD rom caddy and add a SATA HD caddy with an IDE interface. I want to copy/clone/image whatever etc.......

from the C drive to the D drive. I doNOT want to install any 3rd party apps to accomplish this. Thanks

Well, you CANNOT :no: (within the limits of the self - limitations you imposed yourself).

You need to boot the machine to ANOTHER OS (that contains the needed tools), this can also be a "dual boot" with a "hidden, recovery like" partition on the main hard disk.

So, in any case you NEED a "third party tool", whether this needs to be "installed" or not, is another thing.

Please spend some time reading here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

as right now you are slipping on a chocolate covered banana :ph34r: .

jaclaz

You need to boot the machine to ANOTHER OS (that contains the needed tools)

I think this sticks to his request of not installing any software (supposedly "on his C: drive that he's going to clone, before cloning").

I have three questions, please bear with me :

I) What's the size of the SATA HDD you intend to move the XP installation to?

II) Do you intend to install XP on a machine having as internal HDDs the 40 GB IDE drive alone, or there'll be other internal HDDs present?

III) I understand you'll be using a CD\DVD drive in a caddy with a SATA to IDE converter, so the caddy will be connected to one of the internal IDE ports... So, to which port will it be connected, and will it be alone as Secondary Master or as Primary Slave, together with the 40GB HDD (which in this case would be the Primary Master)?

Is there a way to clone/image hard drive so it can be move to another HD without installing any 3rd party software?

Use NTBackup. Backup data to a temp file and restore data.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_command_line_examples.mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894/en-us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTBackup

I think this sticks to his request of not installing any software (supposedly "on his C: drive that he's going to clone, before cloning").

Exactly :yes:

I) What's the size of the SATA HDD you intend to move the XP installation to?

120 GB

II) Do you intend to install XP on a machine having as internal HDDs the 40 GB IDE drive alone, or there'll be other internal HDDs present?

There will be two drives, on the 40gb Win98 and on the 120gb WinXP.
III) I understand you'll be using a CD\DVD drive in a caddy with a SATA to IDE converter, so the caddy will be connected to one of the internal IDE ports... So, to which port will it be connected, and will it be alone as Secondary Master or as Primary Slave, together with the 40GB HDD (which in this case would be the Primary Master)?
No, I have to remove the CD rom caddy in order to run the SATA caddy with XP on the partition.

Win98 will be the Primary/Master, WinXP will be the Secondary/Slave.

I would like to install WinXP first on the SATA and then Win98.

The only way to do that is, to install it on the 40gb from the CD and then clone/image/ghost etc.... to the 120gb.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Does this help?

No, thanks anyway. Is it possible to use something like a command line tool. I just don't want to install any software.

Since you have no CD, would you have either among:

1. a floppy
  2. a USB stick/hd
  3. PXE booting

Otherwise you will need to "install" (actually there is NO NEED to "install" but you will have to accept that a third party tool exists :w00t: on your hard disk or OS volume) a boot manager like grub4dos (and from it load *any* other third party tool in the form of either a floppy disk image, a CD image or a (small) hard disk image).

Most probably the easiest tool would be partition saving:

http://www.partition-saving.com/

jaclaz

Since you have no CD, would you have either among:

1. a floppy
  2. a USB stick/hd
  3. PXE booting

Otherwise you will need to "install" (actually there is NO NEED to "install" but you will have to accept that a third party tool exists :w00t: on your hard disk or OS volume) a boot manager like grub4dos (and from it load *any* other third party tool in the form of either a floppy disk image, a CD image or a (small) hard disk image).

Most probably the easiest tool would be partition saving:

http://www.partition-saving.com/

jaclaz

I do have some USB flash drives. 8gb and 16gb. No floppy drive. I don't know what PXE booting is. The laptop does not boot USB flash drives if it helps.

Hmmm... you can't clone a "running" XP. No way. HIVES are actively being accessed. The rationale behind the removing the Registry Entries is the fact that XP stores the HDD info in it and it will (probably) not boot to the cloned drive because it still (in those REG entries) "sees" the Original HDD as the Device on which it's installed. XXCOPY weighs in at approx. 550kb.

jaclaz might suggest Plop Booting maybe?

Since you have ONE attachable CD, maybe you could (RAM permitting) load a LiveXP from it into RAM which would allow for disconnect-CD/reconnect-HDD for the "clone" operation. Been doing this for about a year now (using a HDD "image", a not-really-SDI-image BOOT.SDI), both USB and CD. This is how I "beat" a laptop having the same situation as you (no CD, no Floppy, but DID boot from USB).