BSOD after updating ATI drivers

doveman

I installed the latest ATI Catalyst 12.6 and SB drivers and now it BSOD on booting. In Safe Mode it shows the last thing to load before BSOD is atipcie.sys.

I've managed to boot in Last Known Good configuration now but I guess I should try and fix the problems and boot into the previously working config. How do I even get back to that, as it seems if a Last Known Good boot is successful that becomes the default (now the registry shows Current=2, Default=2, Failed=1, LastKnownGood=3) so do I have to edit the registry to change Default back to 1 (and do I have to delete the Failed line or just the 1 part?)

Anyway, before that I need to fix whatever is causing atipcie.sys to cause it to BSOD on boot if anyone knows why or how to fix it?

Maybe you can find useful infos here:

AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 12.6 Release Notes

Check if you need NET Framework SP1 for your OS!

Caution:

The AMD Catalyst Control Center/AMD Vision Engine Control Center requires that the Microsoft® .NET Framework SP1 be installed for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Without .NET SP1 installed, the AMD Catalyst Control Center/AMD Vision Engine Control Center will not launch properly and the user will see an error message.

Maybe you need to uinstall ATI 12.6 with Safe mode and install the working ATI previous version.

I think NET is only needed to open CCC and the lack of it wouldn't cause a BSOD on booting. As I mentioned, I can't boot in Safe Mode as that BSOD on booting as well.

I think the problem (atipcie.sys) might be with the SB drivers rather than the video driver

I've never seen Windows start after a BSOD error when booting!

I'm using Win7 x64. I don't think I'll be using that (untested) tool. As I can boot in LKG I can probably just disable the dodgy driver from loading in ControlSet001 once I'm sure what to disable.

I've never seen Windows start after a BSOD error when booting!

I see Windows may start only if you see at the bottom of the BSOD an increasing number (like 60-90-120) and the computer restart and Windows boot!

Happens to me many times with Windows XP.

Maybe that can help you also:

I see Windows may start only if you see at the bottom of the BSOD an increasing number (like 60-90-120) and the computer restart and Windows boot!

Happens to me many times with Windows XP.

Though it would not be the first time that the good MS guys misname things, a BSOD is actually a way to show you a STOP ERROR, and after a STOP, the computer is HALTed. ;)

I have never seen in my whole life a PC with a NT based system "revive" and start after a BSOD, and I would be interested if you could expand on your experience.

@doveman

BSOD means "nothing" it's the STOP ERROR number that may give some hint on the cause.

Having last driver loaded being atipcie.sys as well says "nothing", that is the last driver loaded (and the failure is usually on the NEXT one that is not listed as it is not loaded, as it actually fails while loading and before anything is written to screen) :ph34r:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK, I'll note the STOP ERROR next time I try it.

Am I right about needing to edit the registry to change Default back to 1 and deleting the Failed line to boot into the faulty ControlSet again or is there a better/more correct way?

Am I right about needing to edit the registry to change Default back to 1 and deleting the Failed line to boot into the faulty ControlSet again or is there a better/more correct way?

Leave the Registry alone.

Do make a backup of it "as is" using ERUNT and leave it "as is", if you edit incorrectly the configurations set you may get an unbootable system.

Once thing are fixed, we will talk of resetting the Registry.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Leave the Registry alone.

Do make a backup of it "as is" using ERUNT and leave it "as is", if you edit incorrectly the configurations set you may get an unbootable system.

Once thing are fixed, we will talk of resetting the Registry.

jaclaz

All very well but then I can't boot into the faulty ControlSet and check the STOP ERROR message.

All very well but then I can't boot into the faulty ControlSet and check the STOP ERROR message.

Well, if you reinstall the stupid driver and it is actually the culprit, you will be again in the same situation.... :whistle:

jaclaz

Well, if you reinstall the stupid driver and it is actually the culprit, you will be again in the same situation.... :whistle:

jaclaz

Yeah, I'd rather not mess up ANOTHER ControlSet, as at least I can use this one (2) in the meantime whilst I try and find out what went wrong with the other one (1).