Any way to transfer user accounts/profiles and maintain passwords?

chiefwigms

Long story short, I created an unattended image of Windows 7 Ultimate with a bunch of user accounts with passwords set (I took a generalized sysprep capture after they all logged in). I went with Ultimate because of SFU (we've used this previously for XP), however, unlike XP, 7 doesn't include NFS server with SFU. I now need to re-create this image as Windows 7 Professional. From my understanding, I need to do a clean build.

Is there anyway to copy all the profiles over to the new build with each user's password set? Getting all the users to come back to the lab and set their passwords is a huge hassle.

I've tried the Easy Transfer tool, however it sets the User Must Change Password on First Login flag. If I disable it through the admin account, the next attempt auto logs in since the password is blank.

Any help/advice is appreciated

-Pete

OK, so you disabled the "Must Change" flag and got stuck with unwanted auto-login / blank password.

One answer is to run a script to create temp dummy password, apply it to all users affected, and then reset the Must Change Password flag, so they have to change the dummy on login.

When we do stuff like that in the office, we always put an actual piece of paper (not email) on each users desk so that they can login with the temp password on the morning you swap out machines. Otherwise they will not be able to login and you will be explaining to the higher ups why not.

Edited by MrJinje

So I just want to make it clear that I want all the users to have the same password they had on the Ultimate image... Its a huge hassle to get them to change it again and this image gets deployed to several machines (each of which is used by multiple users).. Having a dummy password like that would force them to change it on their first logon on each pc... There's gotta be a way to do this

Are these local accounts or domain accounts ? I'm guessing local because you mention each user would have to change the password on each (and every) machine.

Also guessing you disabled the setting that forces them to change passwords every 45 days, so these are in essence the long time 'favorite' passwords of each user. Not a problem.

If the passwords are getting wiped when you move the profile, it's gonna be tough without you actually knowing their passwords (using Easy Transfer). Maybe you should try a different program for your profile capture, things with "Easy" in the name rarely ever are.

This page says 7 Ultimate has NFS Client (default is not installed) and that it is actually unavailable for 7 Professional ???

http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/client-for-nfs/

Can you clarify why you want to downgrade your awesome Ultimate version into the less then stellar professional version ???

Edited by MrJinje