SBS 2003 raid install on AMD A75 mb

NickMDal

Trying to recover an SBS 2003 installation from a failed motherboard. New mobo is Gigabyte GA-A75M-DH2 (Chipset is AMD A75)

Symantec Backup Exec Recovery does not seem able to load a raid driver for this board by its "recover anywhere" method. NLite seems like a great alternative.

When the NLite created SBS install cd is run (with RAID driver), SBS installer does not recognize the AMD raid array. I skipped the F6 step.

I created the array using the boards built-in utility. Then added a single RAID driver through the NLite wizard, which was the x86 RAID driver for XP.

No luck though. Should work with this hardware?

Thanks for your help. I've attached the driver file from the install cd. Here is the link to the MB manufacturer driver page:

You have to select the OS, which is Windows Server 2003. We are running Small Bus. Server 2003. Note the SBS 03 install we are trying to recover used xp drivers for same RAID type (different manufacturer) without a problem.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3930&dl=1#dl

x86.rar

Could you first answer these few questions?

1. You're saying that the other motherboard failed... are you now trying to connect the HDD(s) to the new one? How many HDDs were used?

2. Do you want to run the existing installation of the SBS 2003 or to install it from scratch?

3. SBS (Small Business Server) doesn't sound like something used at home. nLite is for personal use only :whistle: and I'm not sure about the structure of the CD of SBS 2003. Is it the same as Windows 2003 Server? Even without using nLite you can integrate SATA drivers very easily manually. I can help you in this matter but please first answer questions 1) and 2).

Edit: By the way, there's no *.oem file in the archive.

Edited by tomasz86

:) It is used at home for a home based network. We were trying to convert from static IP to dynamic when the sata controller on the old Abit Mobo failed.

(1) Using 2 drives as RAID 0 on new board. Those drives are new.

(2) I am using a backup of the existing install. We have to do this. Symantec System Recovery 2011 image file.

SBS setup disc is very similar to XP. Our backup install used xp RAID drivers.

Microsoft support somehow just corrupted the old installation when trying to remove ISA 2004 - I paid them $280 for this incident!

So I am trying to restore an image backup using Symantec System Restore 2011. That cannot access the RAID driver.

Next tried to create a partition using SBS setup disc (modified with NLite).

The RAID driver path on the cd is attached. I used the NLite driver utility to add single file and then driver folder.

post-359358-0-42133400-1344276663_thumb.

Edited by NickMDal

I'm not sure if I understand everything correctly. Are these new two HDDs empty? Are you trying to restore the system from the backup image and you can't do it because there is no proper RAID driver? Is this correct?

Will you be able to restore the previous configuration if you install SBS 2003 again? I'm guessing that this is what you're trying to do now and this is why you're trying to integrate the SATA/RAID driver for AMD A75. Are there no HDDs detected when you run the SBS 2003 installation?

What to you mean by "very similar to XP"? Is SBS 2003 recognised by nLite? If the folder structure, etc. is different then nLite may not integrate the drivers properly.

This is how you can integrate the driver manually (use only the files from the x86 folder):

and after that you should add more lines to:

dosnet.inf

[FloppyFiles.1]
d1,ahcix86.sys

txtsetup.sif

[SourceDisksFiles]
ahcix86.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[SCSI.Load]
ahcix86 = ahcix86.sys,4

[FileFlags]
ahcix86.sys = 16

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4391&CC_0106 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4392&CC_0104 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4393&CC_0104 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4394&CC_0106 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&CC_0106 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7802&CC_0104 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7803&CC_0104 = "ahcix86"
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106 = "ahcix86"

[SCSI]
ahcix86 = "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller-x86 platform"

hivesys.inf

[AddReg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters",,0x00000012
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters\PnpInterface","5",0x00010003,1

and then also make cab of ahcix86.sys and copy it to i386 (so at the end there will be two copies of the file, one in driver.cab and one in i386).

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks again. Everything's changed now. Just accidentally deleted the partition on the backup drive so now its a fresh SBS 03 install. That isn't too much of a disaster since the old was plagued by corrupt files. Critical items are backed elsewhere.

The raid situation is straightened out. Picked up a usb floppy and SBS install cd works with it perfectly.

My problem now is that SBS will need all of the xp drivers on the Gigabyte CD. Is it a complex process to configure the nLite ISO to contain all of the motherboard drivers? Your help is very appreciated.

Nick

But did you integrate the driver or just used the floppy to install it at the beginning of the setup? :P

If you want to integrate all drivers then the link I mentioned above in #6 has everything you need to integrate them... This is the only way to have FULL control of the process. Of course you can try adding them through nLite but then it's trial and error game.

Just at setup. Slow here not being an IT person. :)

I just used the floppy at F6. Previously I integrated using the wizard, not the manual approach you suggested. That did not work. After using the floppy approach, the SBS routine is blue screened during installation of the first OS cd. I thought it was using raid properly since it managed to install many files. Can you say if that is the case?

Using your procedure to integrate drivers will take many hours since the mobo cd has gillions of folders and files. Well, I just counted and found 433 inf files. Manually picking out the list for XP files would in itself be a job. The driver download from gigabyte is only an executable that builds the entire folder tree.

Do you know which particular driver types MUST be preinstalled? I imagine some do not impact install and so I can always use the install cd from SBS desktop if I can get there.

Edited by NickMDal

I'm sure that most of those folders and INF files on the CD are not needed when integrating drivers ;) I could create a package for you which you would just integrate using the script (one click integration) but there is a catch - you would have to follow my instructions 100% :w00t:

Actually nothing needs to be preinstalled. As long your HDDs are detected and there are no errors during the installation then you can just install all drivers later after the first boot.

Please note that nLite's is for personal use only, not business related use, you agreed to that when you installed it. We've never given help to people in breach of this agreement here. Forum rule 1d.

I completely understand this. Our installation is at home and I am not an IT person. I have a Time Warner residential connection now. We do some "work" type work at home but mostly it is just to manage our home network. Is that ok?

OK, I'm going to prepare a driver pack but first I need to know what devices are used and connected to this board.

1) What's your CPU? Do you use an APU? If not then please tell me what your graphic card is.

2) Do you use the integrated Realtek ALC889 sound card?

3) Do you use the integrated Realtek RTL8111E LAN card?

4) Are there any other devices used?

There shouldn't be many drivers needed for this particular motherboard:

- mass storage drivers

- sound drivers

- LAN drivers

and probably

- graphic drivers

If this is everything then preparing the package will be very simple. Actually the board doesn't officially support Windows 2003 Server and some drivers may not be available for the OS. You'll have to use XP drivers which should work in most cases but don't have to.

Edited by tomasz86