Folder changed into .sys file and showing 0bytes of size

NukeGuy

Hello everyone,

After a detailed search i came across this forum and found it helpful. Hope it works for me.

I don't know much but I think my problem is weird.

My PC is mostly use for MUSIC PRODUCTION and GRAPHICS stuff and all...

Mostly i had made different folders in different drives and SHORT-KEYING them on desktop.

One of my folder titled "DESKTOP STUFF" was in my drive's partition G:

Apparently I cannot access my FOLDER, its showing 0kb of size and the extension is changed to .SYS

The folder consists of around 15gb of data. I tried searching the files form the folders from search but no results.

But when i check the drive's property it shows the SIZE including the HIDDEN 30GB.

M kinda confuse and worried..

Help me out please

post-359248-0-30444700-1344023679_thumb.

Mostly i had made different folders in different drives and SHORT-KEYING them on desktop.

One of my folder titled "DESKTOP STUFF" was in my drive's partition G:

Apparently I cannot access my FOLDER, its showing 0kb of size and the extension is changed to .SYS

The folder consists of around 15gb of data. I tried searching the files form the folders from search but no results.

But when i check the drive's property it shows the SIZE including the HIDDEN 30GB.

M kinda confuse and worried..

Well, first thing:

DO NOT PANIC :)

(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters)

What you describe looks lke a (minor) form of corruption of the filesystem.

It is likely that it is possible to recover those files, but the issue is understanding WHAT could have happened. :unsure:

If I get it right that folder became system, hidden and had .sys extension added but without changing it's name?

The right procedure would be to make first thing an image of the whole disk (as to have a way back if needed) or, at the very list, of the single drive affected.

Can you detail about the 15 Gb and the "hidden" 30 GB, I am not sure to have followed you.

Which kind of content was in it?

I mean, it should be possible to recover the actual files BUT losing their filenames, are we talking of tens, hundreds or thousands of files?

How big is the affected G: drive/partition?

How big is the whole disk containing the affected drive/partition?

Do you have on ANOTHER disk enough free space to contain a copy of the whole disk or at least a copy of the whole partition?

Is this an internal disk or an external one (possibly USB or firewire)?

If it is the main internal boot diks, do you have anoher PC on which to work?

jaclaz