Replicate Active Directory 2003 to Win 2k8

Shahid99

Guys,

Is there any way i can replicate active directory from my Domain Contoller which is Windows 2003 to Windows Server 2008(to the new DC to a new machine 2k8) without making the Primary domain controller going down?

I would like to do everything manually from sctrach...

So far i build the server, updates and etc...pls do advice if i can get the replicate copy of active directory and put it to the new machine. Once replicated to the new machine i will bring down the old domain controller...change the ip and put it back on?

Will this process will work? Please, correct me if i am wrong!

I appreciate it..

Thank You!!!

You most likely just need to add the needed roles on the 2008 server (if your active directory schema is already a the right level, if not you'll need to do adprep/forestprep/domainprep if needed) then make the server a domain computer of your 2003 domain then do the dcpromo then transfer the roles with ntdsutil (you can use other methods but that's the easier) on the 2008 DC.

After everything is working properly on the windows 2008 DC, you'll be able to try shuting down for a while ( a few hours a least) the 2003 so you'll be sure everything is still working (except replication with the 2003 dc) then restart the 2003 DC and demote it from dc role.