Can't get win-98 to remember folder-view options

Nomen

Pressing (and holding) the control key while closing the explorer window does nothing for me. If I configure the folder-view to be what I want (details view, and NO web-page view) and select "like current folder" and then hold the control key while closing the window, the system does not remember my view settings upon the next re-start.

Just ignore me if I'm not helping .....

I also like to see folder details rather than icons on win98. I dunno why, but the only way I can ever make that stick (after say, a clean install).. is to set a folder to the view I want ....then go to control panel... folder options (or whereever it is there in that neighborhood) and then UN-check "remember folder view" (or whatever that is there where you can also check whether to see hidden files etc).

Seems that win98se then is fine in calling up my folder details view from then on... which is strange because I've basically told windows to NOT remember the folder views.

Don't know why that is, but it's a subconscious thing for me now to always un-check that box in folder options. Stuff then stays the way I want.

I'm not sure if this is related to my continuing problem with win-98se not remembering my folder-view settings, but when I use explorer (my computer) to browse to my c:\program files directory, I get what looks like a listing of font (ttf) files. Exactly the same thing as if I browsed to the c:\windows\fonts directory. The program files directory looks normal if I bring it up in a DOS window. Running scandisk from dos doesn't change or fix this (it found no errors on the drive). Any ideas?

Remember, I've been messing with htt and desktop.ini files (moving them, deleting them, etc) in an effort to fix the folder-view issue. Would be nice to find a good description of how critical these files are to win-98, and if there's any in-built function to restore / rebuild these files to their "normal" or default structure.

Back in 1999 when I got introduced to computing with Windows 98 first edition, not knowing any better, when I had a problem I would just reinstall 98 on top of 98. As time went on I realized there were easier ways to fix minor issues. I don't know if this would work in your case but you sound desperate.

Even though I used a full OEM CD the installation routine worked like an upgrade with the option to back up the previous installation.

I believe the htt and desktop.ini files will be replaced with fresh copies with a time/date stamp of the installation time. I don't think these files were the cause of the initial problem however. It was probably some registry issue.

I don't suppose it would do any good if you are using a non-English copy of Windows but I could upload copies of desktop.ini and the htt files from my 98SE computer. They have not been modified since the installation date of 8 February 2005.