Memory Info Program

Monroe

Just came across this little program today and really like it, posting some info about it in case anyone might want to try it out or may have been looking for such a program. Having recently left Windows 98SE for XP, I was glad to be able to transfer many software programs to Windows XP. However, one program that I really liked on 98SE doesn't work on XP and that is Memload v2.0 ... it would easily show the amount of memory being used by all running programs.

Then I found MemInfo v3.2 today ... it has several nice features and it will also show the amount of memory being used by a program just like Memload did in Windows 98SE. By default it shows 5 programs but the number can be easily changed to any or all programs. I set it to 20. Just right click on the systray icon and you see what programs are using the most memory from top to bottom. It also can replace RAMpage and a little program program called ResMan from EnTech Taiwan.

RAMpage ... (Windows 98SE)

http://www.jfitz.com/RAMpage/

----------------------------------

ResMan ... (Windows 98SE)

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/legacy.shtm

----------------------------------

Memload ... (Windows 98SE)

http://z15.invisionfree.com/win98/ar/t81.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MemInfo v3.2 ... (Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7) ... sort of a combo of the above three 98SE programs.

http://download.cnet.com/MemInfo/3000-2248_4-67969.html

MemInfo lets users keep an eye on their computer's memory at all times. It gives a real-time look into the workings of computer systems. With ease and subtlety, MemInfo is a great tool for memory hogs.

The program's interface is so basic it doesn't matter that there is no Help file. There is basically no interaction here: users just view the statistics of their memory. What few commands there are operate quite simply. MemInfo embeds itself into the user's system tray and stays there. To view its information, users simply scroll over the small icon. A small information box opens and displays physical memory as megabytes (MB), percentage of memory used, and page file in MB. The icon also changes colors to warn users. It stays green under 65 percent usage, turns yellow above 65 percent, and red at 95 percent. The program's finest feature is undoubtedly the defragmenter that can be utilized by right-clicking. Here, users can free up a lot of memory just by clicking a button.

By staying simple, and offering great information at a glance, this freeware program will be a favorite of users who are obsessed with their memory usage.

... didn't see it already mentioned anywhere but I don't have much luck using the Search feature at times.

Edited by duffy98

I guess you might like the good old ATM, by Tim Murgent. This link I provided takes you to a Wayback Machine archived page you can download the old version 1 from, and that's important because v. 2 and v. 3 don't run on XP. ATM is not a program to use as an always on monitor program, but is convenient when you want very detailed information. And thanks for the links you've provided!

Hi dencorso ... the link for the ATM program doesn't seem to be working for now. I did a quick search on Google for another link but didn't come up with one. I will do a better search shortly. Yes, I like to check out different software programs so ATM sounds interesting. I may have it already archived on some software backup dvds.

A little more info on MemInfo ... I was using RAMpage on my XP setup, it does work and so I set up MemInfo to look the same ... black background with lime green numbers. It 's listed as only using 2 MB of RAM while RAMpage is listed as using 3 MB of RAM. I took off RAMpage and will use MemInfo. I also changed the settings to report "unused" or available RAM, just like RAMpage reported. I have the little bar on top set for "No Bar Border and "Opaque Bar". The program has some nice features.

... OK, understand now about the Wayback Machine ... a time capsule for archiving older software and just about anything. Never checked this out before. There were a few older Windows 98 programs I was never able to find a download for. Wish I had known about this site ... wonder what year this site was founded? I can get that off Google.

Edited by duffy98

There's no other link, sorry1 But the one I gave you is working OK for me, I've just tested it. In any case, here's the direct download link (from that page you aren't being able to reach) ATM v.1.

The Wayback Machine can reach back straight to 1996! Unfortunately, as of late, they began honoring robots.txt retroactively, so when the site still exists and they decide to prohibit crawling, all previously cached content is deleted from the Internet Archive (or, at least, stored beyond reach, but I doubt it: space is a precious commodity for them, so deleting, which is what they say they do, makes more sense, in that context)... and this has resulted in the definitive loss of access to numerous pages related to 9x/ME that have been retired by MS (and were still reachable through the Wayback Machine for a while). In any case, access to the Wayback Machine is somewhat erratic at best, so when you cannot connect to them in the 1st attempt, do try again later, for odds are sooner ort later you'll succeed.

I got the download from the second link you provided ... download started right away. I'm still not able to use the first link ... this is the URL I got from that link ..... but the second link works fine ... thanks.

http://www.tmurgent.com/Tool_ATM.aspx

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Tool_ATM.aspx

Edited by duffy98

I got the ATM downloads from this page:

www.tmurgent.com/Tools/ATM/Default.aspx

V1: www.tmurgent.com/download/ATM32_01000000.zip

V2: www.tmurgent.com/download/ATM_32bit_V2.zip

V3: www.tmurgent.com/download/ATM_x86_3.0.zip

Hope this helps.

Bye.

I41Mar

Edited by I41Mar