Biostar TA790GXBE board has stopped powering up

doveman

Which Windows 7 do you use?

Which AMD AHCI driver did you install?

Did you used amdsata.sys, ahcix64s.sys or another one? Which one?

Win7 Ultimate x32. I think I used the ATI 12.6 SB driver install but it might have been an earlier one, I can't recall. Not sure which driver it installed.

Yes, there are few possibilities

In addition: ASUS M5A88-V EVO and MSI 760GA-P43

The Asus has a ridiculously large NB heatsink which would probably clash with my CPU Heatsink though. The MSI doesn't have on-board graphics.

Cool the mainboard too:

some air flow around capacitors and Southbridge.

Yeah, I always make sure there's adequate airflow.

Not sure which driver it installed.

Back to basics:

set msahci to start=0. Ignore other recommendations so far.

Try booting and report the result.

Let's continue at given result. Mass storage drivers will be fixed at one way or another.

The MSI doesn't have on-board graphics.

Strange, there is a VGA connector http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=80588

Granted, neither DVI nor HDMI connector.

http://eu.msi.com/product/mb/760GA-P43--FX-.html

Back to basics:

set msahci to start=0. Ignore other recommendations so far.

Try booting and report the result.

Let's continue at given result. Mass storage drivers will be fixed at one way or another.

OK, I'll do that (after making a True Image backup of course).

Strange, there is a VGA connector http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=80588

Granted, neither DVI nor HDMI connector.

http://eu.msi.com/product/mb/760GA-P43--FX-.html

Yeah, my mistake. It seems the 760G chipset does have HD3000 onboard http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/7-series-integrated/pages/amd-760g-chipset.aspx

Anyway, I've bought a s/h TA790GX A3+ on ebay for £34 now, so it should be quite straightforward. I'll let you know when I've got it and tested.

Well I got the replacement TA790GX A3+ board today and fitted the CPU and 4GB DDR3 my Dad had spare after I upgraded him for his birthday. Still doesn't work!

Seeing as I've tested all the other components, either the CPU's dead or I've been sold a faulty motherboard but I don't think the latter's likely as the seller has 100% feedback.

So I'll just have to strip my Gigabyte system (the worst part is taking the Thermalright SI-128 SE CPU heatsink off) and test the Phenom II X3 720 from that on this new board (and the old one for that matter). At least if the CPU is faulty it's got a lifetime warranty, so I'll just give my brother the Phenom II X3 720 and put the replacement Athlon II X4 640 in my Gigabyte system when I get it back.

Man this is doing my head in now. I've put my Phenom II X3 720 in the TA790GX A3+ board I bought and it still doesn't work. Does much the same as the TA790GXBE board did, the leds briefly flicker on when I first try to power it up with the onboard button or the case button (not on subsequent attempts until I power-cycle the PSU) and that's it.

I've put the Athlon II X4 640 in the Gigabyte board and that works fine, so I don't know what's going on unless the TA790GXBE board died and the TA790GX A3+ board I bought is also faulty.

EDIT: Although I'd already tested the PSU on my Gigabyte system with the PSU out of the case, I just tested again (with the X4 640 in the Gigabyte board) with it in the case, just on the off-chance that there was some weird problem making it not work properly when screwed into the case but it worked fine, so it's definitely not that.

EDIT2: Tested the DDR3 in another board and that powers on fine. In fact, that board powers on OK without any RAM installed, so I don't think it can be a RAM problem preventing the Biostar boards powering up.

Edited by doveman

• 1 month later...

OK, so I got the Asrock 880GMH/U3S3.

I've just tested it with only the CPU and RAM and when pressing the power button (connected to the header, there's no on-board buttons) the PSU and CPU fans spin up for a couple of seconds but then spin down again.

It seems like it's tripping out for some reason. I don't think there's any problem with the CPU or RAM as I've been using them on another board, so I wonder if there's an issue with the PSU but I tested that with another board a few weeks ago and that was fine, so I don't really know what's up.

???

I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this was mentioned? The fans will will run full-throttle then "settle down" until needed at higher temperatures. It's called "Smart Fan" and usually you can turn this ON/OFF in the BIOS somewhere.

This is normal (if it has Smart Fan) and a word of warning - I have a "monitor" software installed and it wreaks havoc if you set the Sensors-ID on the wrong Sensor (mine has 3).

Edited by submix8c

OK... so what kind of PSU is it (never seen that specified)? If it's not the correct type and/or does not have enough watts on the rails, it may not work. All of the info is sometimes provided on a sticker., otherwise you'll need to get the specs from the manufacturer. Have you "cracked it open" and CAREFULLY thoroughly cleaned it out? Sometimes "bulged" CAPS will function at lower demands but will fail at higher (just like a MoBo).

Edited by submix8c

It's a OCZ StealthXStream 400W. Was working fine with the same system until the original board died.

I did actually have it open recently as I needed to replace the fan which had started making annoying noises intermittently (probably the bearings were going) so I cleaned it out then and didn't notice any bulging caps. I just tested it by shorting PS_ON to GND and it stays on like that but as you say, it may have a fault that's causing it to trip out when it's under load.

I think I'll have to try my Antec PSU from my main system and see if that works with this board.

Seems it is the PSU. With my Antec PSU, the CPU fan stays on, even without any RAM in the board, so it seems the OCZ PSU managed to die in between moving the system from the bench into the case. I'll have to double-check whether the original MB is actually faulty or not but I don't think the CPU fan was coming on even briefly with that, so it probably is.